UNT Record Predictions for 2015

10Eagle10

Although the calendar turns a page to July today, we are still over 2 months away from kicking off the 2015 season. A bit early perhaps but maybe it's time for some season win-loss record predictions in the midst of these dog days of summer...

With green-tinted goggles on and a pitcher of green kool-aid at my side:

IDLE - aren't we undefeated against "bye", "open", and "idle"? I'm no fan of starting the season off without football, but at least our unblemished record against this foe will stay intact

at SMU - . Mac gets an extra week to get our boys up for our cross-plex rival

Rice - L . The biggest improvement in a team can be seen between the first and second game. I don't think we improve enough, plus I've got Rice penciled in as the 2015 CUSA champs

at Iowa - W. Coach Mac is, I believe, 7-5 vs Iowa and 6-2 vs. Kirk Ferentz. He'll be fired up for this game and will have an effective game plan ready for his return to Iowa City.

at Southern Miss - L. riding the high of our upset victory the week before, the Golden Eagles catch us with our pants down. If we do lose to Iowa, I think we win vs. Southern Miss

Portland State - W. Coach Mac is 11-0 all-time vs. 1-AA/FCS opponents, including 2-0 at North Texas.

Western Kentucky - W. We're 2-1 in weeknight game in Apogee. Hoping Louisiana Tech was an aberration last year

at Marshall - L. We have an extra couple of days to prepare, but as the Big 12 teams have been finding out, it's hard to fly to West Virginia and win a road game.

UTSA - W. I think Coach Mac finally prioritizes this as a rivalry game (see his record in such contests) - that loss in '13 cost us a shot at the conference title.

at Louisiana Tech - L. I want to believe, and I'm sure I'll be there, but I can't bring myself to call this a win.

at Tennessee - L. least likely win on the schedule, but maybe the magic of long ago will return...

at Middle Tenn - L. We're 4-2 in Murfreesboro so I hope I'm wrong.

UTEP - W. Hopefully we're a team that's improved over the course of the season and we don't check it in after three straight losses; couple that with potential bowl eligibility on the line, and I got the green going 4-1 in Apogee in the fall. With these two coaching staffs, it will be an old school, throwback game.

2015 prediction: 6-6

bonus note: what a tame July 1st we had after all the realignment and moves of the last few years. I think the only official realignment moves that officially happened today was Navy joining the AAC as a football only member. The only other football related moves for 2015 both happen in CUSA with Charlotte's football team joining the East and UAB not fielding a team

• Upvote 3

Give me 3-9 with most everyone's new hope getting almost the exact mirror treatment of The Windmill from last season.    

Get ready to hear a snoot full of "Mac just can't stand turnovers....... Unless they're from McCarnulty while leading an incredibly dumbed down offense compared to what they throw at the new guy."

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 4

Pending where personnel fall we very well could be looking at 2-10/3-9. If Mac takes his ego out of play and lets the best available player play his position I can see a 7-5/8-4 outcome. So, with that said, I will not be surprised to see anything from 2-10 to 8-4. Which to me is another fine reason as to why Mac needs to quick rocks as soon as we can possibly open the door for him. This much uncertainty in year 5 is atrocious. GMG

• Upvote 1

I know that other than 2013 Mac hasn't provided much hope in terms of forcing good QB play, I think his hand is forced this year. Yes, I know that it's ultimately his job, but Chico has been god awful at bringing in QBs, part of it is a system flaw which ee seem to be moving away from.  I think our defense even though it is full of new faces will resemble 2013. I believe our Running Game ( If Wilson stays healthy***********) will be light years ahead of anything we have had since Dunbar. This kid is the real deal. You can say I am drinking green Kool-Aid all you want. Watching the secondary fly around during spring game, LBs running sideline to sideline, and the DLINE play was as good as it was without the huge influx of talent we are getting... It is on baby.  Y'all realize we have the JUCO Defensive POY in Finney and I believe the JUCO leader in sacks(fact check please.)  anyway, quit with all this the sky is falling BS. McNulty will be serviceable (if he's the guy) so long as our O can sustain drives, mix run and pass effectively, and he has more than 1 target. Harris can't do it all by himself, I think Marcus effing Smith, Daniel Khan, Goree, Smiley, and (JUCO can't remember how to spell his name) will provide just that to allow Harris 1 on 1 and then you'd better watch out for he and Goree to do real damage.  We just need to get the ball in these cats hands and watch them do their thing. I also believe D'Aundrey Bradley gets it together and makes a big impact at some point. I chatted with one of his coaches the other day (from The Hill) he told me he and D'Aundrey had a long talk and that he (D) said he realized what a dumb mistake he made and how he jeopardized everything he worked for. We shall see only time will tell. Dang. Well, I'll post and watch the over and under reactions.  I love me some UNT football! 

