Former Texas Tech OL transfers to UNT

I can tell you as an Argyle High graduate, that this might be a simple overlooked benefactor. That school, as well as Liberty Christian builds their way of things off athletics. I can't tell you how many half days and days off the school we were given to leave school early to go travel for the Friday night games. (I realize there might be other HS's that are like this.) But Argyle is 10 minutes away from UNT.

Recruiting kids and transfers from that area, would greatly benefit UNT's fanbase. A lot of those kids might be recruited to the P5 programs, but given the chance we have with this Texas Tech transfer, I can see the benefit of this. 

I speculated about the "good will" angle because I too came from a small school and community (Decatur), and I know how much those people genuinely appreciate it when someone like a D-1 college football program reaches out to them. People from these communities love football and if North Texas gives them any viable excuse to extend their football weekend, they will take it. Especially if it's logistically possible.  Andy Flusche is good example. Once he became a part of the team, we didn't just have mom and pop showing up to games, we had a large custom RV show up and a pretty noticeable number of people (and their excellent BBQ) along with it. I'd be willing to bet that that becomes a Saturday tradition for them long after Mr. Flusche finishes his eligibility here.

Now, I'm not suggesting that we go out and offer "ships" to marginal players from local small programs just to get the communities involved. But I AM suggesting that our promotions people should reach out to these communities on a regular basis and give those communities a viable excuse to be part of our program. And if those communities happen to produce some outstanding players from time to time.......all the better.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1