Best College Football Stadium.... Besides Apogee

mgfan

Since we have so time on our hands before the season starts I thought I would see what football stadiums y'all like.  I really like

1. Mclane Stadium (Baylor)

2. Amon G. Carter

3. Utep- never been,but looks awesome with the mountains. 

Here is a fun website that shows most of the college football stadiums.. Take a glance Collegefootballgridirons.com 

Edited by mgfan
  • Upvote 1

I haven't been to a lot stadiums outside of Apogee and some of our conference mates stadiums. But my favorite outside of UNT is Donald W. Reynolds Razorback stadium. It wasn't so much the actual stadium itself, it was the atmosphere and the traditions the fans had during the game that made it a fun experience,

Edited by GreenTexan13
  • Upvote 1

Not really a shame. How many major college stadiums, or D1 stadiums in General, have parking right next to the stadium, much less tailgating? 

Every stadium has high's and low's. But if Apogee is your favorite and you don't like any other stadium, then right on. Apogee is nice. 

I though it was pretty awesome that you can tailgate on your boat at Mclane Stadium. How many D1 stadiums can you do that? 

Every time we have a game there, I keep hearing how great Army's stadium is.

I would love to go to that stadium. Right now working on all college stadiums in Texas 1st. 

Edited by mgfan
  • Upvote 1

Every stadium has high's and low's. But if Apogee is your favorite and you don't like any other stadium, then right on. Apogee is nice. 

I though it was pretty awesome that you can tailgate on your boat at Mclane Stadium. How many D1 stadiums can you do that? 

I would love to go to that stadium. Right now working on all college stadiums in Texas 1st. 

How many do you lack and which ones have you seen?

Give me Army's Stadium (History), Ole Miss (The Grove), Penn State (Atmosphere) and UCLA (Tailgating on an active Golf Course).  

Honorable Mention

USC (Band and Lighting of Olympic Torch before start of 4th Quarter) and Pitt (Sharing a stadium with the Steelers so you get the history of both at the same time)

• Upvote 2

Baylor's looks really nice and I like the way the river runs right next to it.

SMU's looks nice and it near fun areas. I look forward to going to our opener there. 

UTEP is deceptive. Yes, its in the edge of the Franklin Mountains. However, the view is garbage because you stare at the worst part of Juarez. As for the stadium, it's old, run down, and contains Miner fans.

I checked out TCU's recently and I liked it. It's not super special but I like the way it ties into the campus.

I like Apogee because it's unique, nice lay out, and nice. The energy efficiency, wind power, and water efficiency are awesome.

I still haven't seen Houston yet.

Finally, I have to say a lot of the big boys have giant stadiums that are kinda blah.

We are very lucky to have Apogee.

• Upvote 2

I've been to all D-1 in Texas at one time or another (some pre-remodel), and other than Apogee I'll have to go with McLane. I was in Waco yesterday and got a second up close look at it after seeing the punies get crushed there last year. The river really is a nice touch.

As far as stadiums I have personally attended nationally, I guess it depends on if we're talking structures exclusively or overall environment. Hard to beat LSU's for that monstrous college football stadium environment, and even though it's not particularly big or fancy, I really enjoyed Folsom Field in Boulder a couple of years ago. Gotta love that fall mountain air.

• Upvote 1

I got to attend an Army-Navy game in DC (instead of Philly) that was awesome, but it was actually a NFL stadium and the atmosphere was what really mattered...

I did Army-Navy in Baltimore last December. Amazing atmosphere. I really want to go to a game at West Point.

• Upvote 2

The Sun Bowl @ 40K+ is pretty special.  The bowl is tucked into the mountain side, so when it gets juiced up by a big play, the entire  bowl acts like a speaker cone tucked into the Franklin Mountains: very amplified.  I think I read an article a couple years ago where Mike Leach likened it to the tougher places to play in the Big XII.

I would love to visit SEC country sometime in my life.

Well, Neyland (Tennessee) has been doing it for some time now.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Tailgating+on+boats+outside+Neyland+Stadium&hl=en&gl=us&authuser=0&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CB4QsARqFQoTCIL9sbmg4sYCFUoPkgodFWsKKA&biw=1274&bih=615

Spartan Stadium is nice, and the club level is slick.

Can't wait to check out the Jumbotron at Don Reynolds.

Memorial Stadium is HUGE.

DKR gets a meh from me, but it's in a great location. I wish Apogee was more organically part of town like that.

Spartan Stadium is nice, and the club level is slick.

Can't wait to check out the Jumbotron at Don Reynolds.

Memorial Stadium is HUGE.

DKR gets a meh from me, but it's in a great location. I wish Apogee was more organically part of town like that.

Just wait for the boom after the 35 expansion project is done.  All that empty land around the 35 split will fill out.

• Upvote 1