Some Random Positive News

KRAM1

Awesomeness. Our softball program could be a consistent program for us and I am glad to see them upgrading the facilities. This goes without saying, but that 7% needs to improve. A little data cross reference analysis could allow us to pinpoint the actual donor number.

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 1

A couple questions:

1) Regarding point seven, what is the ideal giving percentage among university alumni?

2) This goes back to Cerebus's post and the AD's 2001 "Game Plan for Success": where would be financially if we had actually met those goals? Was failing to meet those numbers considered a financial loss or set-back? Maybe even a reason there has been a delay in additional facility development?

Thanks for the update, Kram.

Well...I do not have many more specifics than I posted. What we got was the "executive overview" not the detailed report, so really no dates, times, etc. or specific details more than I posted.

As far as an ideal percentage of alumni giving...well, that's a good question and I wish I had thought to ask that one. What I do know is that is is well above 7%. But, even with the "identifiable" 170,000 alums it will take a good number of new donors to raise that number. And, in addition, new "identifiable" alums are being added each and every day ... In fact several thousand new added just this last week due to graduation. And many more as UNT systems and programs are combined, upgraded and coordinated across campus departments and units. A VERY big project in itself, but one on going for a couple of years now with significant progress made, but plenty of room to go to be able to declare victory.

All alums can help by just calling the alumni association or the division of Advancement or their own college and just update their info or check to see if it is current. And, of course, by filling out that Alumni Association survey and sending it back in if you are one of the 55,000 receiving the survey via email.

The 7% alumni support has got to improve. I live in Denton and have purchased two season tickets for years plus donation. Maybe the out of town alums just don't feel connected. How do we bring them home? One, we need to start winning consistantly. We have been piss poor at this. Rick V and the Board need to ramp it up or we stay pathetic. GMG

• Upvote 2

I thought the common bathrooms/concessions area for the soccer stadium and Lovelace were gonna be tied into the overall redevelopment of that area when they (eventually) build the baseball stadium? I'd heard them say it was gonna be a kind of plaza area where that driveway between Lovelace and the soccer field currently is.

Also, sorry for my ignorance, but where is the golf practice facility gonna be?

• Upvote 1

Mark, one thought, how are the alums that don't receive these emails/have moved and address has changed, how do we get our information changed? I am planning on joining the MGC at Plano, then the following month I'll be signing my wife and I both up for lifetime alumni memberships. Both NT grads, but I believe there's got to be a place, possibly a website that alums know for sure they can go to, and update all their information . What do you think? Thanks for that post very promising! Maybe enough alum join MGC and we won't have to play $$$$$ games and we can bring these coveted names to apogee

Mark, one thought, how are the alums that don't receive these emails/have moved and address has changed, how do we get our information changed? I am planning on joining the MGC at Plano, then the following month I'll be signing my wife and I both up for lifetime alumni memberships. Both NT grads, but I believe there's got to be a place, possibly a website that alums know for sure they can go to, and update all their information . What do you think? Thanks for that post very promising! Maybe enough alum join MGC and we won't have to play $$$$$ games and we can bring these coveted names to apogee

Go to www.unt.edu and click on alumni and you will get to a site to establish a log in, find coming events, join the alumni association , and connect with other alums.

• Upvote 1

Getting as many people to join the MGC in theory would allow UNT to try and minimize road P5 games, in theory of course. Increase in attendance could also offset the budget to allow UNT to start avoiding at least in some years the road P5 game. We need more support externally and seeing innovation and more effort internally could garner more external support. Chicken-egg.

Thanks!! Seems like they'd have every one who walked get inn lines and show them how to do that? Maybe another idea just say hey, this is how we can keep you connected once you leave and if you move you can update your info here if you want us to stay in contact?

You can do that on the Alumni Association website...or you can PM me with the info and I will get it in for you...sending you a PM.

