MGB breaking news -- Dajon Williams no longer a part of UNT program

Brett Vito

​everyone else can plainly see he doesn't have any insights or opinions. you're only saying that because meanrob's dad posted with you back in your mod days in Iowa. 

​At the initial Mean Green Club event my dad publicly called us North Texas State. Hasn't been heard from since. 

​I guess we buy what we want to buy...

Seneca Wallace was an NFL QB he got to come to Iowa State. He got them into the top 10 at one point before the old Big XII just grinded them into a pulp. He had Sage Rosenfels, there, too.

But here at North Texas, going into his fifth season as the head coach, the only QBs we have seen that get to play with any regularity in his offenses here are busdrivers. Derek Thompson, Andrew McNulty, and Josh Greer. The other QBs that have failed to get meaningful playing time of more than a few games are Osborn, Berglund, Dajon, etc...all known during their recruitment as QBs who were dual threats or had big arms, which come to think of it, sounds exaclty like Damarcus Smith.

Look, I want you to be right about this--I think McNulty is below average for a FBS QB. I think anyone who can make plays should be the QB, not someone who cannot throw consistently downfield. The track record at UNT for Mac, though, says completely the opposite will happen.

​Agree, and QB talent evaluation is sorely lacking.  That falls on McCarney & Chico.  (although, to be fair, DW did get more playing time than Greer).

Osborn wasn't a mobile, playmaking QB either.  He and Greer are about the same to me.

But that doesn't mean McCarney will only use bus drivers.  It's just that we haven't seen an effective mobile QB come in here and win the job from a less-mistake-prone QB (who just happens to be of the bus driver variety; re: DT & AM).

DENTON — The trips to Iowa State are what Andrew McNulty remembers most about the genesis of a relationship that would shape his life in ways he never imagined.

Back when he was growing up in Iowa City, Iowa, McNulty would pile into the car with his father, Jim, and brother, Ted, for drives across the state to Ames to see Dan McCarney’s Cyclones play.

Jim McNulty and McCarney were teammates at Iowa in the early 1970s and have been friends ever since.

“I remember the games, and particularly when they beat Iowa,” McNulty said. “I had a lot of fun at those games.”

Years later, McCarney, still chasing wins and bowl bids, is leaning on McNulty, the kid who used to come by the locker room and then his house after games, to help guide the way.

McNulty made his second start at UNT and first since 2011 last week, when he threw for 287 yards in the Mean Green’s 30-20 loss to Southern Miss. The performance helped him hang onto the job heading into Saturday’s game at Rice.

UNT (2-5) has little margin for error if it wants to make a run at a second straight bowl game. McCarney is pinning the Mean Green’s hopes to a large extent on McNulty, who UNT’s coach has known since he was crawling around in diapers.

“He’s our guy this week and maybe the rest of the season and all of next year, if he takes care of the ball and keeps making plays,” McCarney said. “I was really encouraged, not discouraged, with the job he did leading our offense.”

The opportunity is one McNulty had to wait years to receive. In 2011, McNulty scored the first touchdown in the history of Apogee Stadium on a 10-yard run after coming in for starter Derek Thompson, but quickly disappeared off the radar.

Thompson started for three years and led UNT to a Heart of Dallas Bowl win last season. McCarney turned to junior college transfer Josh Greer for three games and redshirt freshman Dajon Williams for the next three before giving McNulty a shot late in a 56-21 loss to UAB two weeks ago.

McNulty threw for 167 yards and won the starting job the following week in practice.

“I never lost confidence in myself and knew that if I kept taking care of business and working hard that I would eventually get a chance to prove myself,” McNulty said.

This is not a typical quarterback-coach relationship.

From 10/3/2011 

Edited by Cr1028
grammar
  • Upvote 1

The Sully Side of Sports: McCarney starting new photo album

September 29, 2011 6:00 pm  •  By JIM SULLIVAN, jim.sullivan@wcfcourier.com

The first photograph is 16 years old, taken shortly after Dan McCarney won his first game as a head football coach at Iowa State.

Two of the men in the frame are Dave Butler and Jim McNulty. They were McCarney's teammates during their playing careers at Iowa. On that Thursday night in 1995, they celebrated a wild, 36-21, win over Ohio.

"That's one of my favorite pictures," said McCarney this week. "It was taken a long time ago."

There will be another photograph. Someone snapped it last Saturday night after North Texas beat Indiana, 24-21. There they are - Dave Butler and Jim McNulty helping Dan McCarney celebrate his first victory as the Mean Green's head coach.

"That's a picture I'll cherish for a long time," said McCarney

Two photos, two jobs, one man who is not existing in still life. Dan McCarney is a head coach once more, and he's trying to rebuild another program in his image.

