Is Something Wrong in Denton?

Harry

With Dajon -- the situation is a bit muddier. A lot of people are trying to throw out theories about why Dajon is gone now. And did he get dismissed from the team or did he leave?

I'm not going to share what I've heard, but I think it's safe to say Dajon was always going to be a story of 'What If'?

What if he didn't have to be concerned with taking care and raising his young daughter? What if he could have spent more time committed to Quarterback 101? What if he and the coaches got along a bit better? What if he didn't have four turnovers against UAB?

During spring practice Dajon lost the starting job (Did he ever have it coming out of the regular season?) to senior Andrew McNulty, and even dropped behind Josh Greer.

And with DaMarcus Smith becoming eligible for summer workouts it only means more competition on a team that has about 17 quarterbacks on the roster.

Yes -- Dajon had a great game against a terribly equipped Nicholls defense that had three different head coaches in the span of six days leading up to gameday. But, he also had a so-so game against Indiana and a really poor one at UAB that led to him getting the hook.

Read more: 

http://epicnemec.blogspot.com/2015/06/is-something-wrong-in-denton.html

I see little comparison between the two athletes's situation.   One was a star softball player and the other a potential QB for the Green.   I see the softball situation just the opposite from Vito, it is a lot muddier.   Athletes seek greener pastures all the time on their own or urged/forced by their coach.   Williams was not going to play much and he is gone, happens everywhere. 

The softball situation is a lot different, Schoblocher was the star of the team and would have been no doubt the featured player her senior year.  She is also at this point not transferring, she is just not going to play.  There is also the small detail that rumors persist that the softball problem involves many more players.  Making the tale even more complex as mentioned in Vito's older blog that Schoblocher's issues concern the assistant hitting coach.   This is strange because Schoblocher just had one of the best years in NT history at the plate and showed amazing gains.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2

I had a meeting today with a client's son who is the head football coach at a local high school in Frisco, so we got to talking about football and colleges that recruit their players. He mentioned that the school's QB got offered a full scholarship a couple of years ago after his freshman year to Clemson--a guy you may have heard of, Chad Morris was the OC at Clemson back then. For obvious reasons, an SMU offer is now being looked at. So that led me to ask him about UNT and Coach Mac. The dad said something really good, but also vey telling--he said, the UNT coaches are visible and they are very engaged, but the only kids that have any interest in looking at them on offense are the linemen. He said his son and the coaches like McCarney personally, but the only skill kids that have any interest in playing in Denton are those who run non-spread offenses, of which there was one in their district. He said it will always be tough to convince kids to play in an offense like that because coaches and players today think its just flat out boring. I told him that the fans think its boring, too, unless the defense and special teams make up for it.

Granted, this is one coach's view in the Metroplex, so you can take it for what it is worth, but it basically confirmed a big part of what we have thought about our QB issues--we can't get decent QBs here that can turn into something, in part because they won't come here, or because they won't get the chance to be developed into anything other than the busdriver. We just gotta pray that Mac's strength of developing linemen and solid hard-hitting defenses will show up in the upcoming years. Otheriwse, the next three years are going to be a lot like the other years around here for the last 10 years, sans 2013.

​I would think that any Running Back, regardless of H.S. offensive style, would be interested in coming here.   I'm thinking that once the Carthage Boys are finished here, more WR's will be looking here too.

• Upvote 1

​I would think that any Running Back, regardless of H.S. offensive style, would be interested in coming here.   I'm thinking that once the Carthage Boys are finished here, more WR's will be looking here too.

​Gotta have someone to throw it to them, though.

I agree on the RBs, but they are used to being in a spread offense for the most part, so a bruising pound-it-down-their-throat running game is basically the opposite of what they are used to. Not exactly the easiest thing to get used to...

You would not be talking about the QB from Frisco Lonestar would you? lol They have some studs over there I wish we could pull, even if it was only on defense. 

I had a meeting today with a client's son who is the head football coach at a local high school in Frisco, so we got to talking about football and colleges that recruit their players. He mentioned that the school's QB got offered a full scholarship a couple of years ago after his freshman year to Clemson--a guy you may have heard of, Chad Morris was the OC at Clemson back then. For obvious reasons, an SMU offer is now being looked at. So that led me to ask him about UNT and Coach Mac. The dad said something really good, but also vey telling--he said, the UNT coaches are visible and they are very engaged, but the only kids that have any interest in looking at them on offense are the linemen. He said his son and the coaches like McCarney personally, but the only skill kids that have any interest in playing in Denton are those who run non-spread offenses, of which there was one in their district. He said it will always be tough to convince kids to play in an offense like that because coaches and players today think its just flat out boring. I told him that the fans think its boring, too, unless the defense and special teams make up for it.

Granted, this is one coach's view in the Metroplex, so you can take it for what it is worth, but it basically confirmed a big part of what we have thought about our QB issues--we can't get decent QBs here that can turn into something, in part because they won't come here, or because they won't get the chance to be developed into anything other than the busdriver. We just gotta pray that Mac's strength of developing linemen and solid hard-hitting defenses will show up in the upcoming years. Otheriwse, the next three years are going to be a lot like the other years around here for the last 10 years, sans 2013.

​If we could bring in some stud D-linemen, I wouldn't be all that worried about not bringing in more "skill position" (as if playing on the line requires no skill) players than we are.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98