GMG.com Official Ideas to Sell out the Wing

Harry

Here's two different ideas I'll throw out here. Would like to hear of others...

1). Make a beergarden underneath the Wing and hang up signs... charge $5 a seat and make up the money on the beer sales. Offer lots of craft beers and interesting food. Get a live band jamming out with cover songs. Sell other signage to sponsors. The key is have a lot of people and party scene visible from 35E. Don't worry about making money on the tickets, try to create a scene that people want to partake in - you'll make it up in concession sales etc.

2). Throw in a "Kids Wing" concept sort of like "Kids Korner". Say kids under 12 sit in the Wing for free, charge regular for parents. Have clowns blowing up balloons, free ice cream, cotton candy and games. Make it REALLY easy for parents to have a cheap night out with their kids at Apogee.

UNT-Apogee-Stadium-HKS-Inc-8.jpg

4 tickets in the Wing--$20, but leave the single ticket the same $. Kids under 12 free. Not sure how the beer thing would work, since there's already a contracted vendor, but maybe partner with OSDH&CP or East Side to roll out a couple of kegs each week until they're gone if it's possible. Or have BEK do it. Love the band idea, but not sure it would attract the families/kids.

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys -- hope to get some more feedback. The reason I put the picture there is, it would be great for like the cover of an architectural magazine but it is not inviting to the casual fan we need to fill up the Wing. We need activity in and around the Wing. If you saw people, signs, music, drinking beer and having fun from I35 it would get more people interested.

I think a lot of people see a beautiful stadium from the highway but we need another way to entice them in the door. A $5 ticket and good drinks and food would be extremely compelling. If you could create a "scene" it would be fantastic.

I always thought the students should fill up their side and the wing. To get more students, have a menu and instead of them paying for food and drink, they would swipe their meal card, if they are in the dorm. Or, use flex dollars.

Put the visitors in the wing?

Make the wing into a cheaper version of the Mean Green Club. Have a free buffet before game time, special pricing for beverages, t shirt sales, etc.

Have high school and community college students get in free and charge a small fee for the parents. Recognize them at half time as future Mean Green students and future alumni.

Send out a postcard to all alumni for a buy one get one free admission to the Wing. Just some thoughts! GMG!

• Upvote 1

This I like. It's like the all you can eat porch at the Rangers.

Make the wing into a cheaper version of the Mean Green Club. Have a free buffet before game time, special pricing for beverages, t shirt sales, etc.

I 2nd these thoughts...make it like the all you can eat deck at the ballpark. something like that will help out the section big time.

• Upvote 1

I know that I am not a normal poster but, #1 is a great idea! Look at FC Dallas, they have had this for quite a few years and they have gone from just standing to room to stands now. Also, I know some on here are against Greek life but I remember when I was attending UNT we one week had Johnny Jones come in and speak to us about a Spirit stick. The spirit idea isn't so much for the wing as it is just getting Coach McCarney in to try and create some excitement from the Greeks for atleast one, maybe two home games a year.

• Upvote 1

1. Football Fun Zone- Let fans keep the footballs they catch after extra points and field goals. Have the players and coaches walk over after the game and sign them. It would be a very cool and unique tradition. I doubt any other program has ever done it.

2. The Mean Green Nation "Wing-Zone"- $5 ticket discount for each person that wears a Mean Green themed costume. Kids would love this. Green Darth Vader helmets are very cool.

I think both could be done.

• Upvote 4

Side Show Joe brings up some good ideas as well. #1 from Harry is great and #1 from Side Show Joe is great.

The #1 from Harry is a really, really good idea. It could be turned into a full on party. Have it roped off for paying customers, blown up beach balls, sound systems set up in the area, above head water sprinklers for the early season games, etc. etc. etc. This idea needs to get momentum behind it. The signing of caught FG's and extra points would be sweet. Maybe have a different 4-5 players each home game assigned to the signing of those caught footballs. Have the fans come into the locker room after post game speech has been addressed and get them signed. It would help connect the fans to the team and I think that is something that is lacking.

I am not sure the kind of weight people on here can pull within the marketing/athletic department, but these ideas are golden.

• Upvote 1

My Apogee dream is to fill the Wing and get a picture:

Since we will not likely do it in a conventional way anytime soon...

First game of the year: Spread the word that at the start of the fourth quarter, everyone in the stadium gets up from their seat and makes their way to the Wing...and slowly, completely fills the Wing from bottom to top.

GMG

Edited by untcampbell
  • Upvote 1