MGB: Full UNT men's basketball schedule

He came here in 2012, right?  He said he packed four suits.  I believe he's only worn three so far. So, really, all he need do is throw those in a dry cleaning bag and wear the one he's still got.

Didn't he win a game at the conference tourney in his second year? I'm pretty sure he did so that means he's used all four by now.

Unless Benford does something like hit a player or shoot an usher, he's not getting fired midseason. If we were serious about replacing him, we'd have already done it... We're not going to slide in an interim coach midway through a season, especially not in this sport, where you can pretend that there's always hope of a conference tournament run. Even if we're godawful or if Benford pulls a Shanice, he's not getting canned midyear. Hell, we had a coach go after a fan in the stands once (hey, Silver!), and even he didn't get cut loose midyear. And considering how things have gone with lame duck coaches being retained to finish a season, I doubt we'll be trying that experiment again. So, we're not firing Benford until the season is over. 

Conference tournament runs March 8th - 12th. If you're an optimist, we might be coming home on the 10th instead of the 9th. Inevitably, we'll need to "evaluate" (or, "evaluate", though if we're going to do that, I hope it's at least something more like "evaluate") the future/direction of the program. We'll probably need to discuss things in the office with Coach Benford, we'll probably need to have some conversations with Dr. Smatresk. Can't be too hasty, obviously. 

And then, about a week later, we'll (hopefully?) fire him, 2 or 3 years later than we should have. I'm guessing the 18th because that's a Friday, and I'm betting RV would probably prefer to minimize it, and Friday releases are the best way to do it. 

Petersen was 3 days from end of season to gone. 

Shanice was 12 days. 

Slinker was 3 days. 

Average it out, you're looking at about 6 days. That's my guess. 6 days after the end of the conference tournament. 

I think that around New Year's, maybe we can start a pool? 

I have never given thought until now about the feelings I will have the day we decide to move on without Benny.

Benford and RV should be a package deal this year. 

If RV is doing the hiring, I don't really have any confidence anything will be different. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

so where is the Full Schedule, not just the Conference Schedule?

Guess we are still negotiating with the SWAC and MEAC so Benford can claim he nearly hit .500 again

So you are insinuating there are gonna be primarily teams from the SWAC and MEAC on UNTs non-conf schedule... HOW DARE YOU SPEW SUCH LIES?

The OOC sched is also gonna include plenty of southland teams. And probably also all of the allowed 4 DII teams.

Edited by outoftown

So you are insinuating there are gonna be primarily teams from the SWAC and MEAC on UNTs non-conf schedule... HOW DARE YOU SPEW SUCH LIES?

The OOC sched is also gonna include plenty of southland teams. And probably also all of the allowed 4 DII teams.

Prior history can a bitch sometime, at least we get a game against a MoValley team

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

Unless Benford does something like hit a player or shoot an usher, he's not getting fired midseason. If we were serious about replacing him, we'd have already done it... We're not going to slide in an interim coach midway through a season, especially not in this sport, where you can pretend that there's always hope of a conference tournament run. Even if we're godawful or if Benford pulls a Shanice, he's not getting canned midyear. Hell, we had a coach go after a fan in the stands once (hey, Silver!), and even he didn't get cut loose midyear. And considering how things have gone with lame duck coaches being retained to finish a season, I doubt we'll be trying that experiment again. So, we're not firing Benford until the season is over.

Conference tournament runs March 8th - 12th. If you're an optimist, we might be coming home on the 10th instead of the 9th. Inevitably, we'll need to "evaluate" (or, "evaluate", though if we're going to do that, I hope it's at least something more like "evaluate") the future/direction of the program. We'll probably need to discuss things in the office with Coach Benford, we'll probably need to have some conversations with Dr. Smatresk. Can't be too hasty, obviously.

And then, about a week later, we'll (hopefully?) fire him, 2 or 3 years later than we should have. I'm guessing the 18th because that's a Friday, and I'm betting RV would probably prefer to minimize it, and Friday releases are the best way to do it.

Petersen was 3 days from end of season to gone.

Shanice was 12 days.

Slinker was 3 days.

Average it out, you're looking at about 6 days. That's my guess. 6 days after the end of the conference tournament.

I think that around New Year's, maybe we can start a pool?

I think RV will use the Dodge approach this year with Beenford. Once it becomes clear that there is no chance of having a winning season, including winning every game in the CUSA Tournament, he will be toast and Rob Evans will take over.

I still think Rob Evans woulkd be a logical choice to be the head coach here next year and beyond, with his track record and experience. This means RV will hire an assistant that blows him away in an interview.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 2

I think RV will use the Dodge approach this year with Beenford. Once it becomes clear that there is no chance of having a winning season, including winning every game in the CUSA Tournament, he will be toast and Rob Evans will take over.

I still think Rob Evans woulkd be a logical choice to be the head coach here next year and beyond, with his track record and experience. This means RV will hire an assistant from that blows him away in an interview.

ADs tend to entrust their head coaches to hire assistants.  It might have been the Jerry Jones way at one point but I doubt RV micromanages the various programs like Jerry used to.

Whenever we confirm our date with South Central Eastern Oklahoma Teacher's College A&M-Broken Bow.

not been a fan long huh.....  Below is UNTS home schedule drom 07 to 12 when Benford arrived. And this got you excited.....

07-08 

Cameron, Oklahoma State, Indiana State, Hartford, Southern, Centenaey, and Texas A&M-International (not Texas A&M)

08-09

Cameron, Jackson State, Sam Houaton State, New Mexico State, Houston Baptist, and UTA

09-10

Cameron, Jackson State, University of the Southwest, Southeastern Louisiana, and Texas Southern 

10-11

Henderson State, Texas Tech, UTA, Grambling, Jackson State, Texas State, and Oklahoma Panhandle State

11-12

Oklahoma City, Saint Gregory's, Sam Houaton State, Jackson State, Grambling, LSU, and New Orleans 

@UNT90, @emmitt01, @GMG24' @

Which of these home schedules excited you the most......

http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-baskbl/sched/ntex-m-baskbl-sched.html

Just search through the years. It gets worse. Much worse! 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1