Giving % for public research universities from alumni average close to 9%. The number of 7% seems high for UNT.at the end of 2013 UNT Advancement was showing 2.7% of alumni gave back. The 7% could include estates! trusts! private foundation! and most importantly corporate gifts. Deferred giving plans through charitable gift trusts, life insurance, gift annuities, and employer matches also could be included. As Treasuer of the foundation I can tell you that gifts in all areas are down from 2014 because of the accounting practices problem. I am told by the Chancellor that this has been resolved for MUCH less than reported and is paid in full. So that should no longer be an excuse. PM me if you have specific questions, and I'll attempt to answer unless it is something not yet released for the public. I can tell you there is a good possibility of a Major gift to baseball. The thing we currently need most is an increase in the student athletic fee to match TSU@San Marcos and UTSA. With theirs being double what our fee is and others in CUSA sometimes being triple what ours is we simply can't compete effectively. If a student can' afford an additional $150 per semester IMHO they don't belong in college. The UNT legal staff screwed up the wording for the original bill or it would have been the same as UTSA & TSU-SM. Contact your state representatives and senators as an amendment to the fee bill in now with another omnibus bill in committee in state legislature . In Denton call office of Myra Crownover and Mike Burroughs. In Lewisville contact Jane Nelson.

• Upvote 3

Getting as many people to join the MGC in theory would allow UNT to try and minimize road P5 games, in theory of course. Increase in attendance could also offset the budget to allow UNT to start avoiding at least in some years the road P5 game. We need more support externally and seeing innovation and more effort internally could garner more external support. Chicken-egg.

Mean Green Club is strictly for raising funds for student athlete scholarships. Ticket sales will help us in the scheduling department.

Edited by UNTFan23

. The thing we currently need most is an increase in the student athletic fee to match TSU@San Marcos and UTSA. With theirs being double what our fee is and others in CUSA sometimes being triple what ours is we simply can't compete effectively. If a student can' afford an additional $150 per semester IMHO they don't belong in college. The UNT legal staff screwed up the wording for the original bill or it would have been the same as UTSA & TSU-SM. Contact your state representatives and senators as an amendment to the fee bill in now with another omnibus bill in committee in state legislature . In Denton call office of Myra Crownover and Mike Burroughs. In Lewisville contact Jane Nelson.

Terrible.

Edited by GreenFlag

It needs to happen, Ryan. I know you and others don't agree with it, but it needs to happen. We are widely known as an inexpensive college and an additional $150 isn't going to change that. We have to at any rationale level try to keep up with at least our peers.

Yeah!!! Debt is already at inconceivable levels and UNT already charges fees for paper and our non-existent union that students didn't want!! Tack on another $150!!

You have got to be a joke, right? Students didn't want? Please discuss where you get all this stuff you post lately? I am thinking you are a certain person that was pretty much run off a while ago and has come back pretending to be someone else. You claim UNT degrees which you won't name, you talk nonsense about Dr. With and her husband and now you claim the new Union was not wanted by the students. Are you not really that fool who went nuts over Apogee and rallied the Denia folks to oppose it's construction at every opportunity. You know, that guy!

Debt is at inconceivable levels? You are aware that only about 40% of UNT students graduate with any debt at all, right? And, If I recall Dr. Smatresk correctly, the average debt for the 40% who have any debt is around $21,000.00. Hardly "inconceivable" numbers, but then that would not fit your agenda, would it? Ain't facts fun?

P.S. My post is not advocating for a raise in the student fee...just to be clear.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 2

It didn't.

SGA didn't want it, the administration did it anyway, and only gave students a vote on when they wanted to pay for it.

That really isn't accurate, especially to make an all encompassing statement that SGA didn't want it. The SGA president at the time was one of the biggest advocates for it. Were there senators here and there that didn't want the fee, I'm sure there were. To suggest this was some big conspiracy from the university administration is silly.

https://news.unt.edu/news-releases/unt-students-approve-union-fee-building-set-open-2015

• Upvote 1