Wish we got another crack at UT this year, in game two where Smith and co, could go down there and show me how we roll. 

SMU W

Rice L

Iowa L

USM L

Portland State W

WKU L

Marshall L

UTSA W

LaTech L

Tenn L

MUTS L

UTEP W

I think we will win these 4. The UTSA game is a toss-up, as is UTEP, but since they are at home, I'll give us the wins.

At best, I see us at 5-7, with a win at USM, as well. The other teams on the schedule are either way better than us or we are a bought win (Iowa and Tenn).

At worst, I see us at 2-10, of which SMU is one of them. If we somehow lose that game, 1-11 is a very real possibility, along with the fact that about 1000 people will be at the last game of the season at home versus UTEP. But SMU is really, really bad--they may not win more than a game all year. If we cannot beat them, we cannot beat another FBS team on the schedule.

• Upvote 1

I think this season UNT gets back to doing what they have been successful with in the past.  Good RB, LB, and OL play.  If this were the case last season, we go bowling.  Hoping for an exception to bail out a bad team, like a savior QB or a monster DLineman, is a waste of time.

From what I have seen from Bean and Finney, they can play and looks to be an upgrade to what we had last season.  Also throw an improved Scott and A. Wallace in the mix and I think we have a solid LB group to anchor the defense.

I also think Wilson is a major upgrade to what we had last season.

QB play will be an upgrade, but can't really say by how much.  if it's McNulty then it's only a slight upgrade.  DMarcus Smith can put us over the hump, but I have never seen him play, so I cant count on that right now.

We have 6 winnable game where we will be favored in most and a slight underdog in 1 or 2.  SMU, Rice, Portland St. USM, UTSA, and UTEP.  I figure we go 5-1 against these teams.

There are 3 games where we have a puncher's chance for a quality upset.  Iowa, MTSU, and possibly La Tech.  To get this upset we will need DMarcus Smith to be the real deal.  Like I said earlier, I have nothing to go on from him, so I have to assume all three are losses.

5-7 with hopefully a lot of starters returning in 2016.

SMU W

Rice W

Iowa L

USM W

Portland State W

WKU L

Marshall L

UTSA W

LaTech W

Tenn L

MUTS L

UTEP W

(7-5)

Call me optimistic but I think this will be our year. Last year we were the second youngest college football team in the FBS. I have confidence that we are not going to make as many mistakes and I trust Dan McCarney to send us to another bowl game. This is totally based on the fact that we have a QB that is consistent. 

• Upvote 1

I keep going back-in-forth between 4-8 and 5-7. For now, I'll go with 4-8, but I reserve the right to change my pick if DaMarcus Smith wins the QB job in fall camp.

@SMU- W

Rice- L

@Iowa- L

@USM- L

Portland State W

WKU- L

@Marshall- L

UTSA- W

@LaTech- L

@Tenn- L

@MTSU- W

UTEP- L

• Upvote 1

5-7 

SMU W

Rice L

Iowa L

USM W

Portland State W

WKU L

Marshall L

UTSA W

LaTech L

Tenn L

MTSU L

UTEP W

I echo this sentiment, but I keep flip flopping on a shootout win vs Rice (which I would consider an upset) and a loss at USM (bc it is away). So still 5-7.

WKU is the best team in the conference with all the folks Marshall graduated. No chance at an upset imho. UTSA graduated all those guys, so it has got to be a win, if we are healthy.

Don't sleep on SMU. Not the same team or dynamic as last year, and they'll have game time under their belt, but they admittedly have a ways to go. I think we can pull the win, but it'll be more competitive. 

I think the defense - especially at LB - is an improvement from last year, but it may take a few games before we really see what kind of unit they are.

If McNulty can improve his decision-making speed and awareness (which I didn't see an improvement in spring practices), we'll be okay. Relying [hoping] on DeMarcus Smith to be a CUSA - level QB, and for him to come in Oct.

• Upvote 1

Call me Mr. Optimism, but the more I look at our roster and take into account some of the juco transfers etc I think we may be ok.  I am not saying we will beat Tennessee but I do think we could give Iowa a run for their money and hold our own in conference play with the exception of WKU.

My biggest HSO is I think our O-Line could be surprisingly good.  I think people underestimate how good Sam Rice is going to be and I also like Brian Ochs at guard.

I also think Courtney Finney is going to be very very good at LB.