SMU Fans claim wins happen year after losses to UNT historically

Harry

SMU vs. UNT

Postby PonyTime » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:50 pm

For those who have a hard time predicting SMU over UNT in their season predictions, just look at the track record.

Every time we lose to those guys - the next time we play them it is turned around.

1977 - Loss by 11 @SMU
1979 - win by 11 @SMU

1990 - Loss by 7 @ UNT
1992 - Win by 14 @ SMU

2006 - Loss by 18 @UNT
2007 - Win by 14 @SMU

I say we win by about 35 or so and then they can fire their coach after the game...

What isn't telling about these numbers is we completely destroyed them to the point their coach was drummed off campus and we did it with a horrid team. Did their team completely rebuild in less than one year? They were left in bad shape by their coaching staff. Will it help them to be dismantled by Baylor in week 1? Doubtful.

That said, if we show up with last years QB play, then this has the makings of an epic pillow fight. Start 1-0 with these guys then put them in the rear view...

• Upvote 4

"I say we win by about 35 or so and then they can fire their coach after the game..."

Hahahahaha! I'm sorry, but that is a bold statement. Especially coming from a 1-11 record last year and getting their clock cleaned in Denton. I think I see some bad taste in their mouth about us causing their coach to run out with his tail in between his legs last year.

I hate SMU fans, because of crap like this flowing out of their mouths 

• Upvote 4

What isn't telling about these numbers is we completely destroyed them to the point their coach was drummed off campus and we did it with a horrid team. Did their team completely rebuild in less than one year? They were left in bad shape by their coaching staff. Will it help them to be dismantled by Baylor in week 1? Doubtful.

That said, if we show up with last years QB play, then this has the makings of an epic pillow fight. Start 1-0 with these guys then put them in the rear view...

This was only the second game of the season and our first home game. The defense was still aggressive at that point.

"I say we win by about 35 or so and then they can fire their coach after the game..."

Hahahahaha! I'm sorry, but that is a bold statement. Especially coming from a 1-11 record last year and getting their clock cleaned in Denton. I think I see some bad taste in their mouth about us causing their coach to run out with his tail in between his legs last year.

I hate SMU fans, because of crap like this flowing out of their mouths 

SMU Fans?

ed866dfdc1aade581d01b5fd56a4b6a344a7d969

• Upvote 2

Well if SMU is Shooter McGavin and if Shooter McGavin eats pieces of Shit and if Shooter McGavin wound up loosing to Happy Gilmore for the Golden Jacket and UNT is Happy gilmore, then........ SMU Eats Pieces of Shit?

I interpreted the post as you saying you eat SMU fans for breakfast. Vague comedy yet making SMU either the shit OR the shit eater (bonus points) so rated 6/10.

• Upvote 2

How'd that work out for him? I can't recall the ending of that film.

Shooter McGavin= SMU= Rich Smug guy who hangs out at the country club and preys on the new guys at the bar

Happy Gilmore= UNT= just the average joe who takes the golden jacket away from the smugs on gameday

(hope the photo below gives you a reminder of the end of the film.)

hqdefault.jpg

• Upvote 3

I hate dirty schmoo more than your average UNT fan who hates dirty schmoo.  I think that's saying something....

Anyways....in our 6 away games last year (ALL losses, btw) our average margin of defeat was 22.6 pts.  I'd say that IF we lose, chances are good that it won't be pretty.  Throw in the uncertainty that a new DC brings (I know Cosh has like 105 years of experience, but he's presided over some of the worst run defenses in college football history.  When paired with a solid, defensive minded HC his defenses have faired better.  Either way, just like our QB situation, I'm skeptical until I see it with my own eyeballs in a live game), a completely rebuilt offensive line and our rotating QB circus, and I'm scared of this first game more than in most years.  

• Upvote 1

The thing about last year's game, when you watch it over, SMU was their biggest enemy. They continually did things to screw themselves with bad decisions and the ugliest execution I have ever seen.  They were out of this game at the very first kick off.  We simply capitalized on their mistakes with a defense that still had something to prove at that time.  

I hope for the same result, but I think we will win by 13 this game. 

• Upvote 1

Some of the better comments for the bulletin board from SMU's board...

"2007 was a win for Bennet, but it was also his only win of the whole season. The Safeway Bowl is currently at 28–5–1, not that I endorse it as a series. I see it more as the canary in the coal mine. 11 more games scheduled, need to get this to 39-5-1."

"Agreed, never again will we let that commuter school beat us."

"I like how everyone is assuming UNT is a win. I hope it is but I dont put them in the auto win collumn until next year"

"We lost to UNT last year by ~40 points, yet everyone on here has that down as a win. While our crop of freshman is better than the seniors they replace, they are still freshman and will struggle. "

"The coach who shall not be named was probably a huge reason as to why we lost to NTSU last year. He had clearly mailed it in and the team fed off his lack of energy & commitment, and that stupid offense he ran."

"I agree with those who are concerned about UNT game and think it may very well be the key to our season. Most of us expect to be trounced again by Baylor, but beating UNT after getting drubbed by them last year would go a long ways towards building some confidence. Lose to them at Ford and we are going to find out what our guys are made of (and how many might be run off at season's end). For these guys to win as many as 4 games, I see UNT as a "must win" game"

"My pride will simply not let me consider losing to NTSU 2 years in a row....especially in our house."

Edited by Paulie Walnuts
  • Upvote 1

"2007 was a win for Bennet, but it was also his only win of the whole season. The Safeway Bowl is currently at 28–5–1, not that I endorse it as a series. I see it more as the canary in the coal mine. 11 more games scheduled, need to get this to 39-5-1."

"I like how everyone is assuming UNT is a win. I hope it is but I dont put them in the auto win collumn until next year"

"We lost to UNT last year by ~40 points, yet everyone on here has that down as a win. While our crop of freshman is better than the seniors they replace, they are still freshman and will struggle. "

"The coach who shall not be named was probably a huge reason as to why we lost to NTSU last year. He had clearly mailed it in and the team fed off his lack of energy & commitment, and that stupid offense he ran."

"I agree with those who are concerned about UNT game and think it may very well be the key to our season. Most of us expect to be trounced again by Baylor, but beating UNT after getting drubbed by them last year would go a long ways towards building some confidence. Lose to them at Ford and we are going to find out what our guys are made of (and how many might be run off at season's end). For these guys to win as many as 4 games, I see UNT as a "must win" game"

"My pride will simply not let me consider losing to NTSU 2 years in a row....especially in our house."

Well, this commuter school will have 12-15k strong in their own stadium ready to watch UNT whip some ass. Book it. 

• Upvote 3

Your house huh? We shall see about that.

• Upvote 1