Report: C-USA won't keep UAB without football

I'm a MWC guy, for sure, but only because it is playing teams way above what CUSA offers. If TCU could go out west and turn it into a huge success, I think we could, as well. Boise, AFA, SDSU, Fresno State, Nevada, and Colorado State are better than any CUSA opponent, including the Texas teams and La Tech. The MWC is a huge stepup from CUSA, in my opinion. Meanwhile, I think that the MAC and CUSA are equals. The SBC is below them, while the AAC and MWC are above them.

And, as far as being in the MWC, if it was with UTEP, UTSA, RIce, and ourselves, I think we would immediately have stepped up big time. But what I truthfully expect to happen is that the unreasonable expenses related to AAC travel will catch up to that league, especially when UConn and Cincy eventually leave for P5 pastures, is that the MWC will target UH, SMU, UTEP, and UTSA to go west.

• Upvote 3

If TCU could go out west and turn it into a huge success, I think we could, as well.

Disagree. We're talking about a school that made a full commitment to athletics vs. a school that won't bother to get rid of a bad basketball coach until it's a minimal financial impact or an offensive coordinator that specializes in QBs, but can't seem to find a QB.

If TCU could go out west and turn it into a huge success, I think we could, as well.

Disagree. We're talking about a school that made a full commitment to athletics vs. a school that won't bother to get rid of a bad basketball coach until it's a minimal financial impact or an offensive coordinator that specializes in QBs, but can't seem to find a QB.

TCU had already been WAC co-champion twice (when that meant something including 1 year prior to the MWC split) and CUSA co-champ once before moving to the MWC.

• Upvote 3

TCU made a commitment to be elite in athletics. UNT hasn't and probably won't make a commitment towards elite athletics. Hell, TCU was almost the National Champions in football last year minus a severe boning at the end Of the season.

Anyway, sadly, UAB cut football and they have to go. They'd kick us out if we did the same.

I really like the idea of going hard after NIU. Wish we could drop FIU.

If you had ever been on campus at FIU you would see just how utterly stupid that remark truly is. Light years ahead of UNT in beautiful Miami on the Florida Gold Coast. Twice as big with student fees that support the program unlike the paltry $7. increase that UNT lauded its dumb ass students for passing. UTSA & TX STATE @ San Marcos have double the UNT student fee. Wonder why we can't compete?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

If you had ever been on campus at FIU you would see just how utterly stupid that remark truly is. Light years ahead of UNT in beautiful Miami on the Florida Gold Coast. Twice as big with student fees that support the program unlike the paltry $7. increase that UNT lauded its dumb ass students for passing. UTSA & TX STATE @ San Marcos have double the UNT student fee. Wonder why we can't compete?

I don't care about FIU's campus. At all. What I care about is football games with a hundred people in the stands. Losing to FCS schools. Playing in a glorified soccer stadium with no proper media booth. They have shown even less of a commitment to FBS athletics than we have, something I thought was near impossible. They belong in the Sun Belt at best.

• Upvote 1

Sorry, Miami is awful. That has nothing to do with the university or the beaches either. Florida is a great state. Just not Miami. But you are right, UNT needs to spend money if it wants to be a better program.

Totally disagree that mwc is light years aheAd. In fact cusa is the best right now. Keep growing it.

Mwc has been declining but does have its one big horse. Niu is not going anywhere.

AAC is perceived as solid but is on par with cusa maybe a step lower. We will see what they bring this year.

The best thing would be to create a brand new league of natural rivals Smu Unt rice Houston Utep New Mexico State utsa Texas state Louisiana la tech arky st Memphis.

When Houston leaves for the 12 which I predict go get southern miss. Not interested in Tulsa and Tulane's small fan bases.

GMG

with student fees that support the program unlike the paltry $7... Wonder why we can't compete?

Student fees are so small time. The onus of supporting an athletic department should be on alumni, conference media revenue, ticket revenue and apparel/licensing. How much was the student fee when DallasGreen was in school?

Schools that don't have a student athletic fee:

Texas

Oklahoma

Kansas State

Alabama

Arkansas

Kentucky

LSU

Missouri

Texas A&M

Nebraska

Penn State

Ohio State

Michigan

Purdue

BYU

Central Michigan

Western Michigan

Louisiana - Lafayette

Hawaii

Louisiana Tech

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Student fees are so small time. The onus of supporting an athletic department should be on alumni, conference media revenue, ticket revenue and apparel/licensing. How much was the student fee when DallasGreen was in school?

