C-USA coaches heap praise on Doughty, WKU offense

BOCA RATON, Fla. — Western Kentucky sixth-year senior quarterback Brandon Doughty said he's "Grandpa Brandon" around the program.

Senior linebacker Nick Holt joked that Doughty has been in college for 20 years. Doughty said it feels more "like 36 years."

But this year is Doughty's final go-around – for real this time.

"WKU is on the up and coming right now, and I'm really excited to see where our program goes after I leave this place," Doughty said Wednesday at Conference USA Football Media Day at the Boca Raton Resort & Club.

"Hopefully I leave. I promise this is the last one."

Opposing coaches and players are glad this is truly the last year for Doughty, too.

Last season's league MVP and this season's preseason offensive player of the year is back for one more run after receiving a medical hardship waiver from the NCAA in December, stemming from two season-ending knee injuries earlier in his career.

After leading the nation in passing yards and touchdowns last year, Doughty figures to be a nightmare for the competition again.

"They've got a quarterback who could play for the majority of the teams in the country, if not all of them," North Texas coach Dan McCarney said. "He's that good. I've been on teams with Heisman Trophy winners. I've coached against Heisman Trophy winners. You know when really outstanding, special guys are there."

read more: http://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/wku/c-usa-coaches-heap-praise-on-doughty-wku-offense/article_e4bf632e-e928-51fd-b9d7-fd47abf798f2.html

• Downvote 1