Athletics Fee Increase Coming in 2016/ New Track Facility

UNTflyer

Sorry guys, I've been away since last season...

But I came across this nugget in the BOR finance committee powerpoint.

Planned Use of Reserves
• $400,000 to Athletics from Student Service Fees Reserve
Fall 2015 differential due to increased Athletics fee beginning Spring 2016. 

$1.3M – Preparation, architectural costs for Applied Physics building at Discovery Park ($0.8M) and Track and Field/Recreational Sports fields ($0.5M)

Edited by UNTflyer
  • Upvote 7

Is there any way of knowing the amount of the increase per hour?

It did not specify.

Also, we have paid off our $2 million entry fee to C-USA 

Doing that before baseball? Master plan has a track facility by the tennis courts for when they demolish the rest of Fouts, but I figured that would be years away. Maybe this is to upgrade the current facility? 

Baseball Stadium is listed as "Planned Project without Identified Funding Source"

• Upvote 2

It did not specify.

Also, we have paid off our $2 million entry fee to C-USA 

Baseball Stadium is listed as "Planned Project without Identified Funding Source"

Is it possible that the fee is not going up, but we have extra left over due to paying off the CUSA entry fee?  I am guessing any excess will go to cover COA for now.

I think RV's plan is to wait out the university for the track.  They clearly want and need the Fouts area for housing.  If they want it bad enough, they may be willing to build a track just to get Athletics to move across the highway. 

Getting the track built by the University comes with some disadvantages, as we have seen with The Pit.  They would own it, but what else would they actually use it for?

As far as an indoor track facility, it would be a good move at some future point.  I cannot think of anyone in the DFW area that has one.  I think the closest may be in Waco.  We could then rent out the facility to other schools.  The biggest drawback is the indoor track is a short season sport and the facility really isn't good for much else.

• Upvote 2

I think RV's plan is to wait out the university for the track.  They clearly want and need the Fouts area for housing.  If they want it bad enough, they may be willing to build a track just to get Athletics to move across the highway. 

Getting the track built by the University comes with some disadvantages, as we have seen with The Pit.  They would own it, but what else would they actually use it for?

As far as an indoor track facility, it would be a good move at some future point.  I cannot think of anyone in the DFW area that has one.  I think the closest may be in Waco.  We could then rent out the facility to other schools.  The biggest drawback is the indoor track is a short season sport and the facility really isn't good for much else.

it could be built in such a way that football could use it as well, then that would be great. not sure if that would be possible though. 

• Upvote 1

Indoor tracks are usually a 200 meter circumference instead of the 400 meter outdoor tracks. it would be difficult to do a multipurpose indoor facility with a competition ready track around it because of the gradation required on the indoor tracks...

• Upvote 1

Do you really think that the AD is going to pressure the school into anything?  It hardly works that way.   RV works for the President, who makes these decisions.  The Super Pit was built as a University facility because it was the only way to finance it at the time.  It was not built really to be a multi-purpose building, it was constructed to give NT a first rate basketball arena. 

NT knows they have to have a track facility, and they probably won't level Fputs until they do.  The advantage of building the Super PIt as a multi-purpose building was that they could use state funds.  I think that is very difficult to do these days so there is no reason to not have it designated as an athletic project. 

• Upvote 2

I don't think it is a matter of pressure.  I think it is a matter of waiting them out.  There is a track in place.  There is no hurry for Athletics to build a new one.  All he has to do is wait until housing needs the space bad enough.

And it sucks that the Pit belongs to the University and not the Athletic Department.  It sucks that the Women's basketball team had to finish the season playing at TWU.  I didn't see the Pres solving that either.  I also don't see the Pres putting any money into the Pit.  Would it hurt to let the Mean Green Club put a little paint on the walls?

I'm not real sold on this Pres yet.  From what I understand, he is the biggest holdup on baseball.

Arkansas turned their old Indoor Track facility into a nice 6 court Indoor Tennis Facility

Honest question because I truly don't know.  Does an indoor practice facility require a full 100 X 53 yard field?

No. I've seen some that are 60 x 53 (One full end zone, hence the extra 10 yards) and TCU's is 100 x 53, but it's an 80 yard field with two full end zones.

• Upvote 1

Which of the following fees is the athletic fee?  Student service fee?

ChargeDue DateTermAmount
Technology Use Fee
08/13/2015
2015 Fall
Recreational Facility Fee
08/13/2015
2015 Fall
Student Service Fee
08/13/2015
2015 Fall
Environmental Services Fee
08/13/2015