I just left the Dallas Caravan and wanted to share a couple of thoughts. I also took a couple of pictures and will post them here in this thread later.

Overall, it was a nice event. I would put the attendance at around 40+.

They had Dave Barnett as MC and he introduced Rick Villarreal, as well as John Nitardy who is heading up the Mean Green Club.

The coaches present were Danny Mac, Tony Benford, Jalie Mitchell and volleyball coach Andrew Palileo.

RV spoke about some of the good things that happened last sports year and mentioned the SMU win at home being a highlight.

Benford talked about how they were looking forward to this season and how J-Mychael Reese was going to be a difference maker. I talked to him prior to the start and he seems to be really pleased with his two upcoming additions.

Jalie just really impressed me in person, she is young as a head coach but extremely wise beyond her years. She speaks and holds herself in a very impressive manner. She acknowledged that next year would be challenging, but when she recounted the players she is bringing up next season you can't help but be excited.

Mac was vintage Mac...very funny lines, energetic. The guy should be a motivational speaker he really knows how to fire up a crowd. He spoke very highly of Assistant Coach Mike Simmonds who he expects to have a very competitive line next year despite losing 3-4 starters.I

I also thought it was neat to have Georgio there. Dave Barnett said some nice things about his excitement about taking the job. I have to say, Dave is going to be really good.

Overall, a nice venue and well run event that stayed on track time-wise. Hard not to get pumped up about the future when you hear these coaches. Appreciated the AD for putting together a 1st class event for us and hope that in future years more will take advantage of it.

Glad Harry started this one. In deference to Emmitt, I was going to wait to see if Harry would since he was in attendance.

As to the attendance...it was pegged to be at over 80 due to RSVP's and folks attending could see that due to the room set up for so many more folks than attended. The Ft. Worth folks might claim victory over Dallas this year in actual attendance.

But, over half of the people who RSVP'd failed to show! Wow, seriously people? Sure, stuff happens and folks can be caught at the last second with something and not attend, but over half? Nope...that was not due to last second "things" coming up.

Talk about frustrating for coaches, staff and others in attendance to see such happen. Quite shameful in fact for folks to pull such stunts. Venues are secured and food is purchased based on expected and actual RSVP's, and future such events depend upon how current events are supported. If you don't grasp this basic fact of event planning you should.

Dallas should have had 100 plus all in with the RSVP's it had...instead there were about 60 in the room "all in".

So, folks, does the actual support these events get warrant continuing to schedule them? Ask yourself if it isn't just throwing money away and wasting valuable time. There are two events left. One in Plano at Park Place Lexus ( always a great Jordan Case sponsored event) and one in Denton at Apogee. If you support UNT and can make one of these events, please RSVP and show up. This isn't like Facebook where everyone says they will attend some event and then doesn't.

As to the Dallas event. Good location, decent venue good food and lots of it since folks did not show up. Heard pretty much the same from all the coaches who spoke and Harry captured the gist of it, so I will not dwell on that much more. But, I did get a chance to speak with RV about the new UNT golf practice facility now being constructed at the Honors Club in Carrolloton as opposed to the originally set location of the Trophy Club. Folks, this is going to be BIG for our men's and women's golf programs! This facility will allow us to host tournaments including the conference championship with no course costs for UNT. That is BIG! There will be practice areas for the team, workout space and recruiting space. And, the good news on top of all this is that the funds are pretty much in hand thanks to a few donors who stepped up during the "quiet phase" of the fund raising push. I am sure there will be opportunity for others to donate to the facility as well if they wish, but all that is needed to move forward is BOR approval which should come today...hopefully.

Just to add to Harry's comments...well, you knew I would, right? Jalie also mentioned that her staff was now complete with the hire of her final assistant coach who will be announced soon. This young lady new HC of ours has been one busy young lady in her "First 44" for sure. She also told me that she has completed the purchase of a home which takes that little time consuming matter off her plate.