Texas

Oklahoma

Kansas State

Alabama

Arkansas

Kentucky

LSU

Missouri

Texas A&M

Nebraska

Penn State

Ohio State

Michigan

Purdue

BYU

Central Michigan

Western Michigan

Louisiana - Lafayette

Hawaii

Louisiana Tech

So roughly 15% of FBS programs don't have student fees? If so, then why would we not have a student fee and take full advantage of trying to get a leg up. Over half of those programs you just named are blue bloods and a student fee to them is absolute dirt money. A doubled student fee at UNT could do a lot for our athletic department b/c alum that majored in saxophone jazz in college doesn't have the budget or could care less to budget a donation to the UNT athletic program. Apples and oranges, and we're whichever is the poorest out of the 2. We need all the dimes and nickels we can get funneled into this program and any other opinion is flat out ignorance or stubborn stupidity.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I hate the Sun Belt. I hate everything about the Sun Belt. I hate every school that has been, or is, associated with the Sun Belt (with the exception of dear old UNT). Oh! Did I mention that I hate the Sun Belt?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Texas

Oklahoma

Kansas State

Alabama

Arkansas

Kentucky

LSU

Missouri

Texas A&M

Nebraska

Penn State

Ohio State

Michigan

Purdue

BYU

Central Michigan

Western Michigan

Louisiana - Lafayette

Hawaii

Louisiana Tech

This is a complete joke--the teams you listed at the top of the list are giants in the P5 world or are funded by a national following in BYU. What else are they gonna support in Hawaii, surfing? Of course they get strong commitment from the local fanbase and alumni. You can argue about the Michigna schools, I suppose, but who cares what they do? If the state allows a fee that is upwards of $20/hr and other state schools that you are competing with like UTSA, Texas State, and UTEP charge the full amount, yet you charge a third of it, that is like fighting one handed.

We don't charge as much because we simply don't want to. It is not in line with being a top "value" school.

If the students in El Paso can carry this heavy "burden" then students in Denton can too. And tax w/o representation? It's a fee that is voluntarily being paid by students who on their own admission want to attend college. Citizens don't voluntarily pay taxes. Good try, but try again.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

In what other aspect of life would this student fee in which everyone is so enamored not be a unilaterally imposed tax without representation?

It is patently unfair and not right to demand the standards that some of our alumni do, then put the burden on the backs of students.

Does that not apply to any student organization that gets funding?

• Upvote 1

If the students in El Paso can carry this heavy "burden" then students in Denton can too. And tax w/o representation? It's a fee that is voluntarily being paid by students who on their own admission want to attend college. Citizens don't voluntarily pay taxes. Good try, but try again.

If the citizens in Canada can carry the heavy burden of universal health care, then we can here in Denton too. This sports thing is our own little lobby. It is upon us to fund it if we wish it to ascend to higher standards.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

In what other aspect of life would this student fee in which everyone is so enamored not be a unilaterally imposed tax without representation?

It is patently unfair and not right to demand the standards that some of our alumni do, then put the burden on the backs of students.

Then go to UTA or UTD, schools without FBS football that you don't have to pay for. If kids and parents pay for this fee in San Antonio, San Marcos, El Paso, and Beaumont, it shouldn't be too big of a deal to pay it in Denton.

But it doesn't matter--it will never get increased here. The "tax w/o representation" won't have to get argued on in Denton--the protest and outcry from the university's family would be severe. It already got loud enough just because we built a new football stadium that was actually voted on by the students. Our leadership actually let the fee get sunsetted and have kept it lower than other schools just to appease the folks in the UNT Family. And probably that will be rewarded, honestly, when the G5s are the full equivalent of FCS schools in the upcoming years and the leadership will get to give everyone on this site a very loud, "I told you so" by not funding athletics anywhere close to other universites our size and in this area of the country.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm not sure I see the parallel. The students voted in the athletic fee with the understanding that it could be regularly raised. When students and their parents choose whether or not to attend UNT, they are capable of informing themselves about the different student fees, and choosing to go elsewhere if they don't like it.