MGB: UNT has added forward Mike Thomas

From Vito's blog:

Thomas said that he chose UNT over offers from Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Dayton, Utah Valley and Louisiana-Lafayette.

If that's 100% true along with his JUCO coach staying he's 6'11" then he should be a very good get. 

Edited by Army of Dad
  • Upvote 2

Rivals also had Chris Jones unranked(might have been ESPN or both) and other players with less offers then they said. Hard to trust any sports website. He had big offered coming out of high school. Hopefully he pans out. We just need size and he has size. 6 points and 6 boards a game would be nice at this point. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Rivals also had Chris Jones unranked(might have been ESPN or both) and other players with less offers then they said. Hard to trust any sports website. He had big offered coming out of high school. Hopefully he pans out. We just need size and he has size. 6 points and 6 boards a game would be nice at this point. 

Rivals had Chris Jones as a 3-star and listed offers from schools like Colorado, Houston, SMU, TCU, and others. ESPN is not a credible basketball recruiting site outside of the top 150-200 kids in the country.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

It was ESPN that had him not ranked, but if ESPN is only good at ranking top guys then maybe we will be ok this year. Holston and Brice are both ranked. Hoping for a good year. I have been hooping lately and it gets me more excited. 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is certainly an interesting prospect. I have only seen film of one of his games, when Thomas led small town Ville Platte against Louisiana's powerhouse program Madison Prep his senior season. Madison Prep's roster is essentially an all-star team of the most talented players from Baton Rouge and they easily won the state championship. Michael Thomas performed extremely well matched up against 6-10 current LSU star Jarrell Martin and carried his team with something like 20 points, 10 rebounds, and 5 blocks. With six minutes left the small school was only down by two shots when Thomas was pulled following his fourth foul and a close game quickly reverted to a rout.

I have no idea how well Mike Thomas has developed at the juco level but he certainly played outstanding ball in his one high school game that I've watched.

• Upvote 4