Report: C-USA won't keep UAB without football

"UAB and Southern Mississippi are the only remaining C-USA charter members that have never left."

I wonder how this leaves Southern Miss feeling? They always wanted to "take it to the next level". I guess having winning seasons 14 years in a row and going bowling 10 out of 11 seasons gets you fired there (Jeff Bowers). Meanwhile, the rest of Conference USA, past and present, has passed them by. But its crazy to think there will only be one remaining charter member left.

"UAB and Southern Mississippi are the only remaining C-USA charter members that have never left."

I wonder how this leaves Southern Miss feeling? They always wanted to "take it to the next level". I guess having winning seasons 14 years in a row and going bowling 10 out of 11 seasons gets you fired there (Jeff Bowers). Meanwhile, the rest of Conference USA, past and present, has passed them by. But its crazy to think there will only be one remaining charter member left.

Charlotte is also a charter member; they just haven't been continuous. And I'd have a hard time saying that the present members of C-USA have all passed USM by.

Given that USM has won 4 games and finished dead last in C-USA the last two seasons, I would say that current members have passed them by, at least temporarily.

Would you say UAB has passed them by? Charlotte?

FIU and UTEP were both equally bad last year, so "dead last" only works if you include ties in that.

Considering USM beat us in football this year, I'd have a tough time saying we passed them by.

They're solid in baseball and women's hoops. How have we done in those sports this year?

Not to mention, they had one of the better men's hoops teams in the conference last year. This year was tough for them, but I generally see "passing someone by" as more than a one-year event.

Actually, I'd take three tams from the SBC to replace UAB: Arkansas State, ULL, and Georgia Southern. I would then see how that goes from a competitive standpoint. The East would have ODU, Marshall, WKU, MUTS, FIU, FAU, Charlotte, and Ga Southern. The west woul be UNT, Arky State, La Tech, ULL, USM, Rice, UTEP, and UTSA. Play seven division games, two non-division games, and then three OOC games.

• Downvote 2

Almost makes me feel like we're the bad smell in the room, but of course I'm only joking.

Any of you who are calmoring for old SBC friends: I bet you don't take many chances in life,huh?

Any SBC school is already in the pocket of C-USA. We need only extend an offer.

IF C-USA is to expand, why not try other schools first before settling on what we already have in our pockets?

Name one who you could get to change and take on the additional travel costs? Its not NIU or Ohio, I can tell you that. It isn't any AAC team. The list of replacements is only SBC teams...

Name one who you could get to change and take on the additional travel costs? Its not NIU or Ohio, I can tell you that. It isn't any AAC team. The list of replacements is only SBC teams...

Why would any team in Ohio balk? WKU, MT, Marshall are all just as close as many of their current conference mates. NIU's travel costs would not be much different than they are now simply because they can fly out of OHare to other major airports in C-USA West.

There's Army. Re-approach any of the former C-USA teams who left for the AAC. New Mexico, COSt, some other MWC team may want to move away from the West Coast? Worst they can say is no.

Again, IF C-USA is to expand, exhaust your resources. Put in some effort. Don't just hit your SBC speed-dial and take candy from a baby.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 2

1) The playoff payout is per team but capped at 12 teams. Every G5 league gets a (small) percentage of the playoff money based on performance vs other G5 leagues. CUSA got the highest payout last year, adding more than 12 members just cuts the pie for everyone.

2) It's going to be ULL.

Those MAC schools really like their tight knit league and their rivalries within that league. Except for Buffalo and UMass, the remiander of the league is a nice Midwestern base league. To be honest, the SBCUSAAC could really have learned from the MACs success for cost containment and geographic rivalries that are easy to get to for games.

Those MAC schools really like their tight knit league and their rivalries within that league. Except for Buffalo and UMass, the remiander of the league is a nice Midwestern base league. To be honest, the SBCUSAAC could really have learned from the MACs success for cost containment and geographic rivalries that are easy to get to for games.

That makes sense if the conference courting you can't money-whip you, or otherwise make it worth your while to leave.

Many here are anti-MWC, but if UNT were offered, and the deal provided a nice bump in money, who would say 'no'? I'm not keen on the MAC's TV deal & other income sources, but I can't see it being bigger than C-USA's.

Money talks, my friend.

• Upvote 1