'15 ATH Kevin Johnson (Waskom)

5'10" 170 lb athlete from Waskom, Texas. Rushed for 1985 yards and 21 touchdowns. We have offered, as has SMU. He originally signed with Tyler Junior College, but apparently he has gotten his test scores up to FBS eligibility standards. Still, it appears the offer wouldn't have been extended if the coaching staff felt all of our JUCOs and/or high school kids were in position to make it in. Should be interesting to see things play out here.

Highlights:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1082487/kevin-johnson

http://247sports.com/Player/Kevin-Johnson-77741

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2

Dang, this kid is fluid and agile. I like his patience and he's got an awesome second gear when needed. Explodes through the hole.

I'm sure the knock on him is 170lbs. Can he get up to 180 and keep his explosiveness (see: 4.18 shuttle)? Do we need him to get bigger? He'd be a ST menace.

It was really cool watching his video go from freshman to senior year and watch his running style develop.

Could've been a mega-superstar-instant-starter-1st-team-all-conference player here. Enjoy sitting on the bench for 5 years at SMU, loser.

That's what we're supposed to say when this happens, right?

Lol. Pretty good for your first try.

I have been saying that I don't see us ever winning a head-to-head recruiting battle against SMU as long as it's Mccarney and Morris at the respective helms. I was thinking this would be a good chance to prove me wrong, with us having been on Johnson for a while and offering him at RB while SMU offered at CB. The fact that they got him is not a good indication that we'll be able to do well against them going forward, unfortunately.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The fact that they got him is not a good indication that we'll be able to do well against them going forward, unfortunately.

Especially since they got him at DB. Great offensive talent.

But hey, at least he called them a small school.

One kid from East Texas commits to SMU and the sky is falling. Good Lord! Isn't it obvious that he would have had a tough time with our academics, so he went to the little school in Dallas. He will regret this after we beat their ass 4 or 5 years in a row.

So, where did our extra scholarship come from?

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Chad Morris use to coach at Elysian Fields which is Waskom's big rival. I'm sure he pulled the East Texas card, and signed him.

We almost assuredly had Tommy Perry on him, as we offered Johnson at RB and Perry is both our RB coach and from East Texas. I think this was more a case of Morris pulling the good-at-recruiting card.

Since we evidently don't still have a full class, here's hoping for another late qualifier to emerge before August.

This is the pressing point. Where would that scholarship have come from? Emmitt said he asked Mccarney at the signing day dinner thing about Cain and Mccarney said we had used all of our spots for the class. So has something changed since then.
  • Upvote 2

One kid from East Texas commits to SMU and the sky is falling.

It's not like this one event is the only evidence for cause for concern. It's been building ever since Morris was hired. We were able to not have to worry about SMU out in East Texas when they had Jones, and we got some really good players out there, none of which had SMU offers (Goree, Wilson, Ivery, Rutherford, etc). Now they have a coach who is about 20 times more relentless on the trail and good at recruiting, and has a background in East Texas. That's where the concern comes from.

He would've been the only running back in our class, and while we as UNT fans know we have talented backs, to someone looking at the situation from the outside our backfield is not one that looks exceptionally hard to crack as a recruit. Our top 2 backs had 224 and 589 rushing yards last year, and not much from the other guys. Not like we're returning three 500+ yard rushers. But it is true that we aren't particularly hurting at RB by not getting Johnson.

• Upvote 1

We almost assuredly had Tommy Perry on him, as we offered Johnson at RB and Perry is both our RB coach and from East Texas. I think this was more a case of Morris pulling the good-at-recruiting card.

This is the pressing point. Where would that scholarship have come from? Emmitt said he asked Mccarney at the signing day dinner thing about Cain and Mccarney said we had used all of our spots for the class. So has something changed since then.

Did any of our HS Seniors double-sign with a JUCO?

Otherwise,

Grindle

Thompson

Smith

Are those the only 3 that are not here yet? Looking like one of them will not be making it to campus. Please, please, please don't be Smith.

Did any of our HS Seniors double-sign with a JUCO?

Otherwise,

Grindle

Thompson

Smith

Are those the only 3 that are not here yet? Looking like one of them will not be making it to campus. Please, please, please don't be Smith.

Also Jareid Combs. I don't believe any of the high school signees double signed, but I believe this is around the time O'Keeron Rutherford and Fonzale Davis double signed last year. Hard to really pinpoint who, at this point.
  • Upvote 1

Also Jareid Combs. I don't believe any of the high school signees double signed, but I believe this is around the time O'Keeron Rutherford and Fonzale Davis double signed last year. Hard to really pinpoint who, at this point.

Good call on Davis. Maybe it is one of the High Schoolers. I suppose we wont find out for sure until the end of the school year.

McCarney just rewarded his usual number of walk-ons ships, why does anyone think that ships were or now at the limit? I still wonder why the jc linebacker Cain was not signed, obviously there were spots available or would have been soon.

Just like I told you last time, the scholarships awarded this spring had nothing to do with how many scholarship spots we had available for the class. We had 80 scholarship players by our count before the walkons were awarded scholarships. They only factored into the 85 total scholarship limit per team. Not the 25 initial counters for the 2015 class. Johnson would've counted towards the 2015 class. We were not at the scholarship limit as a team, but we were at the scholarship limit for the class.

Like I also said last time, it was pretty obvious with Cain that we got multiple commitments from the time his visit ended until he "committed" on signing day. The spots filled up and he waited too long. You don't have to believe me, but it was pretty obvious what happened there.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1