Best case QB scenario

ABrownGMG

http://www.underdogdynasty.com/2015/7/12/8927295/north-texas-quarterback-racenorth-texas-quarterback-race

This article sort of gives the background of the QB race and the benefits or consequences of who starts.

I'm interested though, do y'all think it would be better to start McNulty day 1 and hope he's improved like we need or start Smith and hope he clicks with the offense?

I know AM is probably starting week one but just curious on the general opinion.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

First off welcome to the site.  Thanks for linking the article.

I cannot speak for everyone here, but I can tell you most agree with you that McNulty will start against SMU.   There are high hopes for transfer DaMarcus Smith however, and many hope he may be able to break through for playing time early in the season.   The odds are against it.  Right now, Josh Greer is slated at the #2 spot and you also have Connor Means and possibly more who have been here garnering reps...

In defense of McNulty, the guy has worked hard and paid his dues.  That said, he had some tough games last season and ended the season with a loss against a pretty bad UTSA team who finished in the bottom half of C-USA.  So our fans are not too excited about his prospects based on how he fared last year.

Smith was a highly recruited player out of high school, actually was Charlie Strong's first recruit at Louisville.  He's bounced around a bit, but clearly has some skills and ability.

It has been pointed out that Mac had the fans guessing on whether DT or Dajon would start right up to the start of the 2013 season.. so it's not out of the realm of possibility that DaMarcus could find favor in camp.

Our QB play will be better this year, and it will have less to do with them than those that surround them.

I know the QB's didn't play as well as anyone would have liked.  However, our WR play was just as bad.  Take away Carlos Harris and there really wasn't any other option.  Also, our RB play was not what anyone wanted it to be either.  It wasn't just that we changed from a power scheme to a zone scheme.  I was that our best RB was coming off ACL surgery and just wasn't able to hit the hole on time.  Jimmy is a great change of pace, but does anyone really know where he is going?

I see our WR's being much deeper along with our RB's.  The QB has to benefit from that.

McNulty will be fine.  Maybe not spectacular, but fine.

Of course a lot of that thought will depend on the performance of our basically new offensive line. From what I've seen over these last few years, if AM spends a lot of time running for his life, our passing game beyond dink and dunk could be in deep trouble. On the other hand, I'm pretty optimistic that our OL will come together with a little experience on the field working as a unit. There's a lot of talent and pretty good size there. Depth is looking up also.

Our QB play will be better this year, and it will have less to do with them than those that surround them.

I see our WR's being much deeper along with our RB's.  The QB has to benefit from that.

McNulty will be fine.  Maybe not spectacular, but fine.

Agree completely with the entire post, but this points seem to summarize things.

As has been pointed out in other threads (http://www.gomeangreen.com/forums/topic/104746-looking-over-the-roster-again/ ) the roster depth is encouraging and should greatly support whoever's under center.

Prior to fall camp,  it feels like if the rest of the team realizes the potential we all see, the expectation for the season should be:

• Good/Great QB play (top 4 CUSA) - contention for the CUSA West title
  • Decent/Effecient QB play (mid-tier CUSA) - contention for bowl birth
  • Poor/Bad QB play (bottom third CUSA) - Losing record & Chico's time in Denton sees its end #unlockthegate

• Upvote 3

Best scenario is obviously for Smith to come in and be great.  I unlike seemingly the majority think that Smith has an excellent chance to start at SMU.

I don't get all the criticism of McCarney for favoring McNulty.  It frankly didn't happen last year, he was the third starter behind both Greer and Williams.   Both Greer and Williams failed miserable at the position before McNulty was promoted to starter.  

McNulty performed much better than the other two against FB division competition and has earned his current first team status.  However, I think Smith will quickly be given the position if he can learn a majority of the playbook before the first game and displays any of the talent he is supposed to have.   Greer last year was chosen over McNulty in a similar situation.  

• Upvote 4

It will take another opponent to unseed McNulty.  He has been playing against this UNT defense for 6+ years!    I seriously doubt that he will mess up enough to lose his top spot.  After SMU first snap all bets are off.  In fact, being 1st off the bench may be an advantage.