OK...three down...two to go. If possible...please try to attend either the Plano event or Denton event or both. And, please, please, if you RSVP show up barring any unforeseen challenges that may come up which, of course, could not be avoided. I will give credit to UNT alums that Cerebus may not in believing that UNT alums do not need to be led by the hand in knowing what a legitimate "challenge" to attendance might be rather than just skipping it after RSVP'ing.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 5

In Idaho now Boise State and Denton = polar opposites. Albertson's sponsors their stadium. The whole town of nearly a quarter million is draped in orange and blue. Denton is the joke of college football. Artsy fartsy and totally backward from the metroplex. I want to see stats on alumni side attendance. I bet out of Denton is at least double the number from Denton. UNT-Dallas is grossly outdrawing UNT at the latest events I have attended. Jordan Case does a terrific job so I will attend Plano and also Denton , which is just for a laugh!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

In Idaho now Boise State and Denton = polar opposites. Albertson's sponsors their stadium. The whole town of nearly a quarter million is draped in orange and blue. Denton is the joke of college football. Artsy fartsy and totally backward from the metroplex. I want to see stats on alumni side attendance. I bet out of Denton is at least double the number from Denton. UNT-Dallas is grossly outdrawing UNT at the latest events I have attended. Jordan Case does a terrific job so I will attend Plano and also Denton , which is just for a laugh!

Thought you were now supporting SMU?

• Upvote 1

Do we need to rsvp?

$10 if you don't RSVP.

TUESDAY, MAY 26TH - Plano, Texas

Park Place Lexus

6785 Dallas Pkwy. Plano, TX 75024

6 p.m. - 8 p.m. (972) 407 - 7000

Generously hosted by Jordan Case, Park Place Lexus.

Catered by Rudy's BBQ and Milagro Tequila Cocktails.

Please RSVP to meangreenclub@unt.edu or click HERE to RSVP online.

THURSDAY, MAY 28TH - Denton, Texas

Apogee Stadium - HUB Club

1251 S. Bonnie Brae Denton, TX 76207

6 p.m. - 8 p.m. (940) 369 - 7284

Catered by Cartwright's Ranch House.

Please RSVP to meangreenclub@unt.edu or click HERE to RSVP online.

Kram where do we find these dates and times / rsvp? I work in the colony and may be able to make the Plano one depending on the time.

www.meangreensports.com

But...here goes:

Plano-Park Place Lexus - 6-8 pm

Denton - Apogee Club Level 6-8 pm.

Hope to see you at one...or both.

Do we need to rsvp?

Yes...RSVP's are encouraged...RSVP and it is free....just show up and it is supposed to be $10. Do not know if they are actually collecting, but they have a money box out...so...be aware an RSVP.

The Dallas event needs to be at night. I was training 2 blocks from the event and wanted to attend but couldn't due to client commitment. Dallas is a business 101 town lunches last one hour have a social at the tower club in the evening and I bet you get more.

GMG

• Upvote 1

Settle down, gramps. Denton is too busy winning awards such as "Best Small Town in America" or "Best Music Scene in America" to care what the rest of the "keeping up with the Joneses" $30K millionaire metroplex does.

Denton should also win awards for poorest managed city in DFW. One day they will expand Bonnie Brae to larger than a two-lane road. One day ...

• Upvote 3

It needs to be repaved but expanded? Nah.

Article about the city trying to acquire land to expand/move Bonnie Brae.

http://www.dentonrc.com/local-news/local-news-headlines/20130331-road-project-takes-a-different-turn.ece

News article about how traffic will be handled on Bonnie Brae as a result of the stadium being built.

http://www.dentonrc.com/local-news/local-news-headlines/20111231-denia-fights-to-preserve-pastoral-charm.ece

Lots of traffic on Bonnie Brae that calls for four lanes.

http://www.dentonrc.com/local-news/education/higher-education-headlines/20110325-citys-block-alters-unts-game-plan.ece

Here's a site about the widening project (made in Flash??!!??). The project is still in the design phase.

http://www.bonniebraestreet.com/

• Upvote 2

Yeah, if Boise was like Denton, instead of orange and blue you'd find ... ummm ... uhhh ... who are the other shows in town in Idaho again? Wait, what else is there to do in Idaho? Give me Denton.

