DaMarcus Smith in review

Harry

Former Seneca High School and Western Kentucky University quarterback Damarcus Smith, who spent this season at Butler Community College in Kansas, has committed to North Texas, his coach said. Smith will sign this week and enroll next month with two years of eligibility remaining.

Butler coach Troy Morrell said Indiana also had been recruiting Smith, along with some FCS teams.

Smith had a strong season at Butler (7-3), passing for 2,509 yards and 28 touchdowns with six interceptions in nine games. He completing 60 percent of his throws. In a 53-36 victory over Dodge City in October, Smith threw for 526 yards and five TDs.

"He threw the ball really well and was consistent for us all year long and made a lot of big plays," Morrell said. "He was a good leader for us as well."

Morrell said Smith has "tremendous arm strength" at a level similar to former Butler quarterback Zach Mettenberger, who went on to play at LSU and now for the Tennessee Titans.

read more:  http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/recruiting/2014/12/14/former-wku-seneca-quarterback-damarcus-smith-commits-north-texas-junior-college/20414965/

Read more:  

my only concern is that Mac delays naming Smith due to needing an undeniable excuse to take the spot away from one of his best friend's sons.  Choking a couple of games gives him that excuse.  That is why I hope SMU forces us to pass to expose the weakness there as quickly as possible (if Smith is in fact a better QB).  Mac's son is really good friends with McNulty so this just further embeds him as the starting qb barring some scenario where he cannot possibly defend playing AM over someone else.  If we are able to squeak by on our running game then nothing changes and we win 3-4 games.

This guy went to a school called Seneca? That can only mean good things under McCarney, right?

​Beat me to it!

As for AAUNT's point, Mac gave plenty of guys their shot before defaulting back to McNulty.  I suspect he'll do the fair thing and only give the job back to Andrew if he's proven that he deserves it.  He's already had more of a shot here than he likely would have elsewhere, and he's reliable enough to turn to when you are just using a bus driver, but will not likely retain the position if someone else proves to be a superstar.

• Upvote 2

my only concern is that Mac delays naming Smith due to needing an undeniable excuse to take the spot away from one of his best friend's sons.  Choking a couple of games gives him that excuse.  That is why I hope SMU forces us to pass to expose the weakness there as quickly as possible (if Smith is in fact a better QB).  Mac's son is really good friends with McNulty so this just further embeds him as the starting qb barring some scenario where he cannot possibly defend playing AM over someone else.  If we are able to squeak by on our running game then nothing changes and we win 3-4 games.

​If Smith totally outclasses Mini in August and Mac still finds an excuse to start Mini and bench Smith, then I think that Mac loses this team and even 3-4 wins would be unlikely. I surely hope that Mac is not willing to take it that far.

• Upvote 1

​Beat me to it!

As for AAUNT's point, Mac gave plenty of guys their shot before defaulting back to McNulty.  I suspect he'll do the fair thing and only give the job back to Andrew if he's proven that he deserves it.  He's already had more of a shot here than he likely would have elsewhere, and he's reliable enough to turn to when you are just using a bus driver, but will not likely retain the position if someone else proves to be a superstar.

​Totally want to believe that.  But I also don't discount human emotions when it comes to being attached to your friends/family and what you would do for them.  Preparing him to be the starting QB and then replacing him right before the first game is something I can't see him doing without letting him "try out" on the field (as in a couple of games at least).  Mac is an old dog and one that isn't here to learn new tricks.  He is fiercely loyal to those that "buy in" and when you look at the team there cannot be more than a few people that "buy in" more than AM.  Remember that Smith failed his classes and was ineligible to practice in Spring due to that mess up.  Had Smith showed in Spring I feel that he could have established his potential dominance over the other QBs with a larger sample size that excuses Mac from any guilt of benching someone he has known since he was a baby.  We don't need Smith to be a superstar.... we just need him to be a Div 1 QB which is more than what we currently have on the roster.

​If Smith totally outclasses Mini in August and Mac still finds an excuse to start Mini and bench Smith, then I think that Mac loses this team and even 3-4 wins would be unlikely. I surely hope that Mac is not willing to take it that far.

​Agree.

McCarney & Staff aren't going to be the only ones watching the QB battle.   I really don't think it matters who the QB is for the SMU game, but after that (when the opposition becomes stronger), we're going to need the best guy out there.

• Upvote 1

mac had plenty reasons to start McNulty a lot earlier last season.  please stop with the "friend of a son" stupidity.  If DaMarcus shows he can learn the offense, just like Greer did, he will get a shot.

Did some of you even pay attention last season?  Greer started the season with no D1 reps against Texas.  Looked horrible, and still got another start.  Mac had reasons to start McNulty at home against SMU with a safe smash mouth power game and he could have been a hero at home against a rival.  He still went with Greer.

Opportunity 2 could have been at home against Nichols State.  McNulty would have looked good, gotten UNT to 2-2 and gotten the start at Indiana.  Instead, he gave Dajon a shot with limited knowledge of the offense.  This shows that he was trying to get the best talent on the field.  Dajon just did not work out.  I still think Dajon could have beaten So Miss, but it was nowhere close to a guarantee at that point.

please stop with the non sense.

• Upvote 3

mac had plenty reasons to start McNulty a lot earlier last season.  please stop with the "friend of a son" stupidity.  If DaMarcus shows he can learn the offense, just like Greer did, he will get a shot.

Did some of you even pay attention last season?  Greer started the season with no D1 reps against Texas.  Looked horrible, and still got another start.  Mac had reasons to start McNulty at home against SMU with a safe smash mouth power game and he could have been a hero at home against a rival.  He still went with Greer.

Opportunity 2 could have been at home against Nichols State.  McNulty would have looked good, gotten UNT to 2-2 and gotten the start at Indiana.  Instead, he gave Dajon a shot with limited knowledge of the offense.  This shows that he was trying to get the best talent on the field.  Dajon just did not work out.  I still think Dajon could have beaten So Miss, but it was nowhere close to a guarantee at that point.

​Very legitimate argument @GOMG2013.  Well stated.

​Yet he did nothing to merit benching like the others? I will admit that Greer and DW started and were benched prior to McNulty starting, but McNulty had games of his own that should've led to his own benching.