MGB: C-USA commissioner Banowsky stepping down

Brett Vito

I think this is a big loss.  Please say it is not Benson but the honest truth is he will be considered.  There are not a lot of experienced commissioners...

I agree. Banowsky did some great things for C-USA.

I'd be looking at Deloss Dodds and see if he wanted the job. Love him or hate him, there is no denying what he did at Texas from 1981 through 2014. He might like the challenge of trying to elevate an entire conference. Doubt he would be interested in the job, but it never hurts to ask.

• Upvote 3

play in another sunbelt conf vs. play teams that fans won't travel too or vice versa (Maybe not New Mexico or Air Force).

tough decision....

Compete against teams that people have heard of because they have won big time in football and basketball or what we have been doing for the last umpeen years...

When the MWC expands into Texas again, and they take Rice, UTEP, and UTSA, we better be with them. Hell, UTEP would feel like they are bringing their new family to a class reunion--they'd get their old WAC pals back + games in DFW, Houston, and San Antonio.

I'd do backflips to have Boise State, AFA, Colorado State, Fresno State, SDSU, UNLV, Nevada, and New Mexico as conference mates. I don't care what that looked like in the Big West days, when we are all Sun Belt level programs. Today's MWC, plus three other Texas teams would be a UNT dream come true to me...

• Upvote 6

Compete against teams that people have heard of because they have won big time in football and basketball or what we have been doing for the last umpeen years...

When the MWC expands into Texas again, and they take Rice, UTEP, and UTSA, we better be with them. Hell, UTEP would feel like they are bringing their new family to a class reunion--they'd get their old WAC pals back + games in DFW, Houston, and San Antonio.

I'd do backflips to have Boise State, AFA, Colorado State, Fresno State, SDSU, UNLV, Nevada, and New Mexico as conference mates. I don't care what that looked like in the Big West days, when we are all Sun Belt level programs. Today's MWC, plus three other Texas teams would be a UNT dream come true to me...

When you put it that perspective, I can see why that would be a good move. When I posted my original post, I wasn't thinking on including our Texas conference mates coming along too.

• Upvote 1

Lets see who C-USA hires before we pack the U-Haul. I highly doubt Benson will make the list of replacement candidates.

But, if C-USA makes a bad hire, and the MWC is looking to expand into Texas, the four C-USA Texas programs need to take an all or nothing stance.

• Upvote 1

Karl Benson, upon accepting his new role as CUSA commissioner:

I look forward to welcoming our new conference mates Portland St., University of San Diego, and the newly formed team at North Central Texas College.  This will bring a dynamic never before seen in college football.  We also welcome University of New Orleans, University of Denver, and University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire as they join us to bolster the strength of our basketball conference.  Rice, UTEP, UTSA, Marshall, MTSU, and WKU do not exist and I refuse to speak of them.  Georgia Southern will be our flagship school.  I expect we can keep football in this conference for at LEAST another six months to a full year!  

• Upvote 2

Not a surprise that he's leaving.

So much turmoil and he seems to have a real heart for charitable work.

Benson won't apply, rumor is he's heading to the house as soon as his contract is up with the Sun Belt.

The person I'd go after is the same one I wanted Sun Belt to go after, Tom Burnett from the Southland.

• Upvote 3

From what I've been able to find, Deloss Dodd's $700,000 Texas contract ends on August 31. But, his contract keeps him at Texas through 2020 as a special assistant to the university president, but that only pays $100,000 a year. I think C-USA could afford him. Banowsky was making $500,000 last season.

• Upvote 2

Another name likely to pop up is Alfred White. If the membership is happy with the current direction he is far and away the logical choice. Already on staff, NCAA HQ experience, good stint with the Southern Conference, good media and marketing experience.

http://www.conferenceusa.com/genrel/white_alfred00.html

Sounds like this guy is right where he needs to be.   Heavy basketball focus.  

We probably need someone who has more connections/focus around football.