A closer look at SMU’s post-spring position battles

Harry

Quarterback

Quick take: Matt Davis appears to have the edge on true freshman Ben Hicks at the quarterback position. While Hicks is a special talent and will almost certainly be the guy down the line, he looked the part of a first year player at the spring game. Meanwhile, Davis appears to have made strides from last season and is a good fit in Chad Morris’ offense. Remember, Davis led SMU in both passing and rushing last season. The former four-star recruit has potential, and it wouldn’t be surprising to see Morris mold him into a pretty darn good football player. With that said, Hicks will push him in fall camp.

Read more: http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2015/04/a-closer-look-at-smus-post-spring-position-battles.html/

The exact number is irrelevant. Point is, the new staff at SMU is doing a great job making an impression with high school coaches and players in the area. I would honestly be surprised if we ever win a head-to-head recruiting battle against them as long as our current head coaching situations remain the same.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

The exact number is irrelevant. Point is, the new staff at SMU is doing a great job making an impression with high school coaches and players in the area. I would honestly be surprised if we ever win a head-to-head recruiting battle against them as long as our current head coaching situations remain the same.

Yeah, and it's inexcusable. We are getting our face kicked in with regards to recruiting by a team that went 1-11, in an equal conference as us, geographically identical and not to even mention we curb stomped them on the field. Our HC is so behind in the times and it's so blatantly obvious. Yet, there are still folks backing him for irrelevant reasons. We lose this season it will be the official start of the downward spiraling of the Dan McCarney era at North Texas. I only say 'official' bc in my mind it has already started. I heard the toilet flush mid season 2014 and it was apparent in 2013 that bad things were to come with the style of play, offensively and defensively. Teams have to have a solid nucleus of players to play with that philosophy year in and year out and it's difficult to play like that at the G5 level, particularly with how this staff recruits. The MOST frustrating thing about alllll of this is that Dan McCarney will be back in 2016 regardless of what happens in '15 and we all have the AD to thank for that one. We're stuck.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, and it's inexcusable. We are getting our face kicked in with regards to recruiting by a team that went 1-11, in an equal conference as us, geographically identical and not to even mention we curb stomped them on the field. Our HC is so behind in the times and it's so blatantly obvious. Yet, there are still folks backing him for irrelevant reasons. We lose this season it will be the official start of the downward spiraling of the Dan McCarney era at North Texas. I only say 'official' bc in my mind it has already started. I heard the toilet flush mid season 2014 and it was apparent in 2013 that bad things were to come with the style of play, offensively and defensively. Teams have to have a solid nucleus of players to play with that philosophy year in and year out and it's difficult to play like that at the G5 level, particularly with how this staff recruits. The MOST frustrating thing about alllll of this is that Dan McCarney will be back in 2016 regardless of what happens in '15 and we all have the AD to thank for that one. We're stuck.

We have the BOR to thank for it...the AD just does their bidding. RV is nothing more than a puppet to them, a very useful one...

• Upvote 1

How many HS coaches did we have attend our practices? Also, someone mentioned back during the HS playoffs that the SMU coaching staff was on the sidelines during a playoff game. If that is true, how is that jot a recruiting violation?

• Downvote 1

We have the BOR to thank for it...the AD just does their bidding. RV is nothing more than a puppet to them, a very useful one...

The BOR cares how many HS coaches come watch UNT spring practice?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not against any rules for coaches to be on the sideline at any game, unless during the dead period, I believe. So long as there is no contact with recruits I am almost positive this is not a rules violation.

• Upvote 1