UNT Record Predictions for 2015

10Eagle10

I want to preface this by saying that I assume McCarney will start McNulty hell or high water.  Should he find it in himself to start the best quarterback, rather than the most consistent guy in practice, I could be convinced of anything up to six wins.  Particularly late in the year when the aforementioned best player has (finally) had some game time to work out the kinks.

Portland State is the only game on the schedule I feel comfortable penciling in as a win.  I think they will pull in two wins from the USM, WKU, MTSU, and UTEP group.  I think they'll shock us and sneak one away from SMU, UTSA, or La Tech.  So I'll say 4-8.

The team has tons of potential, no doubt.  I've just seen potential not pan out too many times for us to bet on it.  Of course, my green heart always pulls for 7-8 wins.  Here's hoping.

• Upvote 1

I have a hard time picking out many "sure" wins on the schedule. I also have the SMU game as a loss. Not sure why everyone's so optimistic about that game. They've got a new coach. It will be their second game of the season. We won't be near as fast as Baylor was the week before. And there's no reason to believe they'll turn the ball over 47 times in the game.

I won't be surprised to see a 3-win season. But I also wouldn't be surprised if we won 7. I just don't know how to predict anything related to UNT sports, anymore.

• Downvote 1

Why are some of you expecting to win VS WKU?   To me, we have a better shot at Iowa. I think WKU will win the CUSA title this year.

Give me 4-8 with Mr. McNulty.   This will change when Mr. Smith wins the job in the Fall.

SMU - W
Rice - L
Iowa - L
USM - L
Portland St - W
WKU - L
Marshall - L
UTSA - W
LaTech - L
Tenn - L
MT - L
UTEP - W

Why are some of you expecting to win VS WKU?   To me, we have a better shot at Iowa. I think WKU will win the CUSA title this year.

Give me 4-8 with Mr. McNulty.   This will change when Mr. Smith wins the job in the Fall.

SMU - W
Rice - L
Iowa - L
USM - L
Portland St - W
WKU - L
Marshall - L
UTSA - W
LaTech - L
Tenn - L
MT - L
UTEP - W

I wouldn't necessarily predict a win against WKU, and yes they are a good pick to win the conference, but I still consider our odds against them better than against Iowa.  McCarney has never won a road non-conference game at North Texas.  Our best McCarney team couldn't beat Ohio on the road in 2013, so I doubt that our 2015 team will break through against Iowa.  At home, I kind of always give us a puncher's chance.

• Upvote 2

I wouldn't necessarily predict a win against WKU, and yes they are a good pick to win the conference, but I still consider our odds against them better than against Iowa.  McCarney has never won a road non-conference game at North Texas.  Our best McCarney team couldn't beat Ohio on the road in 2013, so I doubt that our 2015 team will break through against Iowa.  At home, I kind of always give us a puncher's chance.

Iowa does not have the QB play of WKU. I was rewatching their game against Marshall last night and my god that kid can play. They have some speed at WR on both sides. WKU could beat Iowa. In my mind. Now with that being sad, Iowa is a big school with a lot of talent and depth. They could reload this season with way more to offer than last season. We have to wait and see.

• Upvote 1

I have a hard time picking out many "sure" wins on the schedule. I also have the SMU game as a loss. Not sure why everyone's so optimistic about that game. They've got a new coach. It will be their second game of the season. We won't be near as fast as Baylor was the week before. And there's no reason to believe they'll turn the ball over 47 times in the game.

I won't be surprised to see a 3-win season. But I also wouldn't be surprised if we won 7. I just don't know how to predict anything related to UNT sports, anymore.

I tend to agree.  I only see one "sure win" on the schedule, about five sure losses, and around six toss-ups (many of these could come down to injuries, suspensions, etc. that we can't predict now).  Thus, if you split the toss-ups in half, that comes to 4-8, which is becoming an all too familiar record in recent years.  

Of course, there's a lot to be determined still in fall practice, so I'm not quite sure what to make of this team just yet.  And--surely we're due for an upset or two, right?

• Upvote 1

at Iowa - W. Coach Mac is, I believe, 7-5 vs Iowa and 6-2 vs. Kirk Ferentz. He'll be fired up for this game and will have an effective game plan ready for his return to Iowa City.

at Southern Miss - L. riding the high of our upset victory the week before, the Golden Eagles catch us with our pants down. If we do lose to Iowa, I think we win vs. Southern Miss

2015 prediction: 6-6

Good assessment.  I would flip Iowa and Southern Miss... I think (hope) we'll be competitive against Iowa, but I don't see a road victory at Iowa happening.

I'll also go with 6-6

Edited by ForneyGreen
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...