Iowa State fans know the history. McCarney replaced Jim Walden late in 1994, shortly after the Cyclones went 0-10-1. That's when they celebrated a tie by singing the school fight song.

McCarney, with the help of 291 rushing yards by Troy Davis, beat Ohio in that opener. Cynics dubbed the 1995 game "The Donut Bowl, because ISU and the Bobcats failed to win a game the year before.

It wasn't easy. McCarney seemed to be teetering on the brink of failure for five tough years. Then he led Iowa State to its first bowl victory in 2000. He won another postseason game four years later.

By 2006, he was gone, perhaps a victim of his own success. Iowa State let two chances to win the Big 12 North Division get away. So McCarney resigned, but not before ISU beat Missouri in his final game. McCarney left Jack Trice Stadium on the shoulders of his players.

Now, following stints as an assistant at South Florida and Florida, McCarney has his feet on the ground in Denton, Texas. Once again, he's trying to lift a woebegone program. In four years under Todd Dodge, North Texas posted a 6-37 mark, including 3-9 last season.

It's McCarney's turn, and of course the college football world has changed a great deal since he celebrated with his old teammates in 1995.

In at least one respect, though, McCarney is much the same.

Read what he said Monday about North Texas' win over Indiana. The script could have been torn, with a few alterations, from a McCarney press conference at the Jacobson Building in 1996, 1999, 2001, 2004 ...

"It gives us some credibility," he said during the Sun Belt teleconference. "In the short time we've been here, we're trying to build a foundation for a program that's been down so long. That's well-documented.

"To have some kind of success, a victory, to reward these guys and have something to show for the hard work of the last nine months - that's really important. We beat a team with more resources - more money, a big conference, more tradition. All of those things.

"If we put a plan together and execute the plan, we can come out on top with a victory. It shows that at least there are a lot of good, small positive steps being taken in the right direction."

Saturday, North Texas plays Tulsa, and McCarney made sure the listeners got the picture. Best 1-3 team in America, he said of the Golden Hurricane. Beat Notre Dame a year ago.

"We have a tremendous challenge at Tulsa this week, and we're looking forward to it," said McCarney.

McCarney faced a lot of tremendous challenges at Iowa State. He didn't win them all; he left a lot of stadiums late on a Saturday as a defeated head coach. But he won his share, knocking off Iowa in 1998 to end a 15-year losing streak, beating Pittsburgh in the 2000 Insight.com Bowl and watching Seneca Wallace work his magic against Texas Tech in 2002.

McCarney is 58 years old. He is competing in a new facility - Apogee Stadium. There are games to be played, mountains to climb.

Someday, there may be another photo of Dave Butler, Jim McNulty and Dan McCarney celebrating on a football field.

It's an image McCarney can't wait to create.

http://wcfcourier.com/sports/blogs/sully_side_of_sports/the-sully-side-of-sports-mccarney-starting-new-photo-album/article_bf62b6e2-ea63-11e0-9e2a-001cc4c002e0.html

Conventional wisdom is that the job is McNulty's to lose. According to McCarney, “McNulty doesn’t have a super strong arm, but he has great respect and credibility from everyone in the program.” Neat, maybe he can respect his way to some wins in 2014.

http://surebud.net/news/2014/6/1/summer-school-north-texas-mean-green

Proving he’s from Iowa, McNulty has a piece of memorabilia valued greatly by natives of Iowa City, home of Iowa Hawkeyes football: an autographed picture of Chuck Long, KU’s offensive coordinator.

“It’s from when he was with the (Detroit) Lions,” McNulty said. “My dad got it for me.”

Ted’s father, Jim McNulty, played at Iowa (1973-76) well before Long (1982-85).

“Bringing some Iowa City over here is always good,” said Ted McNulty, a reserve tight end. “Everybody knows (Long) and loves him up there.”

It’s only natural Ted should hate everything Cyclones, but he doesn’t. Former ISU coach Dan McCarney and Jim McNulty remain close friends from their days as Iowa teammates.

“I actually thought about going there for a little bit, but then once they got rid of Dan, I wasn’t considering them anymore,” Ted said. “We kind of had a torn family. Gotta support the Hawkeyes, born and raised in Iowa City, but we made it to a lot of Cyclones’ games.”

Ted’s kid brother Andrew, a first-team all-state selection at Iowa City High in 2010, is a freshman at North Texas, where McCarney is in his second year as head coach. Andrew has completed 28 of 51 passes for 352 yards and a touchdown.

College football can be a small world. When Ted went to a North Texas game during KU’s bye week, he not only watched a coach and quarterback he had known his whole life, he also visited with Mean Green defensive coordinator Clint Bowen, who was at KU for Ted’s first three seasons.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2011/nov/03/kansas-te-ted-mcnulty-eager-isu/

I read these stories and it is hard for me to ignore that nepotism might just play a small role in our quarterback debacle since McCarney has been here. In case you were wondering, yes the Dave Butler referenced in the first post had at least one son, and he was a starting center for Iowa State under Dan McCarney.

