And we have some fans that look for any excuse to blame the general public instead of holding accountable the employees that make hundreds of thousands to perform a job and deliver results.

Yep...it's a real bummer when the haters and complainers get hit right where it hurts. If you call yourself a Mean Green fan and all you do is make excuses for yourself and moan and let "other people do it", then my comments probably do hit a little close to home.

All those who feel free to complain and moan about everything UNT and want to find every excuse "why not" just need to understand others are free to hold those they see as responsible to the fire as much as the haters, complainers kand moaners want to blame the ones they do. You darn right I hold these so-called fans responsible for the part they play. They want to talk BIG TIME, but they want all the effort to become big time placed squarely on the shoulders of others.

Message board...my opinion...don't like them....feel free to use the ignore button. But, if not, be prepared for more if the same. You hold who you want responsible for doing what they can...I will hold those I see sitting on their hands and making excuses just as responsible. These message boards are fun things, right?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I hear ya Kram, but "you hold who you want responsible for doing what they can" is crazy talk. So, if what they are doing is all "they can" we should just tuck tail and go away and be happy with whatever garbage is thrown on the playing surface in front of us? That's absurd.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

We also need exposure not just one time events. Utsa marches in the big parades in sat. Unt has one of the best bands in the land we should be at the Christmas Day parade the Greenville Ave event maybe the pep band on that one.

This is actually a really cool idea. Or St. Patty's day parade. But you'd have to talk to the music department about that one. Good luck...

I also as a human would like to know the humanitarian and community efforts teams coaches or players are doing constantly.

Follow Mean Green Athletics, Football, Softball, Soccer, etc etc on the Twitter. And Eric Capper and other personalities. They talk about that stuff on there. I don't watch TV in general so I don't know about the media coverage that gets.

Thankful for the effort keep trying new things. Lots of people waiting to be connected with and yes it is the university's Job to engage the community.

We also need exposure not just one time events. Utsa marches in the big parades in sat. Unt has one of the best bands in the land we should be at the Christmas Day parade the Greenville Ave event maybe the pep band on that one.

I also as a human would like to know the humanitarian and community efforts teams coaches or players are doing constantly. It would warm me up inside and maybe spawn a ticket purchase if I saw cheerleaders coaches golf team members volleyball players...at school supply drives rehab centers...that is what you see the pros do and it builds a presence around town. You blast this out through weekly communications to the alumni and friends of the mean green nation. You may also get occasional hits from the media. Assemble true calendar now for the next 12 months and inform players of the commitment in advance. Many would love and embrace the action.

GMG

Here's a crazy idea--since we all know that the vast majority of UNT Alumni in DFW don't care about athletics that much, but do love some music and arts, why not combine efforts here? Get the Drum Line to play in DFW, get the One O'Clock Lab Band to play at one of the DFW venues...seriously, you would probably triple the attendance and get some potential "buyers" to actually here about UNT athletics, maybe even for the first time ever. Even if they hate football, tell them that your only chance to watch the Green Brigade perform is at our games.

If its this bad concerning anyone caring about UNT Athletics, and getting 40 people to an event in Dallas and 60 people to an event in Ft. Worth suggests its not exactly good, and that the primary thing that UNT Alumni really care about is music, then bring them music and tell them how the athletic department can help the College of Music get more funding.

If the BOR and the administration will actually allow it to happen, start using the primary windows of the university in music and arts as a way to advertise the athletic programs. I can almost guarantee you that getting the UNT Drum Line or the One O'Clock Lab Band to play at one of these venues would pay dividends immediately to the entire university.

• Downvote 1

I think many people in Music would scoff at the idea...

And that is your main problem here, when it comes to athletics. The music program is the window to the university--its popularity amongst UNT's family is unchallenged, not to be messed with or bothered. Yet, before football games, at halftime of games, and at basketball games, a big part of the music program, The Green Brigade, gets to perform.

If they scoff at even helping the athletic department advertise the idea of getting more people interested in coming to games, that mindset is hurting the entire university, even themselves. At most schools, athletic success leads to higher enrollment, more donations, and to greater alumni involvement. If the BOR and administration are happy with the current level of alumni contributions, donations, and involvement, then there's just nothing we can do about it. But the endowment here is woefully low compared to other peers, as is our overall academic ranking compared to schools we should be compared with in Texas. No matter how popular our College of Music may be, it certainly has proven over the decades that it isn't raising our awareness enough to get more donations to move the needle. But we can see countless examples of schools that do put emphasis on athletics and see the benefits they enjoy from that success.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1