Mac 2015 Press Conf notes

Harry

- deepest condolences to Ratliff family at Charlotte

- great summer grades, were phenomenal finishing up summer 2 session now.  Academics is meaningful and we don't anticipate 

- Xavier Grindle did not make it academically

- Florida LB took his spot

- keep refreshing as I am updating as I can (Harry)

- Lou Carrela did a great job in conditioning.  Lou has team in best shape since I've been here.

- can't wait to get it going.  Very excited about this season.

- Has been around the program more this summer than at any other time.  Very pleased with the effort and development he has witnessed.

- everyone is shoveling dirt on us in the rankings.  We embrace that and take it as a challenge.

- Andrew McNulty is the starting QB but bottomline is we will be better at QB this year.

- everyone reported on time and healthy.  Everyone is ready to go.

- likes the offensive line.  We have more offensive linemen able to help us and play this year. Bonogu is in great shape this year.  I think we have a chance to be good up front.

- over 500 kids showed up to Friday night lights tells you something about what we are doing at this place.  

- 35 of the 105 actives were originally or currently walk-ons.

-  wide receiver mentioned Thompson and Daniel Khan, Kidsey and the Carthage boys as potential impact guys.

- 9 guys we have on dline this season played last season not including the transfers freshmen etc.  you will see more guys playing this year starting at SMU.  We trust more guys, more speed and athleticism.

- liked what he saw of McNair weighed in at 250 pounds as a true freshman on the UNT scales.  He and his mom hit a huge possum on the highway and had to drive back home and make repairs.  He is here and is showing good leadership qualities early on.

Edited by Harry

what was the response? did i miss that

Said they didnt bring him in here just to sit and watch. Didnt bring him in just to compete. Brought him to go for the starting job. 

but again

said they have 3 QBs who have been there all spring and summer and those guys have gotten better.

Like @Harry said McNulty is firmly the number 1 at the start of camp. 

• Upvote 2

Stating AM as our starter and claiming improvement at QB will happen in the same breath of air is comic relief. Unless his arm strength, field vision, pocket awareness, decision making, etc has significantly improved from just 4 short months ago I can't comprehend there being any real improvement. Going faster at the LOS as an offense is not going to improve these things. If anything, there could be a drop. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

I am trying to play/replay the video on the Periscope app via my phone and all I can see is a blurred view of the podium and backdrop.  I have let the video play for several minutes and no change.  Is there something special you have to do to replay the video now that it is over?

• Upvote 1

keep-calm-and-remember-it-can-t-get-any- 

Yep...and then 2008 happened.  Defense went from worst, to WORST!  Or in 2010, we were decimated by injuries...played our 3rd string center and 4th string QB for meaningful minutes for over half the games on the schedule.  It CAN get worse....so quit trying to jinx us!  :)

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 3

Yep...and then 2008 happened.  Defense went from worst, to WORST!  Or in 2010, we were decimated by injuries...played our 3rd string center and 4th string QB for meaningful minutes for over half the games on the schedule.  It CAN get worse....so quit trying to jinx us!  :)

I remember. Chase Baine got his moment in the sun because Dodge had nobody else to turn to. As bad as Todd Dodge was, he would find It laughable who we have starting at quarterback for us. I'm not convinced McNulty is any better than Baine was and Baine was 4TH STRING.

• Upvote 4

Stating AM as our starter and claiming improvement at QB will happen in the same breath of air is comic relief. Unless his arm strength, field vision, pocket awareness, decision making, etc has significantly improved from just 4 short months ago I can't comprehend there being any real improvement. Going faster at the LOS as an offense is not going to improve these things. If anything, there could be a drop. 

Seriously, The only thing I can see to help relieve the AM situation, is the OL/receivers/running backs making AM look good. The replay on Periscope shows a few fans showing displeasure with the QB situation too. I just don't see McNulty being a good answer this season. The most frustrating part is that we have to see Mac post a tweet of McNulty or hear him claim McNulty as our bus driver for months now. Its almost gotten to a point that I hope people stop asking him who the starting QB is, because I want to just end up completely surprised to see Smith or expectantly disappointed when we see McNulty lead our offense September 12th....  I hate the poisoning feeling of, "McNulty is our starting QB for the 2015 season". 

.....And then there is the Greer situation, which I can't even discuss my frustrations if he makes his way back.

• Upvote 3

When it comes to quarterback there is no rock bottom at UNT so yes, it can always get worse.

I guess you can spin the walk-on statistic either way but in my opinion, that's not a good sign. Granted you can only give 85 scholarships but 15 of the 85 being given to walk-ons is too much. 

• Upvote 3

I remember. Chase Baine got his moment in the sun because Dodge had nobody else to turn to. As bad as Todd Dodge was, he would find It laughable who we have starting at quarterback for us. I'm not convinced McNulty is any better than Baine was and Baine was 4TH STRING.

When it comes to quarterback there is no rock bottom at UNT so yes, it can always get worse.

I guess you can spin the walk-on statistic either way but in my opinion, that's not a good sign. Granted you can only give 85 scholarships but 15 of the 85 being given to walk-ons is too much. 

I don't see it as getting worse. What if it gets to the point where they have to play Dillman at QB? He probably has the most potential at QB of all the players on the roster. So Dillman takes over as the 5th QB next year and never looks back. All of a sudden we become the next Boise St. I'm mean it could happen

• Upvote 2

I don't see it as getting worse. What if it gets to the point where they have to play Dillman at QB? He probably has the most potential at QB of all the players on the roster. So Dillman takes over as the 5th QB next year and never looks back. All of a sudden we become the next Boise St. I'm mean it could happen

Yea and I'm a dictionary salesman.

526x297-4Sg.jpg

• Upvote 2

The walk on thing is neither. It is a function of being in a recruit rich area and not charging private school level tuition. This allows UNT to get more walk-ons who only barely missed out on getting ships than -for example -SMU. The fact that their chances of earning ships is also improved by the schollie players not always being as good as they should is the other side of the coin. But to me, if SMU has no more than a few walkons who are good enough to earn a schollie because people are not willing/able to pay extra for basically the same education, and at the same time we have a hard time picking among all the qualified walk-on contenders on campus, then that really is not a bad/good sign in itself, it is mostly a function of the respective schools situation and the coaches attitude toward them.  

Personally, If I can sift through and take the best of 20 guys who barely missed out on getting an FBS offer after they made the jump to college instead of only seeing them in high school, I would bet that more often than not the guy I'd come up with would beat out a high 2 star who did get a schollie.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2

I am trying to play/replay the video on the Periscope app via my phone and all I can see is a blurred view of the podium and backdrop.  I have let the video play for several minutes and no change.  Is there something special you have to do to replay the video now that it is over?

I watched the replay on Periscope on the way home from work.  Try again?

• Upvote 1