What other teams do you like besides UNT?

untjim1995

Just for something interesting, are there any other programs you like or root for besides UNT? If so, break it down like this along with your reasons:

Other G5(s) you like: I like Air Force and Boise State--US military academy and the little guy that built itself up to be a badass

P5(s) you root for:  Kansas and Notre Dame--love the Jayhawks, primarily because of hoops and family, and I'm an Irish Catholic...

G5(s) you dislike the most: SMU--obvious

P5(s) you dislike the most: Baylor and Texas Tech--two schools who epitomize the term "tick", who also happen to have the most idiotic fanbase (Baylor) and a very trashy fanbase (Tech)

Florida. Father is an alum. Navy. I was in the Navy. 

I spend my money and time on UNT though. 

Oh and I root against all Texas teams unless a win is favorable for UNT. I root for any G5 team when playing vs a P5 team  (Texas teams included). I also root for the underdog in any given scenario unless the underdog is a P5 Texas team. That about sums up my cfb fandom. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 3

It varies from game to game and from year to year, but I always seem to have various rooting interests going on.  I've always liked Penn State.  Back in the Tim Brown/Rocket Ismail/Rick Mirer days, I liked Notre Dame.  I used to root for Texas and Tennessee, but my interest in those has waned significantly.  Last year I was pulling hard for TCU against Ole Miss even though I used to follow and cheer for Ole Miss.  For the most part, I root for whoever's winning is good for UNT.

I've got an extensive rooting hierarchy that goes like this: 

1. UNT

2. Texas

3. UH/Rice 

4. Any Texas school not named SMU.

5. Mississippi State

6. The Underdog

7. Anyone playing Notre Dame

This effectively covers almost every match-up, allowing me to be somewhat invested in almost anything happening in college football. The level of emotional investment, however, declines exponentially the further down the list I go. 

• Upvote 3

Always liked Georgia and Michign growing up.  

My love of the constant ball kicks that are UNT sports have really pretty much ruined all other college sports for me though.... It just makes me angry seeing others not always suck. 

• Upvote 5

Love:

Florida (family ties)

Strong like:

Baylor (wife is an alumna)

Minnesota (more family ties)

Love to hate:

LSU

TU (both of them)

Alabama

Pedo State

Strong dislike:

Georgia

Iowa

Wisconsin

both Michigans

USC

Oregon

Ohio St

SMU

I'm also taking a strong disliking to UTEP basketball. Kind of like Arkansas state basketball.

• Upvote 1

Baylor - I got an MBA through their DEMBA program. 

Texas - father graduated in 1941, grandfather graduated in 1912.

Don't root for either school but if I can I try to watch the Cal-Stanford game every year. I saw the "spike the ball into a trombone player" on TV as it happened and I've watched that game more years than not ever since! 

Syracuse -> Applied and was accepted there right out of High School. Cheer for them when I can.

Texas Tech -> Wanted to go there as a kid. Aunt lived in Lubbock and always talked Tech up.

Navy -> Brother was a Middie. Played football there.

Michigan & USC -> Hated Notre Dame as a kid because of my best friend being such a Golden Domes fan. Naturally, I gravitated towards the Wolverines & Trojans to counter his fandom.

Edited by Got5onIt

When I was in HS I liked Texas, and rooted for them. That ended when I enrolled at NT. I have a casual interest in TCU because my daughter-in-law is a graduate and our neighbor across the street is as well. We root for one another's schools. It'll get interesting if we ever find ourselves facing one another in a bowl.

I used to like Air Force (my dad was in the Army Air Corp in WWII) before it became the sexual assault capitol of the service academies. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Im at Louisville so i root for the Cards. I always loved Duke so i guess I root for the Blue Devils as well. outside of that, I am rarely cheering on another team. I have never spent a dime in support of anyone else but UNT though for what it's worth.

Edited by MeanGreen13
  • Upvote 2

P5 root for: Tech (wife is an alum); A&M (dad went to fire school there)

G5 root for: none really (I guess maybe Tx State since I live fairly close and they are similarly situated to us)

P5 root against: I hate the Longhorns because I live in Austin and these people are delusional about how great they are

G5 root against: I HATE all things SMU and hope they lose to every team on their schedule until the end of time AND I wish them gristle and over or undercooked meat at each gameday "boulevard". I also hope that Abercrombie runs out of pink polos for their punk-ass fans to wear and hope that their sockless loafers rub blisters on their feet. F 'em!

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3

I'll cheer for any Texas school when not playing UNT except A&M and UTEP. (Odd two I know but I've lived in EP and Aggies remind me of "The Manchurian Candidate".) I can't stand either because of their fans. However, I'd let my daughters go to A&M because it's a good school. UTEP I wouldn't give a dime even though my dad went there. 

TCU got hosed last year too. Freaking NCAA BS...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Followed Arkansas as a youngster because of my family. I also liked Ohio State way back when Schlitster (sp?) was their QB. Loved watching him but his gambling problems and Woodie Hayes ended all of that. Their recent AD's comments about the G5 schools solidifies my hatred of them.

Only follow NT now. 

Hate SMU because they are SMU.  I also hate UT because of all their t-shirt  fans that love them yet never took one class there.  My hatred also stems from their arrogance towards everyone else and predicting A&M's failure in the SEC. Love how the Aggies have proven them wrong. 

• Upvote 2

Grew up watching TCU games at Amon Carter so they always have a place in my fandom. Texas is up there, family ties and always enjoyed the Horns. I usually want Navy to do well. Went to my first Army-Navy game last year and I highly recommend the experience. I root for George Mason because I have a grad degree from there also. And they are actually successful sometimes!

I actively root against SMU (duh) and most other Texas schools especially A&M, Tech, and Baylor. I do have a soft spot for Rice I guess since they were always such a SWC underdog.

• Upvote 1

I'll root for most G5 teams, except $mut.  I do like to see the American Airlines Conference fail though.

I root for TCU because my mom is an alumni, but I wouldn't cheer for them against NT

I root for Marshall because my dad is from the same town, but once again, I would not cheer for them against NT

I actually hate $mut, but still have to mention it.

I hate Ohio State because they are just like texas college. 

I think the world would be a better place if tu ceased to exist.

OH, and I like pie...and tacos.

• Upvote 3

Root For:

IOWA - Father, two brothers, wife and I all graduated from Iowa.  I've been looking forward to the Mean Green game at Kinnick Stadium for a long time!

OU & Northwestern:  Daughter is an alumnus of both.

Root Against:

The Ohio State, Michigan and SMU

• Upvote 2

UNT is the one I follow

Syracuse due to father being raised their and following them while gorwing up, although not as major a fan since the Greg Robinson debacle few years back.

Hate with a passion UT and Arkansas most annoying fans

• Upvote 1