The Dallas event needs to be at night. I was training 2 blocks from the event and wanted to attend but couldn't due to client commitment. Dallas is a business 101 town lunches last one hour have a social at the tower club in the evening and I bet you get more.

GMG

They used to do it at night, but not that many people showed up. Trying something new.

GMG

Even with the smaller crowd this year it was better attended than last year's evening event. It is hard to say what will get folks out, so various options are being tried. After seeing poor turnouts year after year at most every venue and time (other than Plano) it is hard to say what might work.

But, Texas Tech got over 2500 for an lunchtime event in Dallas and Okie State got much the same for an evening event. Go figure. UNT has more grads in Dallas than both these schools combined.

• Upvote 1

Thankful for the effort keep trying new things. Lots of people waiting to be connected with and yes it is the university's Job to engage the community.

We also need exposure not just one time events. Utsa marches in the big parades in sat. Unt has one of the best bands in the land we should be at the Christmas Day parade the Greenville Ave event maybe the pep band on that one.

I also as a human would like to know the humanitarian and community efforts teams coaches or players are doing constantly. It would warm me up inside and maybe spawn a ticket purchase if I saw cheerleaders coaches golf team members volleyball players...at school supply drives rehab centers...that is what you see the pros do and it builds a presence around town. You blast this out through weekly communications to the alumni and friends of the mean green nation. You may also get occasional hits from the media. Assemble true calendar now for the next 12 months and inform players of the commitment in advance. Many would love and embrace the action.

GMG

• Upvote 1

Thankful for the effort keep trying new things. Lots of people waiting to be connected with and yes it is the university's Job to engage the community.

We also need exposure not just one time events. Utsa marches in the big parades in sat. Unt has one of the best bands in the land we should be at the Christmas Day parade the Greenville Ave event maybe the pep band on that one.

I also as a human would like to know the humanitarian and community efforts teams coaches or players are doing constantly. It would warm me up inside and maybe spawn a ticket purchase if I saw cheerleaders coaches golf team members volleyball players...at school supply drives rehab centers...that is what you see the pros do and it builds a presence around town. You blast this out through weekly communications to the alumni and friends of the mean green nation. You may also get occasional hits from the media. Assemble true calendar now for the next 12 months and inform players of the commitment in advance. Many would love and embrace the action.

GMG

RV reported during the Dallas stop that UNT athletes provided (I believe he said) over 3000 hours of community service this last year. That isn't bad in my book. But, what we need to do is to get the media to take notice. The problem, to me, is not that UNT is not doing these things...it is the fact that UNT does not "toot its own horn" nearly enough. Not nearly enough. But, the good news is that this has already started to change. Pres. Smatresk has made it one of his priorities to "get the word out" about UNT and the results are already beginning to be seen. Hopefully, this trend will continue and we will stop being the area's "best kept secret".

The Dallas stop has been in bad locations as well. Should have it in the Four Corners area. Tons of parking and ease of access. Inside of the Cotton Bowl, a hotel on 635, inside of a concert venue and other such locations is just begging for bad attendance.

Yep...we can always find some reason to not attend. Wrong time, wrong place, didn't know, don't like X Coach, don't like the AD, Coach Mac always complains about attendance, too far, not enough parking, bad weather, it was competing against X other more exciting event, and on and on.

Fact remains....we have more fans who don't care and look for excuses than we have fans who make it a priority to support the program. Is what it is...only at North Texas!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Yep...we can always find some reason to not attend. Wrong time, wrong place, didn't know, don't like X Coach, don't like the AD, Coach Mac always complains about attendance, too far, not enough parking, bad weather, it was competing against X other more exciting event, and on and on.

Fact remains....we have more fans who don't care and look for excuses than we have fans who make it a priority to support the program. Is what it is...only at North Texas!

And we have some fans that look for any excuse to blame the general public instead of holding accountable the employees that make hundreds of thousands to perform a job and deliver results.

• Upvote 3