Projecting UNT’s 2015 starting defensive lineup

Harry

North Texas took a step back defensively last season and will have to rebuild on that side of the ball in 2015, both on the field and the sideline. John Skladany, a long time college defensive coordinator who spent a large chunk of his career serving as UNT head coach Dan McCarney’s right-hand man retired at the end of last season.

UNT will also have to replace its best defensive player in All-Conference USA linebacker Derek Akunne and three of its four starters in the secondary.

That won’t be an easy task after UNT allowed 27.2 points a game last season, up from 17.8 in 2013 when UNT ranked among the nation’s most productive defensive teams. Here’s a look at UNT’s projected lineup:

DE: Chad Polk. The senior is tiny by major college standards for a defensive end at 6-0, 231, but the Mean Green didn’t have a more productive defensive lineman last season. Polk led the Mean Green with 8.5 tackles for loss and 5.5 sacks. UNT will use a host of defensive linemen, but Polk should get the starting nod.

DT: Austin Orr. The senior moved into the starting lineup late last season when Alexander Lincoln went down with an injury in his final year with the Mean Green. Orr has good size at 6-4, 277, and should be at the top of a deep rotation.

read more:  http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/06/projecting-unts-starting-defensive-lineup.html/

I like what Polk brings to the table in situational play, but I think he is a liability as an every down DE. We need a guy in there that can legitimately set the edge on run plays. I'm not calling Polk soft by any means, I am just saying we need a guy in there on the edge with a little more beef. If we ever have a 10-14 point lead in the 2nd half then he should be an every down DE, but at beginning of gsmes when opposing teams' offenses are feeling out the defense we need beef in there to set the edge to prevent early long drives on us. 

I've been saying it all offseason, our DL is going to pleasantly surprise. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I think the Marshall at corner hype may be over and is old news.  Davis was running with the first team at the end of Spring and ran with the 1st team in the Spring game.  Davis will have to hold off Grindle, and I will assume Marshall is either 3rd string or moves to second string behind Buyers.  I thought Marshall would be able to at least get the nickel spot, but it looks as if Ced Fernandez may be the front runner... unless they continue to move Buyers to the nickel.

• Upvote 3

I'd like to see Dash make a push somewhere this Fall.

I just don't see it Harry.  He got beat out by a true freshman last year.  I thought he would do something because of the Vito article last off season, but it doesn't look like he was even close to playing.  James Gray came in and got a spot immediately.  Ced Fernandez even got some love.  Seems like once you get buried with this staff, it takes a lot to get back in there.  Add the fact that he is a SR too.  He would have to be very good to play him this year because you will be wasting reps that could go towards making 2016 better.

I think the only other safety that may get back in the mix is Schilleci because he was out due to injury.  He has two years left also.  The coaches also liked him enough to start him at one point, so he was doing something right.  I wouldn't be surprised if he gets another shot at it.

• Upvote 2

I think the Marshall at corner hype may be over and is old news.  Davis was running with the first team at the end of Spring and ran with the 1st team in the Spring game.  Davis will have to hold off Grindle, and I will assume Marshall is either 3rd string or moves to second string behind Buyers.  I thought Marshall would be able to at least get the nickel spot, but it looks as if Ced Fernandez may be the front runner... unless they continue to move Buyers to the nickel.

don't sleep on Ashton Preston... I'm just saying. 

I cant see Orr AND Wallace being the starting DT's.   Don't they both play the same technique (1)?   Wouldn't it make more sense to start one or the other and then a quicker guy at the 3-tech (like Moore or Harry's boy, Haboul)?

Orr has played both, like 93-98 said. Also, he hasn't done a great job of staying healthy at the nose/1-tech. I think having him at 3-tech is the right move. Pretty solid player IMO, when he's been out there.

• Upvote 2

don't sleep on Ashton Preston... I'm just saying. 

Nate Brooks is my sleeper for class of 2015. He's skinny, but I love how he tackles and hits in his highlights, and he has really good fluidity, pretty solid ball skills, plus he's 6' tall. I think he'll be a player.

Preston made a really impressive leap from his junior to senior year, but he also got injured so it'll be interesting to see where he's at from a developmental standpoint. Either way we're actually pretty deep at corner, at least from an athletic standpoint. I think Grindle could challenge for most athletic player on the team. You don't get offered by 5 SEC West schools by fluke. Plus Davis, Buyers, and Marshall, and freshly redshirted Andrew Jones. If Preston or Brooks play this year it'll be a really good sign.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2

the video on the UNT website provides some insight on the corner position.  I wouldn't discuss this if they didn't mention it on there, but Davis was not 100% during the Spring, and that may be a reason he didn't start out with the ones.  Davis was injured in the Indiana game and pretty much played the remaining 8 games at 80-85%.  Didn't get it fixed until late February, right before Spring.  Arthroscopic surgery fixed and cleaned out the damage and the bone bruise healed, but he was not full speed.  Still held his own and showed he could play through pain.  He should at minimum return at the nickel corner.  If not, then that means there's real talent coming in.  Davis is a lot faster than he has shown.  Would have run track if not for the injury.  And he had several big time, full ride offers to run track.  Not sure how fast he is with the increased weight though.

i'm not a huge fan of the field/boundary corner thing, but I know lots of teams are going with it.  the field corner covers the largest part of the field and the boundary gets the short side.  Jones was the boundary and buyers was the field.  Most teams put their best cover guy on the field side.  The boundary plays close to the line and stops the run.  One would think we had it backwards last year, and probably so.  Buyers seems like a better tackler, and jones looked to be the better cover.  But the boundary corner usually has no safety help because it's the short side of the field.  And with our slow safeties last year, it's even more of an issue.

buyers with no safety help is a no-no.  Davis played field corner in the nickel and buyers moved to nickel/safety.  Since jones left, now Davis was been moved to boundary.  Not sure what type of corner they have these new guys identified as, but I agree, if some young guys play, that means they are exceptional.  I highly doubt Marshall starts the season with no college reps at corner.  Maybe nickel.  

• Upvote 1

I cant see Orr AND Wallace being the starting DT's.   Don't they both play the same technique (1)?   Wouldn't it make more sense to start one or the other and then a quicker guy at the 3-tech (like Moore or Harry's boy, Haboul)?

I'm excited about Haboul but I am also excited about Moore.  I think Moore could have a breakout season for us.