• Upvote 4

Here is what we know: something went bad!

A QB that looked to have more raw talent than most of the competition got an opportunity but could not hold on to the job in his freshman season. After sophomore spring practice he's gone

There are rumors as to why we're here: the QB did not have the work ethic, the coach did not trust him, doghouse or coach favoritism.

But that is all it is rumors. We do not know. And I have to say, that people who are emotionally invested (otherwise known as fans) almost have ton speculate on what went wrong in order to understand why they should have hope or abondon ship. And this brings me back to something i even said in 2013:

Macs refusal to give any information that is not painfully obvious / legally necessary, kills his margin of error, and that is on him. If it is common practice to not give any real info on the decisions, then we cannot judge if the coach has good reasons or not to do what he does. That makes him totally depend on the results. If things work out, we must assume he is doing fine, if they don't we have no choice but to assume he takes the wrong decisions. Without more info, there is really no reason for giving the coach the benefit of the doubt when the results are not there.

In sum: coach mac better have a bounce back season this year. I feel its not impossible, but seeing the schedule and the team I am not going to make big bets on going bowling and even less competing for the conference title.

• Upvote 1

Our hopes for solid QB play rest on the shoulders of a JUCO QB at his 4th school. I don't have high hopes but maybe it will work out. If he is an above average CUSA QB I think we can hover around 6 or 7 wins the next two years, if he proves to be elite at the CUSA level we could see a couple seasons like 2013. Hopefully we will grab a high school QB in the next two classes who will turn our luck around I just don't see it between Greer, Chumley and Means.

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every once in a while, right?

• Upvote 3

​Ok, does anyone know where Osborn transferred to, and how he did there?

​He finished his degree at UNT, I believe on scholarship.  He found himself a Texas cutie that kept him from transferring anywhere.  I ran into his dad at games several times, great guy.  And based on what I saw out of Osborn on the field, I wish he would have had more of a shot.  But I've thought that about other QB's as well.

• Upvote 3

I read these stories and it is hard for me to ignore that nepotism might just play a small role in our quarterback debacle since McCarney has been here. In case you were wondering, yes the Dave Butler referenced in the first post had at least one son, and he was a starting center for Iowa State under Dan McCarney.

And the moon landings were all faked. Black helicopters really brought down the WTC. And JFK is still alive in a hidden basement at Parkland. 

• Upvote 1

And the moon landings were all faked. Black helicopters really brought down the WTC. And JFK is still alive in a hidden basement at Parkland. 

​So you are saying that the sons of McCarney's best friends were not starters on his FBS football teams?

​So you are saying that the sons of McCarney's best friends were not starters on his FBS football teams?

​I'm saying you're making an irrational jump in judgement. 1+1 is 2 and you are extrapolating 12,345,456,456,765 from it. Yes, the sons of the very good football players became good football players themselves. That's the norm. What you are suggesting without any support is the only way the sons of good college football players could become starters on the college teams is via nepotism. I'm sure Mac was friends with a LOT of people who had sons that became football players. Not all became starters. And do you anything at all to show the players who became starters were NOT the best players available at the time?

People who were not at all of the practices, all of the scrimmages or at all of the meetings seem to know far better than the professional who were at all of those things. But somehow, a group of coaches who are obsessed with winning are going to purposely choose to loose, apparently for the sole reason of making our fans mad. I don't think so!

By the way, on the CUSA board someone suggested that DW could go play for UAB. The UAB fans said thanks, no, they've seen him play.

"Williams started three of the eight games in which he played, including his first career start in which UNT tied a Conference USA scoring record in a 77-7 rout of FCS Nicholls State."

​"Johnson redshirted his true freshman season after coming to Denton as a two-star member of UNT’s 2013 recruiting class."

Glad to see they proof read this article. 

Edited by meangreen15
  • Upvote 3

"Williams started three of the eight games in which he played, including his first career start in which UNT tied a Conference USA scoring record in a 77-7 rout of FCS Nicholls State.  He also led the Mean Green in passing touchdowns (seven) despite playing just two-thirds of the season."

​"Johnson redshirted his true freshman season after coming to Denton as a two-star member of UNT’s 2013 recruiting class."

Glad to see they proof read this article. 

Maybe they were thinking of Antonio Johnson?

A neighborhood kid (average athlete at best) that I played multiple sports with from early grade school to high school ended up being our starting running back his senior year to the dismay of practically everyone. Guess what. Our coach and his dad were teammates and buddies at A&M. We won 3 games only because of a stellar defense. That kind of stuff will routinely go on in kiddie ball until the end of time, but it has no place where the participants are old enough to own a razor.

• Upvote 1