Best in Texas: Ranking the top college quarterback units in the state

I don't think McNulty is better than Bogenshultz at UTSA or Leftwich at UTEP, but it is based on the entire QB roster, so maybe we somehow have a better grade, since we have about 50 QBs on our roster.

I have us beating one or both of these two teams to get to 3 or 4 wins this year, along with SMU and Portland State. Praying that happens--if we lose that opener in Dallas, we could easily be looking at 2 wins or less this season. Below average QB play, a new OL, and a small Defensive front seven don't add up to a bowl season. If we somehow get to 6 wins this year, it'll be Mac's best job as a coach since he's been here, for sure, similar to getting 5 wins in that first season here.

• Upvote 2

Big difference in it being his first season here and his 5th season. The expectations going into his first season are exact in comparison to this season, his 5th. That is a monumental problem, but it's ok because there are never any real expectations here at good ole North Texas. Why even keep a football team if it's never going to be taken serious.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Big difference in it being his first season here and his 5th season. The expectations going into his first season are exact in comparison to this season, his 5th. That is a monumental problem, but it's ok because there are never any real expectations here at good ole North Texas. Why even keep a football team if it's never going to be taken serious.

You can't say you weren't warned...

I was warned by the internal apathy that floods over into the alum base. I just don't get why alum sit back and let it happen. It seems like the alum that are "in the know" will make literally any excuse to smooth out the wrinkles and ensure that their access and their donor-ship stays relevant in the eyes of the athletic department. The alum that aren't "in the know" that want to contribute and that want to be passionate are kept at arms length and ignored. For the ones that have been around since the early 00's, is this how RV operates his department? Or is there something or someone else keeping this athletic department at status quo?

• Downvote 3

I was warned by the internal apathy that floods over into the alum base. I just don't get why alum sit back and let it happen. It seems like the alum that are "in the know" will make literally any excuse to smooth out the wrinkles and ensure that their access and their donor-ship stays relevant in the eyes of the athletic department. The alum that aren't "in the know" that want to contribute and that want to be passionate are kept at arms length and ignored. For the ones that have been around since the early 00's, is this how RV operates his department? Or is there something or someone else keeping this athletic department at status quo?

The BOR tells RV that his top priority is stay within budget without complaining. So he does this. The few big donors we have to athletics get to know RV first-hand, see that he is a great guy to BS with, and like having him around. So they tell the BOR that RV is a great guy, that tailgating is just the best thing of all time in the history of UNT athletics, and that they will keep giving as long as he is the AD.

And the circle of life continues within UNT athletics...and there is nothing you can do about it, except to either accept it and still watch the team because they are your team or not accept it and walk away. You can figure out what most UNT alumni and students typically choose and have chosen for decades--yet nothing ever changes, no matter the BOR, no matter the President, and no matter the AD.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

that tailgating is just the best thing of all time in the history of UNT athletics

True story: Until Apogee opened, and somebody sold them on an idea, many of the people of whom you speak adamantly refused to tailgate at all. Now they use it as a tool to invite guests and solicit donations. And I might say, it's been pretty successful.

True story: Until Apogee opened, and somebody sold them on an idea, many of the people of whom you speak adamantly refused to tailgate at all. Now they use it as a tool to invite guests and solicit donations. And I might say, it's been pretty successful.

Oh, I think tailgating is great--sorry if I made it out to be otherwise. I just don't think an AD should get praise for putting this in place years ago just because the previous clowns never tried to get it going. We play football in Texas--and didn't have tailgating. That's about as wise as having a festival and not selling popcorn or candy.

The craziest part of the tailgating thing, at least to me, is that there seems to be such a large contingent that are just perfectly fine with RV as our AD solely because this is available before our home games.

There isn't a single other FBS university in this region that runs their athletic department like we do--maybe it is for the best, that over time, it will be proven to be the best way to have run an athletic department. But I sure wish winning was more important here in revenue sports than staying in budget or having a great tailgating experience. But that's not how it is here...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The BOR tells RV that his top priority is stay within budget without complaining. So he does this. The few big donors we have to athletics get to know RV first-hand, see that he is a great guy to BS with, and like having him around. So they tell the BOR that RV is a great guy, that tailgating is just the best thing of all time in the history of UNT athletics, and that they will keep giving as long as he is the AD.

