Denton a Top College Town

Side Show Joe

Livability.com has named Denton one of the top College Towns in America, landing at #5 on their list, ahead of more famous college towns like Florida's Gainsville, Nebraska's Lincoln, and even Harvard's Cambridge . We should be selling this to recruits and using recognitions like this and the "Home Field Advantage" title to market our program.

"Denton officials are always looking for ways to make their city stand out, like creating new verbs. Uniqueness, diversity and independence are embraced in Denton, a college town that is home to both the University of North Texas and Texas Woman’s University. The city’s organic, grassroots vibe mixes well with the youthful energy that nearly 50,000 college students bring and the innovations business owners continually bring forward, making Denton one of the Top 10 Best College Towns."

"Fun Fact: A military airport tug purchased on eBay is used to carry the 1,600-pound bell that used at UNT football games and other events."

http://www.livability.com/top-10/college/10-best-college-towns/2015/tx/denton

• Upvote 5

If Denton is number 7, I'd hate to see number 85.  Denton is a very divided college town...plus, we only get a photo of a roach coach and everyone else gets pics of their beautiful campus, etc. Oh well, we have much more to worry about than Livability's opinions. Too negative? Maybe so.

• Downvote 5

If Denton is number 7, I'd hate to see number 85.  Denton is a very divided college town...plus, we only get a photo of a roach coach and everyone else gets pics of their beautiful campus, etc. Oh well, we have much more to worry about than Livability's opinions. Too negative? Maybe so.

It is a shame, because UNT probably has the most beautiful campus in Texas. (I have been to UT, A&M, and Baylor's campus). They should have included a pic of the campus on there. Denton is weird, it isn't a town running strictly on college life like you see somewhere that would be a no name town without the college. I do think the city struggles at community support for UNT, and I wish TWU would just conjoin with UNT, because it divides the city from UNT support. But Denton definitely deserves to be up there with the top college cities. 

• Upvote 2

What makes a great college town?  I always find it odd that these things still rate selection of bars for a population that has theoretically been required to be 21 years old for the past thirty years.  Is it the university logo all over town?  The mayor cutting ribbons at school construction projects?  The kiwanis club contributing scholarships?  The panty raids at walmart?

I'm asking honestly.  I definitely did not go to school in a "college town."  We all fled to the beach six miles away and pretty much ignored the campus and surrounding area when not in class.  The joke back then was that (Our school name) would be a great addition to (the city name) if only it weren't for all those pesky students.  The very master planned community residing within city limits was very, very much NOT in favor of a bunch of unwashed masses lurking about with backpacks in hand.

• Upvote 2

I've been to most of these towns and agree Denton ranks right up there. But the ranking of Durham as #2 casts some real doubt on their process.

Durham has one of the highest crime cities in the county with failing public schools and a downtown that is all but deserted at night. Things are getting better but there is still a long ways to go.  On the other hand, neighboring Chapel Hill which hosts UNC, is the archetypical college town. Even the village's fire trucks are painted baby blue!

Edited by letsgiveacheer
typo

It is a shame, because UNT probably has the most beautiful campus in Texas. (I have been to UT, A&M, and Baylor's campus). They should have included a pic of the campus on there. Denton is weird, it isn't a town running strictly on college life like you see somewhere that would be a no name town without the college. I do think the city struggles at community support for UNT, and I wish TWU would just conjoin with UNT, because it divides the city from UNT support. But Denton definitely deserves to be up there with the top college cities.

I enjoy the UNT campus as well but there is no way you can put it above the Rice campus and dare I say SMU.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

The poll is college town not college campus.  Familiarity breeds contempt to some degree and obviously no one can adequately review every college town to rate them.  I will say that Denton is a much better town to visit and live in than decades back when I was a student.  Also of the college towns I have been to; I will give Denton the nod.

Despite being in a large urban mass, Denton has forged out it's own identity.   Denton lags substantially in support of their colleges, but the overall environment is hard to beat.    

I think I'll agree that on the whole, the City of Denton is not vocal about UNT support.

BUT if you go to several restaurants in town, both local and chain, there's tons of support. Restaurants around the square, and around Industrial have gear and calendars on the walls. Chicken Express, heck even McAlister's on the Loop. Lot's of businesses do a deal that if you wear green on Friday you get a discount. 

It would be nice to see the square decorated in green every once in a while, though. TCU has purple street signs (I think with the frog?) as you get closer to campus.

• Upvote 1

I agree that Rice's campus takes the prize. No if's, and's, or but's. SMU has a nice campus, but... I don't see it being that much better then the other college campuses around TX.

The location of the Rice campus is horrible!  And, anyone who thinks the Houston campus is anything more than an urban university campus is blind.  Now, are there some pretty spots on each campus, absolutely!  But, overall, both leave lots and lots to be desired.  My opinion, of course.  I would expect Houston folks to have a different opinion...and they well should.  Local pride and all....

I think I'll agree that on the whole, the City of Denton is not vocal about UNT support.

BUT if you go to several restaurants in town, both local and chain, there's tons of support. Restaurants around the square, and around Industrial have gear and calendars on the walls. Chicken Express, heck even McAlister's on the Loop. Lot's of businesses do a deal that if you wear green on Friday you get a discount. 

