Plano Caravan

KRAM1

Once again, Plano did not disappoint as a venture or a crowd. Very nice crowd even with the threat of storms. I am going to estimate about 80 in attendance "all in". Highlight for me was hearing from Coach Lama our head tennis coach. Always inspiring to hear from Coach Lama. And, by the way, he is from Nepal for those who who did not know, and has set up a website to help with relief for the citizens of Nepal suffering from the recent devastating earthquakes. If you wish to help, any amount even $1 or $2 would do so much to help, just go to:

www.supportprojectnepal.com and make a donation in support.

Along with our tennis head coach we heard from volleyball, swimming and diving, cross counter and, of course, football and both men's and women's basketball head coaches and RV.

RV talked about baseball and mentioned that we will definitely have baseball and that the recent challenges that faced the University from a financial standpoint have now been resolved. As such, he indicated that work on bringing baseball to UNT could now continue. So, good news there.

In addition, Coach Mac was pretty adament that we would never again as long as RV is AD or he is head coach have another five game home season. Others who were in attendance can verify for themselves that Coach Mac was pretty strong in those comments.

Coach Mitchell is really a fun interview and speaker in my opinion. Had a couple of funny stories for us tonight. And, we found out that our cross country coach and swimming and diving assistant coach are both getting married in July and that our CC coach is getting married on campus in the Business Leadership Building. How about that for a wedding venue! Go Mean Green!

It was pointed out that the athletic department GPA is about 3.1. Most coaches discussed their teams gpa's which were very good indeed. There seems to be a competition between several of the teams for the highest team GPA. Seems like tennis and swimming and volleyball are all above 3.5. Pretty outstanding.

Food by Rudy's BBQ tonight, beer and wine plus tequila from Milagro. Very nice..

Others in attendance, please chime in with your comments. As usual, I enjoyed being with so many members of the Mean Green Nation and hearing from our coaches.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

My very first one, Mark look forward to your call.

1. We have some good stuff brewing at UNT in athletics.
2. The academics seemed in line and I really liked that!
3. Coach Benford and I talked about a few of the kids I coached, he seemed legitimately interested, good for NT!!
4. Talked with Jailee (sp) and I mentioned a few girls at our MS. She mentioned she's recruited at MS before, and chuckled about that when I mentioned they were only MS. She knew a girl who left TC went to PCA Jade Williams who is probably far above NT but cool to know she knew her. As I coached her younger brother, more on that in 5.
5. TB wanted me to send him info on the boys I coached, who I made threads about, at least one anyway. They'll both be vying for varsity time as freshman at TC in BBALL.
6. Wish our coaches hit the metroplex even harder for FB recruits, TC has a RB who reminds me of B BYRD! Relentless, K-state, Purdue, Washington, and several other schools have been out multiple times taking video to take home and pitch the kid to their coaches. I really hope NT comes in and takes him, they let him and Bryan Hammond slip out of their grasp I will be really frustrated.

I am going to do my very best to make it to Denton for the final coaches caravan Thursday. I had a blast at this one, we need to find a way to get the young alums to one of these events, as I think it would quickly engage them into NT athletics, fun event. Very cool to see the coaches interacting with the crowd. I would even venture as far to say they should have some type of event for YOUNG ALUM ONLY, Recently graduated within 5-6 years, and have your greeks make a competition out of the number of previous XYZ fraternity or sorority whichever got the most recent alums to attend is able to have their XYZ plastered over the NT athletics webpage for a month or a week or whatever. Seriously, if you have not been to one of these you should go it was pretty eye opening to see the positive support. I know we havent been as successful as we want, but I completely agree that our athletic programs are VERY close to exploding, and if they do, we could be in for a fun ride. We are in too good of a spot locally, and nationally, to not be dominant. It is time that I step up as an alum, and you do what you can to support our school. Thanks, and GMG

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Once again, Plano did not disappoint as a venture or a crowd. Very nice crowd even with the threat of storms. I am going to estimate about 80 in attendance "all in". Highlight for me was hearing from Coach Lama our head tennis coach. Always inspiring to hear from Coach Lama. And, by the way, he is from Nepal for those who who did not know, and has set up a website to help with relief for the citizens of Nepal suffering from the recent devastating earthquakes. If you wish to help, any amount even $1 or $2 would do so much to help, just go to:

www.supportprojectnepal.com and make a donation in support.