And the circle of life continues within UNT athletics...and there is nothing you can do about it, except to either accept it and still watch the team because they are your team or not accept it and walk away. You can figure out what most UNT alumni and students typically choose and have chosen for decades--yet nothing ever changes, no matter the BOR, no matter the President, and no matter the AD.

Good post 90! Er, um, I mean Jim. ?

Unbiased opinion, I'd take Mcnulty over Leftwich, at least for this season. Semi-biased opinion, I'd take UTSA's grad transfer Russell Bellomy over Mcnulty. He's 6'3", strong-armed and a legitimate dual-threat guy. I think he'll really benefit from the move to CUSA. Of course he was my high school QB.

Wait! I think you might be on to something here. certainly kindred souls if not actually one in the same.

At least for how the athletic department is run, we are. I really don't mean to offend anyone on this, but in 14 years the big three revenue sports have a combined record of 464-553, for a winning percentage of .456. That's two winning seasons in women's hoops out of 14 seasons, 7 winning seasons in men's hoops out of 14, and 4 winning seasons out of 14 in football. Not to mention, he has hired Shanice Stephens, Mike Petersen, Todd Dodge, and Tony Benford. And if Dan McCarney cannot turn it back around, he will get added to the list, since RV extended him 5 seasons after one good season got posted.

Look, I am sure he is a great guy to pal around with. He's been nothing but nice and sweet when I have talked with him very briefly. And he knows that things have gone bad around here, w-l wise, for the three big sports. And tailgating has been a monster success in every measure imaginable. But he has a job here because he runs the department within the budgetary restraints given to him, which is very commendable. I just don't want my athletic department run by how well we stay in budget, not by success on the field or court in revenue sports. And that's why I don't blame him for the ills of this place--it goes much higher up and much deeper than Rick Villareal. If the BOR and administration don't want to loosen the purse straps for funding, that's not on the AD at all. He can only run the department with what he is given and the directives from above. I just don't want people to think getting rid of RV is gonna change anything--because it won't. We don't care enough about athletics here to ever be able to sustain a winning program that can gain traction in the minds of the UNT Family. The closest we came was under Johnny Jones, which got us two NCAA berths as 15 seeds and zero other postseason berths, which made LSU so amazed that someone could even pull that off here that they called him home. We have one WNIT berth under his watch, in 2002, and zero NCAA berths in womens hoops. And we have 5 bowl ebrths, 4 of which were in his first 4 years as the SBC Champs, with exactly one winning season since then that led to a good bowl win in Dallas.

I get the budget excuse, but there are several programs that have success with a small or manipulated budget. A coaching staff that could recruit worth a damn would be a really good place to start. We throw out dream pipe offers on the rare occasion and after that we go after players with minimal offers or no offers. We are at the point that if smu even thinks about offering a player that we are interested in or have offered given player unhesitantly puts us on the back burner. We are getting our faces kicked in by a tiny private school that just went 1-11 AND we just beat 43-6. This is a significant problem that hasn't been really brought to the forefront. We can't recruit for shit and it's far too obvious.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You know when tailgating keeps getting mentioned as a big achievement , there are issues. Even though I am not big on tailgating, I thinks it greatly adds to the atmosphere. However, I don't see the decision of allowing or enhancing tailgating, something that is done almost universally at colleges, as a major accomplishment for an AD.

• Upvote 1

You know when tailgating keeps getting mentioned as a big achievement , there are issues. Even though I am not big on tailgating, I thinks it greatly adds to the atmosphere. However, I don't see the decision of allowing or enhancing tailgating, something that is done almost universally at colleges, as a major accomplishment for an AD.

It's not a big deal and is something that should have happened decades ago, if not longer. The pro-RV people are going to continue to point that out as some kind of monumental accomplishment and that in it's own right is a joke. GMG