Liberty University: The rise of a really big conservative college

Jerry Falwell credits his famous father for laying a solid academic foundation for Liberty University's extraordinary growth, and it's a formula he's followed and built on as president of the evangelical Christian university.

The younger Falwell has assiduously focused on Liberty as it has swelled to the largest university in Virginia, fueled primarily by distance learners. He has kept Liberty an essential stop for conservative Republicans with White House aspirations while keeping out of the spotlight.

That's a departure from his late father, the Rev. Jerry Falwell, whose barbed pronouncements on homosexuality, for one, made him a reviled figure to some and a pioneering conservative crusader to others.

Read more: http://m.csmonitor.com/USA/Education/2015/0425/Liberty-University-The-rise-of-a-really-big-conservative-college

--- Remember God told Jerry Falwell (Liberty founder) that 9-11 happened as punishment for our sinful ways... [ he claimed that ] I guess you could conclude from that that God now favors the Islamics if you believe his comments ...

--- I hope we never have anything to do with that place [Liberty Un. ] and its crazy view of life in general. They are very intolerant of anyone that disagrees with them .... and intolerance is the big problem with the people in the Middle East now...and why they execute people of different religious groups that disagree with them even within Islam.. . they are just much more extreme. Yes I am Christian .... but not a follower of Falwell-ism etc. That also was a huge issue in "Christian" Germany too ... they tried to wipe out the Jewish religion and race...

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

--- Remember God told Jerry Falwell (Liberty founder) that 9-11 happened as punishment for our sinful ways... [ he claimed that ] I guess you could conclude from that that God now favors the Islamics if you believe his comments ...

--- I hope we never have anything to do with that place [Liberty Un. ] and its crazy view of life in general. They are very intolerant of anyone that disagrees with them .... and intolerance is the big problem with the people in the Middle East now...and why they execute people of different religious groups that disagree with them even within Islam.. . they are just much more extreme. Yes I am Christian .... but not a follower of Falwell-ism etc. That also was a huge issue in "Christian" Germany too ... they tried to wipe out the Jewish religion and race...

Amen.

• Upvote 1

So practicing religion through prayer and attempting to practice some do's and dont's, which includes talking, maybe writing some words down, ... Is now the same as beheading people, throwing gays off rooftops and mass murdering Jews.

Got it.

Rick

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Intolerant like throwing a sissy fit when someone speaks at a college graduation with different viewpoints than a few whiners? Yes, those darn Christians are so intolerant! Edited by GreenMachine
  • Upvote 4

Everything is a punishment from God according to someone.

I always thought that If I were a wrathful God, I'd come up with more creative ways to punish sin, gays and Nepalese non-Christians than a plane crash, a little rain or some ground shaking. I'd want to leave my definite signature on my wrath so people knew it was me rather than a perfectly scientifically explainable political, weather or geological occurrence.

Where lie our modern rivers of blood? I wanna see every bat in MLB turn into a venomous snake. I want see the Sequoia forest light ablaze, the burning trees singing a choral production of a Beethoven symphony. I want to walk from San Francisco to Hawaii via the trans-Pacific super-walkway path parted right through the ocean. I'd really be intrigued to see my wife turn into a pillar of salt.

Today all we get is naturally occurring phenomena. The heavenly wrath committee is getting plain lazy, I tell ya.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

I always thought that If I were a wrathful God, I'd come up with more creative ways to punish sin, gays and Nepalese non-Christians than a plane crash, a little rain or some ground shaking. I'd want to leave my definite signature on my wrath so people knew it was me rather than a perfectly scientifically explainable political, weather or geological occurrence.

Where lie our modern rivers of blood? I wanna see every bat in MLB turn into a venomous snake. I want see the Sequoia forest light ablaze, the burning trees singing a choral production of a Beethoven symphony. I want to walk from San Francisco to Hawaii via the trans-Pacific super-walkway path parted right through the ocean. I'd really be intrigued to see my wife turn into a pillar of salt.

Today all we get is naturally occurring phenomena. The heavenly wrath committee is getting plain lazy, I tell ya.

It's called Faith bro, either you have it or you dont.
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The levels of Biblical ignorance these days are astounding.

"A wicked and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given unto it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas."

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Mmmm...fresh picked cherries. Love them

"I will carry out great vengeance on them and punish them in my wrath. Then they will know that I am the LORD, when I take vengeance on them.'"

Period of Grace, my friend. Christ is gathering His Church now. There is no wrath going on right now.

And to speak directly to the Ezekiel verse: Where are the Philistines?

Jerry Fallwell & others have no authority to declare God's vengeance on anything, anywhere. This, not to say that God could not use natural disasters to execute His Will... but just pay ol' Jerry, or any other wrath-prognosticator, no mind.

• Upvote 1

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven."

• Upvote 2

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven."

Amen! And I'm so glad He did.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 2

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them."

I'm not sure what translation you're using there, but it's not a good one. "Abolish" is incorrect. It should be rendered "destroy" as it is by the KJV, ASV, and NKJV.

"Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace" (Eph. 2:15)

• Upvote 2