Meet Zac Babb future UNT journalism major

Harry

Trash seems a bit harsh, but remind me how both teams finished up last season?

​Exactly. Based on performance alone, it is hard to argue with an 18yr old young man without as of yet having an attachment to our university in his heart. I know in the Fall of '99 when I got to campus I didn't even know Fouts Field existed. I was told we beat Tech and thought that was pretty cool. I only went to one game that year and that was in Waco because one of my High School teammates was a freshman linebacker at Baylor. I will say the stands at Floyd Casey looked about as empty as ours did for a Fouts' Thanksgiving weekend game.

Times have changed and there was a great deal more school spirit when I returned to campus in the Fall of '05 to restart my university experience. I hope that he will fall in love with our school just as I did, despite the annual kicks to the groin from our athletic programs. The decade wait between bowls wins sucks but it sure feels good in the year that it happens.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

He will fit in quite comfortably in Denton, especially at the NT Daily...

Maybe he can go cover a hugely entertaining Art Exhibit and tell us how the tens of people there are the diehards that make UNT special...

​I both lived in Denton and wrote for the NT Daily. I'm a big supporter of UNT athletics.

• Upvote 6

I'm not real concerned about his initial impression of our athletics program or the city of Denton. He seems to be very sports-aware and that beats the pants off the arts crowd that wants to use our stadium for more twisted metal sculptures.

• Upvote 1

​Who cares what they think?
It's not true, so the view is irrelevant.

​Who cares what the fanbase thinks? The fanbase that has watched NT Daily report year after year how much football and athletics costs the university and how nobody even cares about it? That fanbase? I think most of us recognize what garbage we have been served in the decades previous by those awesome "journalists" at the NT Daily, Keith7, obviously withstanding, since he is one of about 3% of UNT alumni who still follow our teams.

• Downvote 2

​I both lived in Denton and wrote for the NT Daily. I'm a big supporter of UNT athletics.

​I lived in Denton, wrote for the Daily, was editor of the Daily and was a big supporter of UNT athletics. Corky Nelson, you are missed. Erric Pegram, our editing software hated your extra R as much as I loved watching you run. Keith Cash did not get a foot down on Sept. 24, 1988.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

​I think most of us recognize what garbage we have been served in the decades previous by those awesome "journalists" at the NT Daily, Keith7, obviously withstanding, since he is one of about 3% of UNT alumni who still follow our teams.

​It's a shame you are attacking a proud UNT institution like The Daily. The paper is the voice of the student. It is a lab for every journalism student who attends the school. That means it will sometimes be a platform for dumb reporting and poorly reasoned viewpoints. People have to learn somewhere.

Despite that, I know plenty of great reporters who came through GAB 117 and many had love for UNT football.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

​It's a shame you are attacking a proud UNT institution like The Daily. The paper is the voice of the student. It is a lab for every journalism student who attends the school. That means it will sometimes be a platform for dumb reporting and poorly reasoned viewpoints. People have to learn somewhere.

Despite that, I know plenty of great reporters who came through GAB 117 and many had love for UNT football.

​Well, I think its a great shame that you think the NT Daily is anything worth being proud of...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

I am incredibly happy to have been born when I was.  1976 was just old enough that I knew life before computers, and cell phones and social media, but it was late enough that I was able to easily adapt to all these huge dynamic changes and take advantage of them.

Mainly I'm glad that no facebook or twitter existed in 1988-1994.   I can only imagine the horror of my sheer adolescent stupidity being held up to ridicule by anonymous big mouths on message boards.  

God Almighty I am glad and that teenage angst has blissfully passed into the ether, not stored for all humanity to see on archive.org... though there are a few polaroids I need to track down and destroy...

• Upvote 2

I am incredibly happy to have been born when I was.  1976 was just old enough that I knew life before computers, and cell phones and social media, but it was late enough that I was able to easily adapt to all these huge dynamic changes and take advantage of them.

Mainly I'm glad that no facebook or twitter existed in 1988-1994.   I can only imagine the horror of my sheer adolescent stupidity being held up to ridicule by anonymous big mouths on message boards.  

God Almighty I am glad and that teenage angst has blissfully passed into the ether, not stored for all humanity to see on archive.org... though there are a few polaroids I need to track down and destroy...

Yeah, though as a child of this age Mr. Babb knew, or should have known, these kinds of public statements are subject to scorn and ridicule. He probably won't care unless that scorn and ridicule is done on social media, but it's not a foreign concept to college age kids these days.

​After reading this dude's quotes here, it makes me wonder what 18-yr-old Jim Rome's Twitter presence would have looked like.

• Upvote 3

​There were message boards back then, but they were local BBSes so the reach of our stupidity was short.

​You sure told me, Jim. What biting wit. I am undone.

​And your response was also very witty--of course, you integrity-filled journalists are known for that kind of stuff...it certainly isn't to be divisive and fear-mongering to get readers and viewers the next day at all...very high-minded, for sure.

Thank you NT Daily for all you have done to help our Athletics Program soar to the heights it has reached right now!! There's no telling where we would be without that cutting edge "reporting" that we have all enjoyed/endured over the decades.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4