UNT working on game at Texas A&M

Harry

Multiple North Texas officials confirmed Tuesday afternoon that the school is working on a deal with Texas A&M to schedule a nonconference football game.

The contract for the game is in the approval process. Information on the season and date for the game were unavailable.

- See more at: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/06/unt-officials-confirm-deal-in-works-for-game-with-texas-am.html/#sthash.kujkj0dL.dpuf

It is sad that I immediately know it would never be a 1 and 1 with the freaking AD that we have. 

​Yeah, like we can demand a 1 and 1 and get them to say okay since you demanded it.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Announcing a road game with A&M isn't really news. It's a scheduling update. News would be landing a home and home series with A&M. We have to move beyond these road games, and schedule P5s that will play us in home and home series. We were scheduling road games with A&M when we played at Fouts too. I believe there are P5 programs out there that will play us in Apogee. And, I believe we should focus on scheduling those teams. Just my opinion.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 6

When you are negotiating, you have a set of parameters which governs your decision making.  

For example, your schedule (how much flexibility do you have to try to set a date or two dates which further increases the difficulty of matching their open dates).    The AD tried to set up a 1 and 1 with Purdue and couldn't find dates to match and they went out to the mid 2020s looking. 

Or the desire for a 1 and 1 versus a "opportunity game" .  The 1 and 1 won't put as much money in your pocket vs the opportunity game (30,000 tickets if Apogee fills up or a $900,000 check).

Then there is your negotiating position.  Are you in a position of power or a position of weakness.  Does UNT have any power or position versus any P5 school.  My opinion is no we don't.  The non P5 schools have very little power (P5 stands for Power 5, I wonder why) but supposedly Kentucky was a bit desperate for a series that would meet their schedule, so their negotiating position was weaker than somebody else.  

• Upvote 1

Rather it be Texas.  

​There must be some personal motive here, because we haven't played A&M since 1998 when we started a decent stretch of alternating OU-UT every year.

I'm okay with 1 body bag game a year, and am happy we get to see the Aggies again.

Having said that, it's deflating to know we are still not nabbing 1-1 deals.  Mac's Apogee record is okay, but to say that it is scaring off these big boys (not necessarily A&M*) from 1-for-1s seems illusory.

*I know there are several that already play in the area against other teams, and playing in the NT region for second or third game is not advantageous at all.

• Upvote 2

An AD doesn't or at least shouldn't blindly call another AD to just look up dates. A good AD does his research and knows what is avaliable for his program and the program he is contacting.  A good AD would have known that the Purdue series couldn't have paned out and we should have never even heard of said series, but our AD wants to throw out the impression that he's at least "trying." And that ladies and gentlemen is the only reason we ever even heard of that series. The excuse making from and for this athletic department is pitiful.  

• Upvote 1

An AD doesn't or at least shouldn't blindly call another AD to just look up dates. A good AD does his research and knows what is available for his program and the program he is contacting.   

​I think RV should do a better job of scheduling, but how does a "good AD" research dates that are not public? There are enough reasons to complain about him without complaining he doesn't have magical powers! 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

​I think RV should do a better job of scheduling, but how does a "good AD" research dates that are not public? There are enough reasons to complain about him without complaining he doesn't have magical powers! 

​Department info that is not made public can still be shared with another school's AD.  Or no?