Big news — DaMarcus Smith eligible

Harry

“He is way behind Andrew McNulty, obviously,” McCarney said of Smith.

Mac is making it harder and harder for me to defend him. If he is OBVIOUSLY way behind McNulty why would you bring him in??

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I really want to be excited, but with our recent history of transfers I'm hesitant.

He's already here, and he's eligible now.

Get ready Mr. McNulty, your grip on the starting position has already begun to slip. Practice harder so you can get better, so you can actually provide some sort of challenge to Mr. Smith this Fall.

• Upvote 2

If Dan McCarney starts McNulty in one game this season he should be kicking rocks immediately following the finale of what will almost certainly be a losing season.

Damarcus Smith will be a fine CUSA level QB. He has all the tools to be really good and he is now eligible to showcase his talents. This is and will probably be the most exciting news of the offseason. GMG

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I don't think so. I think Mac is feeling a little pressure and winning is what he's paid to do. Hopefully ego doesn't prevail in the fall because it sure isn't going to be talent coming from AM. Possibly the best QB UNT has had in quite some time just became eligible, this is exciting news.

• Upvote 1

He is way behind Andrew McNulty, obviously, McCarney said of Smith.

Mac is making it harder and harder for me to defend him. If he is OBVIOUSLY way behind McNulty why would you bring him in??

I'm not Mac's biggest fan, but in his defense he signed Damarcus thinking he would be eligible in January. Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

"Those struggles were a key reason the Mean Green struggled in a 4-8 campaign.

UNT scored 21 or fewer points in seven games last season, when the Mean Green finished 4-8. UNT won just one of those games."

I can't remember Brett, what was our record last season?

Details are sketchy and sources currently unavailable; we will continue to dig through the 4-8 season to find what our W-L record was.

Todd Dodge.

• Upvote 1

This is good news but I feel the only chance he had to be a day 1 starter depended on him being eligible for spring.

I agree with this. But commenting on the main subject matter of this thread, I don't feel very celebratory about a QB candidate who has been struggling with grades. Call me provincial, but I feel that the QB needs to be (if at all possible) the smartest guy on the field.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I agree with this. But commenting on the main subject matter of this thread, I don't feel very celebratory about a QB candidate who has been struggling with grades. Call me provincial, but I feel that the QB needs to be (if at all possible) the smartest guy on the field.

I don't care if my QB can't explain theoretical physics or knows anything about the Peloponnesian Wars.

I feel the QB needs to be (if at all possible) the football-smartest guy on the field.

Let's not forget, Vince Young scored a 6 on the Wonderlic.

• Upvote 2

Right now I'm pretty sure you could bring a 21-year-old Joe Montana into the mix and McNulty still gets the starting job. Anything else would be an admission of error on the part of the national championship winner from Florida. If there's anything this guy doesn't do, it's veer from the course in any way, shape or form.

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2