Big transfer news out of C-USA, Patrick’s Miami HOF speech

Harry

There was big news out of Conference USA today that could have a significant impact on the race for the West Division title. Louisiana Tech landed Mickey Johnson, a big 310-pound defensive tackle who will be eligible immediately after leaving LSU.

The Bulldogs have become a prime landing spot for transfers the last couple of years. Iowa transfer quarterback Cody Sokol and Illinois transfer defensive end Houston

Bates played huge roles in the Bulldogs’ big 2014 season that included a Heart of Dallas Bowl win over Illinois.

There is no telling if Johnson will have a similar impact, but he sure looks good on paper. He was a four-star recruit out of high school.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/04/big-transfer-news-out-of-c-usa-patricks-miami-hof-speech.html/

very few things would make me happier than to rout this team on their home field on homecoming weekend. I think it is entirely possible because, as the season will reveal, Driskel is not the real deal... if our D can hang, we can beat them at their game!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Not worried about it b/c they are probably going to beat us anyways. Jeff Driskel is a good QB that played in a flawed offensive system under Will Muschamp. Dude runs straight line about as fast as anyone on the field at any given time. He has a really strong arm. His downfall was his decision making, but I think that was due to the offensive system Muschamp had him in. He's a QB that needs to improvise and that needs the green light to run the football. At Florida, he was on a leash the majority of his career there in my opinion. Holtz knows he only has him for one year and he is going to cut that leash and let him go. Kenneth Dixon and Driskel in the same backfield is a recipe to tear apart a lot of CUSA defenses. They also play at KSU which IMO they will give them a run for their money. They might even punch Mississippi St in the face a few times. La Tech, IMO, is hands down the favorite to win CUSA this year. Oh, and La Tech stole a gem of a RB/Slot receiver out of Junction City, AR in Jaqwis Dancy. Same classification and conference that Kenneth Dixon was in. The towns (Strong/Junction City) separated by about 25 miles. Expect a lot of read/option, misdirection plays and deep balls from La Tech this year, probably exclusively out of shotgun too.

I wish Denton offered as much as Ruston, LA. *sarcasm*

Not worried about it b/c they are probably going to beat us anyways. Jeff Driskel is a good QB that played in a flawed offensive system under Will Muschamp. Dude runs straight line about as fast as anyone on the field at any given time. He has a really strong arm. His downfall was his decision making, but I think that was due to the offensive system Muschamp had him in. He's a QB that needs to improvise and that needs the green light to run the football. At Florida, he was on a leash the majority of his career there in my opinion. Holtz knows he only has him for one year and he is going to cut that leash and let him go. Kenneth Dixon and Driskel in the same backfield is a recipe to tear apart a lot of CUSA defenses. They also play at KSU which IMO they will give them a run for their money. They might even punch Mississippi St in the face a few times. La Tech, IMO, is hands down the favorite to win CUSA this year. Oh, and La Tech stole a gem of a RB/Slot receiver out of Junction City, AR in Jaqwis Dancy. Same classification and conference that Kenneth Dixon was in. The towns (Strong/Junction City) separated by about 25 miles. Expect a lot of read/option, misdirection plays and deep balls from La Tech this year, probably exclusively out of shotgun too.

I wish Denton offered as much as Ruston, LA. *sarcasm*

Dixon & Dancy are cousins

Using scholarships as much as we do for walk-ons hurts the program ultimately. Granted some walk-ons prove themselves as D1 players, but most are walk-ons for a reason and I think McCarney gets maybe too much self satisfaction by putting guys on scholarship. Is it the absolute best possible use of scholarships? That's a hard question..each individual walk-on offers a new dynamic. However, to me, the answer is no. There are better athletes out there that are more worthy of scholarships. Two that come to mind on our team that will be major contributors are Buyers and Fernandes. Both of those guys were D1 prospects coming out of high school. So they aren't the typical "walk-on." If we can avoid placing some on scholarship to save a couple slots for proven guys in high school ready to come in and contribute, I really wish we would. I like the feel good story as much as the next guy, but I like winning also.

Darnell Smith is another example of a "walk-on" not being a walk-on. Not sure of his offer list coming out of high school, but I know he had D1 schools interested in him. Typical walk-ons at most G5 schools don't have that. A lot of P5 school walk-ons have G5 interest and even offers, but decided for what ever boneheaded reason to walk-on at a P5. Now that, I don't get. E-G-O.

Dixon & Dancy are cousins

That makes sense. Of course they are.

There's a guy out of Gurdon, AR that I wish our staff would go look at. His name is Jackie Harvell. I believe he beat Jaqwis in the 100m at state last year so obviously the speed is there, but what makes him great is his vision and cut back capabilities. He's 6'1" 190... would translate great at safety after a redshirt year as well. I think he just made the top 25 recruit list for the state of Arkansas as well. La Tech will just continue to grab gems out of Arkansas while we sit on our hands.

That makes sense. Of course they are.

There's a guy out of Gurdon, AR that I wish our staff would go look at. His name is Jackie Harvell. I believe he beat Jaqwis in the 100m at state last year so obviously the speed is there, but what makes him great is his vision and cut back capabilities. He's 6'1" 190... would translate great at safety after a redshirt year as well. I think he just made the top 25 recruit list for the state of Arkansas as well. La Tech will just continue to grab gems out of Arkansas while we sit on our hands.

Tech does better with south Arkansas than Ark St.