MGB: UNT women add yet another transfer

Rebuilds are not usually a one year deal. You simply cannot pass up the talent of these players signed. Anyone who actually took the time to see last year's team play, and given who was lost through graduation and now a tragic event, knew this next season was going to be tough...very tough. Jalie is doing exactly what she needs to be doing to rebuild this program as fast as possible. Jalie is going to need some time. But, I hope some more folks will come out and watch and support this team next season. I think it might just surprise a few folks in a positive way.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

I am giving to girls basketball no doubt, Jalie is exactly what I want in a HC for the following sports, ALL OF THEM.... Young, active on social media, and having a great presence about her. GMG

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Pt his is how you win. It's that simple. Once Jalie gets the record with more wins she will be able to land the high school talent. She can flat out recruit and that is extremely important these days.

If I counted correctly, we only have 3 forwards on the team that will be available for next season.... i think there are 8 total players that will be available.

If we only have 8 players, I doubt we improve our record over last year. Hopefully injuries don't get us or we may not be able to field a team.

I don't know how anyone has any complaints. She's taking P5 Talent FROM THE AREA and bringing them back home. If this was happening in football people would be spouting out the ass how happy they are. We'll see what she can do with the little she has. Why wouldn't you invest in the future? At least she has learned that it's a building process and that it's about long-term success not pleasing everybody and doing it now.

• Upvote 2

If this was happening in football

That's kind of a goofy comparison. Football allows you to stockpile 85 scholarship players on the roster, but women's basketball only allows 15. And if I'm not mistaken, Petersen left behind a roster short of that full allotment.

I don't really have a huge problem with what Jalie's doing. But it's fair to observe that she is throwing next season under the bus. And it is fair to observe that this is nothing like bringing in 5 transfers in football.

That's kind of a goofy comparison. Football allows you to stockpile 85 scholarship players on the roster, but women's basketball only allows 15. And if I'm not mistaken, Petersen left behind a roster short of that full allotment.

I don't really have a huge problem with what Jalie's doing. But it's fair to observe that she is throwing next season under the bus. And it is fair to observe that this is nothing like bringing in 5 transfers in football.

I'm thinking that, even with the challenges she's inheriting, she'll still be more successful than 5-wins. I don't know what would qualify as a 'throw-away' season, but improvement will hopefully be seen... then 2016-17 will hopefully be a breakout year.

I'm thinking that, even with the challenges she's inheriting, she'll still be more successful than 5-wins. I don't know what would qualify as a 'throw-away' season, but improvement will hopefully be seen...

Perhaps. But it will not come as a result of these personnel decisions, but rather in spite of them.

Agree. I think that's a gamble Jalie is willing to take... and it's a pretty safe one.

But her gamble is not looking for a payoff of 8-10 wins next year. I don't think she cares about that. She's looking for a payoff of 15+ wins in 2016-17 and competing for the conference championship the following year. And she's willing to have a weak 2015-16 season to do that.

I don't know how anyone has any complaints. She's taking P5 Talent FROM THE AREA and bringing them back home. If this was happening in football people would be spouting out the ass how happy they are. We'll see what she can do with the little she has. Why wouldn't you invest in the future? At least she has learned that it's a building process and that it's about long-term success not pleasing everybody and doing it now.

Exactly this! Well said.

But her gamble is not looking for a payoff of 8-10 wins next year. I don't think she cares about that. She's looking for a payoff of 15+ wins in 2016-17 and competing for the conference championship the following year. And she's willing to have a weak 2015-16 season to do that.

Right. But an 8-10 win season next year (although poor) is still an improvement. If she can realize the breakthrough in 2016-17 and beyond, the move pays off. Bringing in these transfers in to sit a year is really all she can do anyway, right? Didn't Peterson sign a full class in February?

I don't think anyone should expect anything better than 5-10 wins from 2015-16 anyway unless the class Peterson just signed is awesome... and if it is, Jalie will probably get more out of them than Peterson would anyway.

Perhaps. But it will not come as a result of these personnel decisions, but rather in spite of them.

I don't agree. Pete left her in this predicament. The timing leaves her basically no high school player and few Juco options. So I see no way for her to fix things personnel wise this year. I do agree that she will get more out of what we have though.

If you have another option I am missing please let me know.

I don't agree. Pete left her in this predicament. The timing leaves her basically no high school player and few Juco options. So I see no way for her to fix things personnel wise this year. I do agree that she will get more out of what we have though.

If you have another option I am missing please let me know.

I think he's saying that if we improve in 2015-16, it's not going to be because we picked up all of these transfers. It will be in spite of them... meaning, Jalie is doing better with what she has by simply being a better coach.

The immediate thoughts for me in a football comparison are Trice, Anthony Wallace, Reggie Pegram situations. Highly rated contributors from P5 schools people were/are thrilled to have. They are better gambles on average then JUCO A or JUCO B. I would say the rate of success in filling a need is higher, no? I understand the HUGE numerical discrepancy, but it's the philosophical piece that needs some work in all of our sports.

Edited by Caw Caw
  • Upvote 1