College Football Attendance Hits Worst Average Since 2003

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12886474/major-college-football-attendance-hits-worst-average-2003

"UAB, which cut its football program but is considering reinstating it in the coming weeks, had the second-biggest rise, jumping from 10,548 fans per game to 21,841."

Hosting two in-state schools to start the year helped tremendously.

27k for Troy

29k for Alabama A&M

16k for FIU

20k for UNT

9k for LaTech then rumor breaks about dropping football,

28k for then #18 Marshall.

• Upvote 1

The stadium was cool to see a game in just because of historic value, but 20,000 for the UNT game just got swallowed up in there.

Absolutely zero atmosphere.

It was a lot like when we played in the Cotton Bowl years back and called it our home stadium.

You could say that UNT was dropping football, and there wouldn't be more than 500 more to see it from the little "d" community. The investment in the stadium and Mean Green Village is the ONLY thing that keeps it from being dropped. If that ever happens in my lifetime I guaranteeI would never set foot on campus again!

• Upvote 3

You could say that UNT was dropping football, and there wouldn't be more than 500 more to see it from the little "d" community. The investment in the stadium and Mean Green Village is the ONLY thing that keeps it from being dropped. If that ever happens in my lifetime I guaranteeI would never set foot on campus again!

But couldn't the university say that Apogee will be used for graduations, concerts, high school games, soccer, etc...? And the MG Village could be used for other music or arts, I'd assume, instead of football and other sports.

It does bring up a good question, though. What would the reaction be if we did drop football like UAB is doing? What would the reaction be from the student body? Alumni? Faculty? Denton? DFW media? If the answer to these groups is probably wouldn't care or definitely wouldn't care, its always going to be a possibility that UNT Football could get dropped.

And I agree completely with your last part--I'd never set foot on the campus again if we dropped football below the G5 level, even though I realize that we are in the extreme minority on this position.