Former Texas Tech OL transfers to UNT

Trey Keenan, a former Argyle OL and three-star recruit, has transferred to UNT.  He will be eligible to play in 2016.  

More info on this to come.  Below is a story from January on his decision to leave TT.  

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2015/01/texas-tech-loses-two-lineman-including-former-argyle-standout-trey-keenan.html/

• Upvote 5

Welcome aboard and glad to have him, but he is going to be sorely disappointed if he is coming here and expecting to be bigger than most everyone else.

He will have a hard time cracking the starting lineup unless he comes here  ready to work hard.  

Looking forward to seeing if he can make an impact.  The article says he was a redshirt sophomore last year, I assume he will have 1 year of eligibility?

Edited by greenit
  • Upvote 5

Oh, but it is how it works.  5 years to play 4.

He was aredshirt sophomore last year.

Year 1- Redshirt

Year 2- Redshirt Freshman

Year 3- Redshirt Sophomore

Year 4- Sits out due to transfer

Year 5- One year to play

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you understand.

I have always been under the impression that sitting out does not eat up a year of eligibility. If you're right then you're right and I stand corrected. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Welcome aboard and glad to have him, but he is going to be sorely disappointed if he is coming here and expecting to be bigger than most everyone else.

He will have a hard time cracking the starting lineup unless he comes here  ready to work hard.  

Looking forward to seeing if he can make an impact.  The article says he was a redshirt sophomore last year, I assume he will have 1 year of eligibility?

Who will he have a hard time getting in front of? A kid with that many offers can play no doubt, as shown by him playing a lot early on. This will be huge for us next year bringing back majority of a line, filling in holes with good talent. I'm loving the way things are shaping up around MGN!! 

• Upvote 3

I would be very happy to see him succeed. History tells us that players that can't crack the two deep at their position at other programs don't automatically see success here. 

His playing time has been primarily on special teams and his time dropped dramatically last season and must not have improved his stock after spring if he left the program. 

Best of luck to him. I hope he proves that the Tech coaches wrong and he blows up his senior season. 

• Upvote 2

I would be very happy to see him succeed. History tells us that players that can't crack the two deep at their position at other programs don't automatically see success here. 

His playing time has been primarily on special teams and his time dropped dramatically last season and must not have improved his stock after spring if he left the program. 

Best of luck to him. I hope he proves that the Tech coaches wrong and he blows up his senior season. 

he played in 13 games a RS freshman and 4 as a soph, you don't think they may have thought he could cram 280/290/300 lbs on his frame and it just didn't happen?? Come on man, the dude has 15 + offers, sometimes crap doesn't work out for whatever reason. The kids got immense talent.  I can't wait for him to prove me right and dominate an OL position for us for a year. Glad this young man is aboard! 

• Upvote 1

he played in 13 games a RS freshman and 4 as a soph, you don't think they may have thought he could cram 280/290/300 lbs on his frame and it just didn't happen?? Come on man, the dude has 15 + offers, sometimes crap doesn't work out for whatever reason. The kids got immense talent.  I can't wait for him to prove me right and dominate an OL position for us for a year. Glad this young man is aboard! 

That's sort of where I am on this.  Guy has talent and could find a good fit with us.  Welcome aboard Trey!

Oh, but it is how it works.  5 years to play 4.

He was aredshirt sophomore last year.

Year 1- Redshirt

Year 2- Redshirt Freshman

Year 3- Redshirt Sophomore

Year 4- Sits out due to transfer

Year 5- One year to play

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you understand.

Unless this year is his RS Soph year. He will then have two years left to play here. I'm basing this on the tendency to refer to players as what they will be this year, not what they were last year.

• Upvote 1

Ever heard of Cam Feldt?

Unless this year is his RS Soph year. He will then have two years left to play here. I'm basing this on the tendency to refer to players as what they will be this year, not what they were last year.

2015 season will be year 4 in which he sits out before becoming eligible in 2016, his RS senior season.

Edited by Cr1028

Ever heard of Cam Feldt?

2015 season will be year 4 in which he sits out before becoming eligible in 2016, his RS senior season.

Welp, in that case, unless this young man is pretty exceptional, I don't see much benefit to bringing him in, other than creating good will with the Argyle football program and community.

• Upvote 1

Welp, in that case, unless this young man is pretty exceptional, I don't see much benefit to bringing him in, other than creating good will with the Argyle football program and community.

Nobody talked about it, but I assume he is only given a roster spot, but not actually a scholarship (where would we be taking that from anyway, I thought we were all out after taking the Florida Linebacker). In this case  the risk/investment is rather small and the potential for reward decent, even if he might only be getting meaningful time for one season (or bomb like any player can), because there is also a legit chance he might start next season.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

other than creating good will with the Argyle football program and community.

I can tell you as an Argyle High graduate, that this might be a simple overlooked benefactor. That school, as well as Liberty Christian builds their way of things off athletics. I can't tell you how many half days and days off the school we were given to leave school early to go travel for the Friday night games. (I realize there might be other HS's that are like this.) But Argyle is 10 minutes away from UNT.

Recruiting kids and transfers from that area, would greatly benefit UNT's fanbase. A lot of those kids might be recruited to the P5 programs, but given the chance we have with this Texas Tech transfer, I can see the benefit of this. 

Edited by GreenTexan13
  • Upvote 1

Ever heard of Cam Feldt?

yes and to compare the two is a tragedy, I watched cam in HS. He didn't deserve any offers, he was soft as an OL.   I also watched this cat in HS actually scouted him a few times. I thought this kid deserved more offers than he got, but I now realize people were scared of his frame. 

Cam had 3 offers Arkansas, Baylor, and Tech, he was 6'5" 290'in HS, you tell me why he didn't work out. Clearly enoug flashing signs to plenty of colleges in the USA. We took a shot because of his brother, he came in and acted like he was to good to do anything UNT did and got ran off. Please please please, these two kids aren't even in the same league.