Along with our tennis head coach we heard from volleyball, swimming and diving, cross counter and, of course, football and both men's and women's basketball head coaches and RV.

RV talked about baseball and mentioned that we will definitely have baseball and that the recent challenges that faced the University from a financial standpoint have now been resolved. As such, he indicated that work on bringing baseball to UNT could now continue. So, good news there.

In addition, Coach Mac was pretty adament that we would never again as long as RV is AD or he is head coach have another five game home season. Others who were in attendance can verify for themselves that Coach Mac was pretty strong in those comments.

Coach Mitchell is really a fun interview and speaker in my opinion. Had a couple of funny stories for us tonight. And, we found out that our cross country coach and swimming and diving assistant coach are both getting married in July and that our CC coach is getting married on campus in the Business Leadership Building. How about that for a wedding venue! Go Mean Green!

It was pointed out that the athletic department GPA is about 3.1. Most coaches discussed their teams gpa's which were very good indeed. There seems to be a competition between several of the teams for the highest team GPA. Seems like tennis and swimming and volleyball are all above 3.5. Pretty outstanding.

Food by Rudy's BBQ tonight, beer and wine plus tequila from Milagro. Very nice..

Others in attendance, please chime in with your comments. As usual, I enjoyed being with so many members of the Mean Green Nation and hearing from our coaches.

Harry, can we pin this thread to the top of the board for about five years? That way, when KRAM says "I don't remember RV promising six game schedules every year...maybe he did, but I don't think anyone can prove it", we don't have to go hunting for his own words.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 3

Harry, can we pin this thread to the top of the board for about five years? That way, when KRAM says "I don't remember RV promising six game schedules every year...maybe he did, but I don't think anyone can prove it", we don't have to go hunting for his own words. Edited 12 hours ago by emmitt01

Great idea...but it was Mac that said it..I know reading skills are tough...but it was Mac. So, sure pin away that way you will know what goes on at these Caravans since you have missed Gainesville, Ft Worth, Dallas and Plano so far. It will be easy for you to remember what goes on at these things. Great idea Emmitt! I vote "yes".

One left on Thursday in Denton. I know it might take a little effort but would love to see you there then so you can ask all those hard hitting questions.

If not, we can pin the review of that one for you as well.

Edited by Coach Andy Mac
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

Once again, the Plano caravan was excellent.

I brought 4 first timers.  All were impressed with the entire coaching staff and the event as a whole.  One signed up for the Mean Green Club on the spot.

I did notice that everyone that spoke was careful to thank those in attendance and that they understood that they were preaching to the faithful.

Also met the new Mean Green Club director (Jessica followed her new husband to Texas, can you believe that?).

Fun event.

Go Mean Green

• Upvote 3

I really enjoyed the event. And thanks to KRAM1 for doing the driving from Denton. I also got to visit with my favorite fan, GrayEagle. I'm sorry that Jordan Case was not there as I was looking forward to visiting with him. 

HOWEVER I did get to briefly visit with one of my favorite DB's of all time (from the Corkey Nelson era) Jay Saad. Mr. dependable. I told him that I don't think I ever saw him miss an assignment while playing at North Texas. For all you new/younger fans, Jay Saad was the Kenny Buyers of his era.

Jay Saad, #17 on your program.

addendum: Before someone comes on and corrects me, Jay Saad also (like Jamal Marshal) played LB. In fact, he was all conference at LB in 1984. But  he started off playing DB.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

Sorry that we didn't have more time to speak at the event last week, Mark.  My wife and brood - which now includes a nephew home for summer - enjoyed it.  We won something again, too!  I'm changing my last name to Lucky!  Ignatius Mateo Lucky.  I.M. Lucky, for short.

It's third time in four years we've won something.  Billy Idol used to say, "People really do win on MTV!"  I can say the same for the Coaches Caravan.  So, fill out those cards the cheerleaders give you when you are getting your name tags. 

• Upvote 1