What other teams do you like besides UNT?

untjim1995

Root for:

Maryland --daughter is an alum.  And with the Big Ten network, I can actually keep up with their programs far better than UNT (sad to say)

TCU --wife teaches there

Syracuse -- always loved Syracuse basketball

Root against under all circumstances:

Texas A&M, Baylor, Duke, Clemson, SMU, Michigan State

Just ot make sure no one gets the wrong idea from the post, its just asking who else you like or root for when you aren't watching UNT. Obviously, we gmg posters all root for the alma mater no matter what, even if the university is full of students and alumni who are t-shirt fans of the other P5 giants around here.

Just wanted to make sure that was clarified--as was mentioned earlier, the constant ball-kicking that is being a UNT fan is enormously hard sometimes, but they are always going to be ours.

• Upvote 1

Root for

UNT - spent a big part of my life in Grad School in DEnton

WT - I teach there

Rice - Really good school, private, non-religious

Texas, Tech, UTEP, UTSA, A&M, SWTSU - Texas state universities

TCU, SMU, Baylor - Texas religious affiliates 

Root against:

Sun Belt

Like - G5, Army, Navy, Boise St.

P5, Texas (wife is a T-sip), Auburn (sis-in-law bleeds navy and orange), Texas A&M, Georgia (like the mascots!)

Hate - G5, smoo (for obvious reasons) utsa (can't beat them, damn it!)

P5 - TexasTech (sorriest fans in college football)

• Upvote 1

Root G5 #1 UTSA - duh

#2 UNT - PAST academic involvement

#3 OTHER CUSA -for SOS

Despise G5 #1 Houston- troll and talk b.s. on other teams boards

#2 SMU- out recruited us and refuses to schedule us

#3 Boise State- jealousy

Root P5 UTSA in 10 years (dreaming makes you a fan I guess)

Despise P5 All of them semi pro sobs

Edited by UTSA Fan
  • Upvote 2

I have a complicated breakdown of who I root for/against every year based on a mixture of conference affiliations, rankings, players/coaches, and how they're worshiped/vilified by the press.

In general though the two college football teams I root against the most are Texas and Alabama.  When they played for it all a few years ago, that was not a fun time in my place.  In college basketball I've always hated Kentucky, and now that Calipari is there they may as well be evil incarnate.  I'd root for Al Qaeda over BBN.

• Upvote 3

Russia State is the first school I look for on the Prudential College Scoreboard.

Joking aside, it is only North Texas I am interested in for obvious reasons. I do follow the scores for William and Mary, my dad's alma mater, UVa where  others in my family graduated and finally Duke, as it provides my wife a very nice standard of living which in turn allows me to spend time on GoMeanGreen.com rather than working.

• Upvote 6

SEC SEC SEC.  It is what pro football used to be. 

Gig'em love me some Texas A&M Aggies - sister alum.

Hawaii - Let's Go Bows - loved those hot rainy nights in Aloha Stadium after watching football since 5:00am.

UNLV - soft spot for the other hometown - will be interesting to see what Sanchez does

Root against - TU and TCU

That is pretty much it.  Oh and for the record Mean Green out in front by marathons.  Nothing beats a weekend in Apogee or on the road rooting for my alma mater.

GMG

• Upvote 2

P5 root against: I hate the Longhorns because I live in Austin and these people are delusional about how great they are

G5 root against: I HATE all things SMU and hope they lose to every team on their schedule until the end of time AND I wish them gristle and over or undercooked meat at each gameday "boulevard". I also hope that Abercrombie runs out of pink polos for their punk-ass fans to wear and hope that their sockless loafers rub blisters on their feet. F 'em!

​This may be the most beautiful quote I've ever read on this board.

• Upvote 4

College Football is by far my favorite sport to watch. Best crowd in sports with a mixture of alumni, fans, students, cheer squads & band.

P5 root for:

Oklahoma, Michigan, TCU 

P5 root against:

Baylor, A&M & Ole Miss

G5 root for:

North Texas, Houston, Boise State

G5 root against:

SMU 

The only other team I root for is Notre Dame. Those ties go way back, as I was born and raised just two or three miles from ND Stadium. I won't tell you how long ago that was but I remember when "Touchdown Jesus" was constructed and the player I most remember seeing was Paul Hornung; he was a QB in college. My uncle was an usher and occasionally slipped his nephew a ticket (still have stubs).

My least favorite list is pretty short.  I take a good, healthy SMU every morning.

• Upvote 3

UNT and TCU, when it comes to college. I am an alum of both. UNT is where my heart is, and where I started. True, TCU is better when it comes to most sports, but I buy my season tickets at UNT. More my style and where I feel at home. However,  during baseball season I mainly root for the frogs, since we have no damn baseball team! Hopefully, that changes over the next few years. Then of course for the pros, Cowboys, Rangers, Stars, Mavs, and FC Dallas.

I've got an extensive rooting hierarchy that goes like this:

1. UNT

2. Texas

3. UH/Rice

4. Any Texas school not named SMU.

5. Mississippi State

6. The Underdog

7. Anyone playing Notre Dame

This effectively covers almost every match-up, allowing me to be somewhat invested in almost anything happening in college football. The level of emotional investment, however, declines exponentially the further down the list I go.

​My list is pretty close to this.

1. UNT

2. Baylor

3. Any Texas school not named SMU or TAMU.

4. Mississippi State

5.  CUSA teams without a roadrunner as a mascot.

6. The Underdog

7. Anyone playing Notre Dame

We all love our Mean Green but I guess we have some differences...my Fighting Irish don't seem to be getting much love. 

Edited by EagleMBA
duplicate - delete
  • Upvote 1