UNT students outraged with Republican commencement speaker

Students at the University of North Texas are outraged with the school’s chosen commencement speaker for next month’s graduation and more than 2,400 students have signed a petition to have him replaced.

Texas Governor Greg Abbott ® is set to speak at the ceremony in May, but students who have signed the petition argue that he is unfit to speak because they disagree with his political stances.

Kimberly Williams, a student who signed the petition, wrote that, “[h]e is not the appropriate person to lead our young leaders into the world,” and continued on to list specific incidents of his alleged anti-feminism.

Allyson Nophsker said, “I'm signing because I want to attend my own graduation ceremony, but cannot due to my moral disagreements with Abbot's [sic] policies.”

The petition reads:

“The University of North Texas’ student body is made up of students from all walks of life. Therefore, it is pivotal that our keynote speaker be someone who reflects not only our student population but our views on equality and representation. Governor Abbott is an advocate for immigration reform, border patrol, and anti-equal marriage laws. This does not align the spirit of the University of North Texas which prides itself in providing equal opportunities for their students. While Governor Abbott's story is inspirational, his views on inequality cannot be overshadowed by this. Our Mean Green Pride comes from being heard and respected. Which is why we ask University President Neal Smatresk to find a new keynote speaker for graduation.”

Libby Goins, a 2013 graduate of UNT, told Campus Reform that she “absolutely” supported Abbott as the commencement speaker, “not just because of his political views— [but because] he’s the governor of the state.”

“It’s an honor for UNT to have any governor visit their campus,” Goins said. “He is congratulating them on their accomplishments,” and “doing UNT a favor.”

read more: http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=6457

It's also incorrect (lazy?) reporting to say "2,400 students have signed the petition" when if you look at the comments on the petition some people say they are alumni of UNT. The number of students is likely a significant number of the signatures but it is not all encompassing.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 3

No, since it's at Apogee, each speaker gets the ball at the 25 yard line and they play until one cannot match the score of the other.

Based on several factors, at least 7OTs feels likely...looks like we're going to knock Fouts out of the record books once and for all.

It's also incorrect (lazy?) reporting to say "2,400 students have signed the petition" when if you look at the comments on the petition some people say they are alumni of UNT. The number of students is likely a significant number of the signatures but it is not all encompassing.

Not the level of reporting I generally expect when I get my daily news updates from campusreform.org.

• Upvote 1

Texas Governor Greg Abbott ® is set to speak at the ceremony in May, but students who have signed the petition argue that he is unfit to speak because they disagree with his political stances.

So in other words, they are intolerant of someone else's views but you better agree with them or you are scum? These people are absolute tools and will be tools when they enter the real world and don't get their precious little way.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

So in other words, they are intolerant of someone else's views but you better agree with them or you are scum? These people are absolute tools and will be tools when they enter the real world and don't get their precious little way.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/encouraging-us-department-of-labor-reminds-job-see,38455/

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

None of this bothers me. If people want to protest, great. If people want to celebrate, great.

I don't agree with everything Abbott says or believes. I don't disagree with everything Abbott says or believes, either. We fundamentally disagree on a couple big issues, but hey -- that's life.

I do think it's good to have someone like the governor of the state on campus. Irrespective of one's political opinions or leanings, the office -- much like that of the president -- deserves respect.

I am not sure when we got to a point as a society where we have to agree with everything someone says to listen to anything they say, but it's truly exhausting.

• Upvote 5

None of this bothers me. If people want to protest, great. If people want to celebrate, great.

I don't agree with everything Abbott says or believes. I don't disagree with everything Abbott says or believes, either. We fundamentally disagree on a couple big issues, but hey -- that's life.

I do think it's good to have someone like the governor of the state on campus. Irrespective of one's political opinions or leanings, the office -- much like that of the president -- deserves respect.

I am not sure when we got to a point as a society where we have to agree with everything someone says to listen to anything they say, but it's truly exhausting.

Good post.

• Upvote 3