GMG.com Twit my Tweet 8.2.15

Harry

We shall, however, take zero consideration as to the overall cost of attendance and average income for the students though, right?  F 'em.  We got ours.  $300 ain't that big of an increase.  Let's see you match it, big spender.

Edit:  Aw, Harry, did you go and delete the fun posts that followed this one?  It was just getting exciting around here!

you make 0 sense. Zip zero zilch. So you say I as a person who already donates, should be forced to match raised student fees?? What school do you really support? Never seen in the history of college athletics seen a student fee correlate to a raise in donor members giving. But keep being delusional, that's worked real well for you huh? 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Have you ever considered that this topic makes you angrier than it rationally should?

No because I don't get angry. I just try to understand people's points, then when I can't we can go back and forth about it. I am just not sure how raising the student fees to simply match or maybe even beat a few competitor schools would be a bad thing for the university. You are talking like it is the end all be all to students getting their bank broke. Decent argument at private schools or Harvard, Yale etc. UNT is already a great education for a fairly inexepnsive price comparable to other universities. 

No because I don't get angry. I just try to understand people's points, then when I can't we can go back and forth about it. I am just not sure how raising the student fees to simply match or maybe even beat a few competitor schools would be a bad thing for the university. You are talking like it is the end all be all to students getting their bank broke. Decent argument at private schools or Harvard, Yale etc. UNT is already a great education for a fairly inexepnsive price comparable to other universities. 

OK.  You want my honest opinion on this?  I don't mind that there's a student fee.  

What I mind is that there are a great number of alumni here who feel the end all be all solution to all our woes is to stick it to the students to and above the maximum allowable by law without assuming any personal financial responsibility.  

The proposed student fee of $600 ($20 X 15 hours X 2 semesters) is a greater amount than the total annual amount given by some very vocally in favor of this fee, gainfully employed alumni.  That bothers me.  I mean, you can easily look this up in your home game program.  It's not hard math.    

Lots of talk about entitlement on this board.  Somebody who pays less than $500 a year who is employed full time, demanding that un/under-employed students be tasked with paying a greater amount so that said alum can reap personal benefit is the very epitome of entitlement to me.

I believe you should pay more.  I believe I should pay more.  Students?  I believe they should be sold on the experience so that when they're out of school, when they have real money in real bank accounts with real disposable income, they'll buy in of their own accord for amounts much greater than $600.

• Upvote 6

OK.  You want my honest opinion on this?  I don't mind that there's a student fee.  

What I mind is that there are a great number of alumni here who feel the end all be all solution to all our woes is to stick it to the students to and above the maximum allowable by law without assuming any personal financial responsibility.  

The proposed student fee of $600 ($20 X 15 hours X 2 semesters) is a greater amount than the total annual amount given by some very vocally in favor of this fee, gainfully employed alumni.  That bothers me.  I mean, you can easily look this up in your home game program.  It's not hard math.    

Lots of talk about entitlement on this board.  Somebody who pays less than $500 a year who is employed full time, demanding that un/under-employed students be tasked with paying a greater amount so that said alum can reap personal benefit is the very epitome of entitlement to me.

I believe you should pay more.  I believe I should pay more.  Students?  I believe they should be sold on the experience so that when they're out of school, when they have real money in real bank accounts with real disposable income, they'll buy in of their own accord for amounts much greater than $600.

There's a larger issue at work here, bigger than what alumni and students choose to give (or what they're forced to give).

The entire "arms race" that is facilities in college athletics, and universities in general, is ridiculous.  Higher education is desperate to offer value to the degrees outside of the actual education.  Rec centers, internet access, amenities, etc...all of that is an an absurd level and it is going to take it's toll on everyone.  In economic terms, this is a bubble waiting to pop.

• Upvote 3

There's a larger issue at work here, bigger than what alumni and students choose to give (or what they're forced to give).

The entire "arms race" that is facilities in college athletics, and universities in general, is ridiculous.  Higher education is desperate to offer value to the degrees outside of the actual education.  Rec centers, internet access, amenities, etc...all of that is an an absurd level and it is going to take it's toll on everyone.  In economic terms, this is a bubble waiting to pop.

Until I got to your last sentence, I was immediately going to respond with the term bubble.  I'm starting to think that sports in general is in a bubble.  Even outside college, I don't know how much more the whole thing can sustain.

• Upvote 2

And if I understand correctly, the fees are just rolled into student loans for many of these kids. Those loans are a burden to the ability of future alums earning potential....and my optimism for the future job opportunities for this generation is waning. Many of these government backed loans will go into default, so ultimately you and I will pay the increase in fees anyway.

GMG

• Upvote 3

A little recent history lesson. We passed on Coach Fran and hired McCarney. Ain't no way in hell RV is going to schedule Texas St. and risk a craphole type performance. 

Aint gonna happen.

I could care less about Texas St. and their SMU sized traveling fan base.

Schedule better. Have some standards.

This will be happening in the very near future, for HUB Club Members, due to the fact that most of the original Stadium Donations will be paid off within the next year.

Yep, the 5 year payments are finished next year, and I expect the donation level to increase to $1000 to keep your seat license (for lack of a better term). 

As as far as @oldguystudent argument, it would hold more water if other universities at our level in our state didn't already have an athletic fee of twice the amount of UNT. He is basically arguing to repeat the sins of the past. Do we really want to stay the discount degree for the state of Texas?

He does make one great point. He is looking at athletic fees as a part of the college choice for his daughter. Everyone should consider every fee and examine the likelyhood of those fees increasing before they enroll. If they have a problem with them, go somewhere else that doesn't have an athletic fee.

As far as woe is the student that is forced to pay these fees, please remember that it was the students that voted to enact the fee in the first place. Maybe THEY want an athletic program to be proud of upon graduation. Maybe they want a competitive football and basketball team to add to their college experience. Ya, I know the implementation was delayed 4 years, but see the above paragraph as to why this doesn't matter (don't like it, go to another university). That's why the fee was set up the way it was, so every student has a choice.

• Upvote 1