MGB breaking news -- Dajon Williams no longer a part of UNT program

Brett Vito

Dajon has to grow up.  I hope another program gives him a shot based on some of the good film he has at UNT.  Dajon has issues with maturity.  Football wise and off the field.  Hopefully he learns from his mistakes.

Yay! More character assassination based off of a stupid Facebook chart two years ago!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Lesson to learn: Don't have kids when you're a freshman under Coach Mac.

​If, IF, this played any part in McCarney's decisions to bench him, bury him on the depth chart, or ultimately dismiss him (if he was even dismissed?), then it's the crappiest of the crappy and I'm ready for McCarney to be gone ASAP.  I just don't think it was (at least, I hope it wasnt).

• Upvote 1

Joey Byerly redux

​Hey, it's been 10 years. Where does the time go?

Also, does that mean this is now one of our traditions? Losing talented QBs for seemingly innocuous reasons that add up to kind of a weird pattern has to at least be the new albino squirrel.

I could see him going JUCO. He's still eligible to play JUCO ball as a redshirt sophomore, and it'd give him a good chance to get showcased.

As it is we were the only FBS school who offered him, so I'm not sure if schools who didn't recruit him then would be willing to offer now, without watching him play a full season (i.e. at a JUCO).

​We were likely the only because he committed very early and shut down his recruitment.

First of all, this is not the guy that I was hoping would move on.

And addressing the issue of coaching vs personal responsibility/maturity issue.  I view good coaching in much the same way as I view good parenting. The most successful parents are the ones who have the ability to "individualize" their kids and adjust their parenting accordingly. If you have three kids and you parent each of them exactly the same then you'll be lucky if two of them become fully functional adults. And that's assuming you have the ability to parent in the first place.

This is a long way to say that any coach with any sort of "skins" on the wall should have accurately assessed the situation with DW a LONG time ago and either 1). formulated an action plan with him (complete with time frames), that he fully understood, to get on the path to being a starter and reaching his full potential in the aforementioned coach's system,  or 2) advised him to move-on a long time before this. 

I agree with the poster who said that DW finally saw the writing on the wall when Mr. Greer was put ahead of him on the depth chart after the spring game. If I was DW I couldn't have been more insulted.

But, moving on, this could be an opportunity for the coaching staff to give Mr. Dillman an opportunity to see how he could do at the QB position, and go ahead and move Mr. Chumley to his ideal position.....TE. 

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 3

To me, coaching and teaching boil down to mentoring. good professors are effective with students because they set up a mentoring relationship that aids in learning. same with a coach. you want to grow young men? then invest in them more than they invest in you and watch what happens. not saying that it would have turned out different but it definitely came off as the coaches (read Mac) never liked DW interpersonally and gave him opportunities without helping him take advantage of it. i never understood the whole we give you the opportunity and you have to make it happen or you are out of here. If the kid knew what to do, why would he need a coach or a mentor? anyway, I am planning on being a professor so mentoring is something I think about a lot. There doesn't appear to have ever been a mentor for DW. Even someone like DT was at odds with the kid from the beginning (probably because the coaches used DW to threaten DT's position way too early). I know that because of some of the comments DT has made on social media that hinted at it. anyway, best of luck to DW!!! hope he finds a mentor out there that will invest in him, football and otherwise.

• Upvote 2

Sad missed opportunity here for everyone: DW, Mac, Canales. If DW ever gets his head on straight he could really make this hurt, especially if he goes JUCO builds up his stock and lands at P5 (we all know he has the talent). Also hope Demarcus Smith comes in and is All-CUSA while McNulty's fingers get callouses from holding clipboard so much. 

• Upvote 1

I would like Billy's perspective on this question:

Who would you say is the biggest impact recruit that we offered early, influencing said player to shut down his recruiting early, that everyone else decided not to offer because we offered early and the player outwardly said he was shutting down his recruiting early? Grammatical errors intentional.

GMG

• Upvote 1

As I suspected, the "talent isn't everything, you have to work for it...blah, blah, blah" crowd has come out and I could have predicted who they would be.   So, for the Mac apologists, explain this one.  When the one thing that Brock Burglund and Dajon Williams have in common (other than not being a statue) is that they were brought here BY MAC...and then you add in the debacle that is Greer (again, brought in BY MAC)...when do we start to question the coach?!   

I know, I know, for a few of you (actually one) questioning Mac is questioning RV...and that's just too much.

How did you react to Vizza and Reilly leaving? Did you go on a crusade to defend their honor on GMG?

I know that sounds like a smart ass question, but I mean it as serious question because I don't think I was even signed up on GMG (or knew of its existence) when Vizza left and I don't recall your reaction when Reilly left.

IF your reaction was different, then why?

For what it's worth, I'm more concerned this staff doesn't have an heir apparent than I am that a QB left the team. I would prefer that all players remain in school (and the one they started at), but I understand that players want to play and will move on to find PT. I think all the angst surrounding Williams is that he didn't have as much competition for the job than we would like. If we had a good (or dare I hope, great) QB few would be so concerned about Dajon not playing or leaving.

• Upvote 5

How did you react to Vizza and Reilly leaving? Did you go on a crusade to defend their honor on GMG?

​Not to speak for Emmitt at all, but I recall very mixed reactions for both Vizza and Riley.  

The wizard of Dragon Stadium was a divisive force.  

If you loved the Titan of Teflon, you tended to spew acidic good riddances to Vizza and his outspoken father and laud Riley as a class act who had exhausted his dream of playing for his father, playing his heart out on the field.  

If, on the other hand, you believed His Highness of Highway 26 was in over his head, arrogant, unyielding in his incompetence, and hopeless as an FBS coach, you tended to understand Vizza's departure (although questioning some of his post-UNT actions) and dismiss Riley's departure as writing on the wall that nepotism was no longer going to guarantee him the starting position.

• Upvote 3

​Not to speak for Emmitt at all, but I recall very mixed reactions for both Vizza and Riley.  

The wizard of Dragon Stadium was a divisive force.  

If you loved the Titan of Teflon, you tended to spew acidic good riddances to Vizza and his outspoken father and laud Riley as a class act who had exhausted his dream of playing for his father, playing his heart out on the field.  

If, on the other hand, you believed His Highness of Highway 26 was in over his head, arrogant, unyielding in his incompetence, and hopeless as an FBS coach, you tended to understand Vizza's departure (although questioning some of his post-UNT actions) and dismiss Riley's departure as writing on the wall that nepotism was no longer going to guarantee him the starting position.

​This is how I remember it.  

• Upvote 1

DW's leaving is hardly a surprise.  Many thought he would leave after last Fall.  In hindsight, he probably should have. 

This is what QB's do.  If they are not in a position to play significant minutes, they move on.  Sadly, it was probably time for DW to move on for his own sake.  I still can't believe he was not ahead of Greer (at least) on the depth chart, but that just shows how far the divide between DW and the coaching staff must have been.

Best of luck to DW.  I hope he lights it up somewhere in the Fall.

Edited by greenit
  • Upvote 1