It would be nice to see the square decorated in green every once in a while, though. TCU has purple street signs (I think with the frog?) as you get closer to campus.

yeah, a lot of the Denton bars have UNT decorations. There is a favorite place of mine, that I enjoy going to and it has a big UNT eagle fluorescent light bulb sign. The only problem is, there is a big UT longhorn  sign almost right next to it. I'm not going to name the place, but I really wish that longhorn sign would go away.

One of the cool things here recently is businesses like Audacity or ESSC getting involved with UNT Athletics, and I'm noticing Wal Mart, Target, and Acadamy expanding their UNT gear selections as well. Hats off to them!

I hope @Ben Gooding is right, It would be cool to see city street signs with a UNT eagle on them. I think that would be a step in the right direction to achieve community involvement and awareness.

The location of the Rice campus is horrible!  And, anyone who thinks the Houston campus is anything more than an urban university campus is blind.  Now, are there some pretty spots on each campus, absolutely!  But, overall, both leave lots and lots to be desired.  My opinion, of course.  I would expect Houston folks to have a different opinion...and they well should.  Local pride and all....

Once again, you must be confusing the area Rice is in with the area UH is in, because West U is one of the most upscale areas in Houston.  Now the area around UH / Tx Southern is downright dangerous.

• Upvote 1

I am trying to figure out from which angle you approached the Rice campus. It is surrounded on three sides by the West U neighborhood which is quite nice with large homes with old growth trees and well manicured lawns. On the fourth side are museums and the medical center. The MC has a lot of congestion with all of the buildings, so maybe that turned you off. Enter the campus from Main street and be prepared to be very impressed.

Now, for full disclosure, I have lived in Houston for quite some time, but was born in Dallas (East Oak Cliff) Shout out to Cadillac Heights! So, you won't see me joining in on the Houston vs Dallas skirmishes. But, maybe you could give Rice one more chance. 

As for UH, I can't disagree.

Edited by cwb
  • Upvote 1

I seem to recall a lot of green & white street signs in Denton...

• Upvote 4

I am trying to figure out from which angle you approached the Rice campus. It is surrounded on three sides by the West U neighborhood which is quite nice with large homes with old growth trees and well manicured lawns. One the fourth side are museums and the medical center. The MC has a lot of congestion with all of the buildings, so maybe that turned you off. Enter the campus from Main street and be prepared to be very impressed.

Now, for full disclosure, I have lived in Houston for quite some time, but was born in Dallas (East Oak Cliff) Shout out to Cadillac Heights! So, you won't see me joining in on the Houston vs Dallas skirmishes. But, maybe you could give Rice one more chance. 

As for UH, I can't disagree.

I've jokingly rang the gong for Dallas in these faux battles, but also have friends who live in West U. I was just as confused as you were.

• Upvote 1

I agree that Rice's campus takes the prize. No if's, and's, or but's. SMU has a nice campus, but... I don't see it being that much better then the other college campuses around TX.

I would put most private Texas universities in a different league with "campus beautification and aesthetics" (e.g. Rice, TCU, DBU, etc.).  Which is fine... those schools simply have more money to spend on campus beautification and architecture that most state schools.

I would honestly say that UNT's campus look and feel is on-par with most state schools and definitely better than the urban/downtown campuses like UH and UTSA.

UNT projects a *MUCH* better image today than when I started in 1986.  At that time, the "gateway" to the university was a rusted metal sign at the corner of Ave C and Chestnut.  Still a lot of work to do with the I-35 corridor, but we've come a long, long way from 1986.

• Upvote 2

What?

Literally the dumbest thing you've ever posted. The location of Rice is horrible? It's in the Museum District, Montrose and West U. What in the hell are you even talking about? It's not even about local pride, you're just clearly misinformed. People who hate Houston even love the Hermann Park/Museum District/Montrose/West U area. I think you're thinking of UH.

UH's campus is in the Third Ward, a horrible part of town, has little foliage and is a bunch of oddly-sized skyscrapers capped off by an underwhelming new student union. UH's campus sucks, sure. Rice, though?

I would say we have one of the better looking public universities. There are some pretty ugly parts--down by the Environmental Science building/College Inn/Rec Center/West Hall/Cement City but there are some obscenely beautiful spots like the Auditorium Building area and the Mall, obviously. The only public one I think that is better (as far as aesthetic appeal only) is Texas State-San Marcos.

Well...thank you Ryan.  "Dumbest"?  Honestly, I doubt that...confused as to the campus I was referring to in the post perhaps so now that it has been pointed out to me by those much more experienced with the locations of the two campuses.  I am sure now that Rice is a CUSA mate that I will become much more knowledgeable about that location and probably will not make this same locational boo boo in the future.  But, thanks again.

• Upvote 1

Fun Fact: A military airport tug purchased on eBay is used to carry the 1,600-pound bell that used at UNT football games and other events.

I've yet to see that bell inside Apogee stadium. And I haven't seen it in the tailgating area either. I know the bell actually belongs to the people who also bought the "tug", so they can mount it any way they want. But IMHO it should have been mounted on a small trailer (like it was originally) so that it could be brought inside the stadium with less trouble. The bell was the original spirit icon at NT, pre-dating the cannon.

I enjoy the UNT campus as well but there is no way you can put it above the Rice campus and dare I say SMU.

I have to disagree.  UNT is much easier on the eyes. Especially in the Spring when shorts and dresses come out. I'm not into buildings or trees.  Additionally, Texas State has the river running through it with bikinis. I never even saw a building or vegetation, just bikinis on agua. 

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 2