If You Were the Head Coach, Who Would be Your Starting UNT QB?

The buzz comes from the lack of snaps people have seen him play which adds to the hope that he could develop into something special. At this point fans are willing to latch onto anybody, but Greer or McNulty. I think some of the buzz also stemmed from last years spring game where he showed some good moxy in the pocket.

His tools are raw. He gives you rare glimpses of potential. Good size. I honestly believe he has the best escape-ability out of all the QBs. Just has a knack of being able to elude a rush.

The ceiling seems higher for Means than Greer or McNulty thats why people are high on him.

That's what I'm thinking as well.

IMO, Means looks far better in terms of pure talent than Greer or McNulty. He and Williams look smooth and fluid on the field while Greer and McNulty look forced and stilted. Means looks very good as a runner. As far as his completion percentage, it seemed that his receivers tended to be covered more tightly. More than once, he took the smart play and threw the ball away.

BTW, the entire spring game is viewable online.

Thanks for the input and the information. That makes sense.

i share some of the same thoughts about means. i asked questions about him when we offered. i saw him play his jr year and didnt think he was good enough to get a D1 offer before seeing how his sr year went.

once his sr season started and looked bad, i asked a pretty good source about it, and he was still Chicos guy. i know at least one highly rated athlete/qb that was interested in UNT, that had a great year at QB. he went on as an athlete to the SEC. had several offers at QB though.

means looks like he can play though. i can see him looking good in a camp type setting. he shows some athleticism, but he also looks like an improvisor. he extended the play twice and looked for kidsy, but kidsy wasnt on the same page.

more reps could make a difference with means, but we need someone that is ready NOW.

You're right. We need someone now. Maybe Means is too young to ask a lot of right now, but he has a long way to go and he has to start getting to that point eventually. I feel like he didn't make a lot of progress from last spring. That can't be the case again next year.

I haven't seen anything from Means for him to garner this kind of attention. He throws a pretty ball, but it's usually under/over thrown from what I have seen; which goes back to his HS completion % (50). People are talking about his running bc of one scramble he had in the spring game, 10-12 yards.

The buzz comes from the lack of snaps people have seen him play which adds to the hope that he could develop into something special. At this point fans are willing to latch onto anybody, but Greer or McNulty. I think some of the buzz also stemmed from last years spring game where he showed some good moxy in the pocket.

His tools are raw. He gives you rare glimpses of potential. Good size. I honestly believe he has the best escape-ability out of all the QBs. Just has a knack of being able to elude a rush.

The ceiling seems higher for Means than Greer or McNulty thats why people are high on him.

There's some truth in there, but reports from people who have been attending the past two years of spring practice (not just the spring game) have been very favorable toward Connor Means. So while the fact that we haven't had to be disappointed by his play on the field like we have with Greer, Williams, and McNulty factors in, there are also factors quite opposite to "lack of snaps people have seen him play."

• Upvote 1

You're right. We need someone now. Maybe Means is too young to ask a lot of right now, but he has a long way to go and he has to start getting to that point eventually. I feel like he didn't make a lot of progress from last spring. That can't be the case again next year.

its hard to make progress without reps. we have evaluation and development issues at more than just the qb position.

but qb is the one position where we cannot afford to waste reps. it is also the position where real, game type situations are needed for preparation.

Oh and we have a pretty good sample size at this point, 100. 17% of our avid fan base believes that our current starter should be the starter. That's a problem, there's something wrong with that. That would certainly have to be an FBS low approval rating or close to it. It's kind of telling of our situation. I wonder if Canales knows he's unemployed after this season if AM is our starter... So surely he would be more persuasive/demanding of who his QB1 is in HIS offense b/c he's scapegoat #1 for Dan McCarney.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Oh and we have a pretty good sample size at this point, 100. 17% of our avid fan base believes that our current starter should be the starter. That's a problem, there's something wrong with that. That would certainly have to be an FBS low approval rating or close to it. It's kind of telling of our situation. I wonder if Canales knows he's unemployed after this season if AM is our starter... So surely he would be more persuasive/demanding of who his QB1 is in HIS offense b/c he's scapegoat #1 for Dan McCarney.

It could be low when compared with all of FBS, but you have no way to actually know that. I would guess that it is comparable to other teams in our situation, bad season with a lot of options at QB. I don't really see how you can conclude that the opinions of fans is any indication of the situation. I really don't think that a coach should use the opinions of fans to determine the starter at any position.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Correction....he's scapegoat #1 for the fan base. He may also be for DMac, but that's another discussion entirely. Whether or not he's recruiting his own QBs, we find ourselves looking at a stable of 6 or 7 QBs, and NONE of them could start on any team we've had since at least 2000.

No, scapegoat to me is the root of the cause, not a malignant bystander. Year 5 is do or die for just about every head coach in the country. If Dan McCarney doesn't produce in his fifth year then when will he? 2013 was great and I had a great time during that season, but it's ONE season that didn't include not a division championship or conference championship/appearance. Yes, we were "bowl champions" vs arguably the most struggling program in the country. Last year was a pivotal season that could have resulted in 6-6 had the coaching staff stuck with a QB not named McNulty/Greer and put confidence in him and understood that growing pains are a part of the game. There is no doubt in my mind that we don't win those games vs Southern Miss and utsa. That would have put us at 6-6 and a season we could hang our hat on given the turnaround on personnel. Instead the coaching staff flip flops QB's like they're dispensable. They should have stuck with DW through the season and that would have built his confidence and paid dividends this upcoming season. But now we have a stable of QB's playing while looking over their shoulder.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

There's some truth in there, but reports from people who have been attending the past two years of spring practice (not just the spring game) have been very favorable toward Connor Means. So while the fact that we haven't had to be disappointed by his play on the field like we have with Greer, Williams, and McNulty factors in, there are also factors quite opposite to "lack of snaps people have seen him play."

This. And Meangreen_09's post.

I'm not sure he's ready for the pressure. And the teammates that I've talked to all agree that he is absolutely the real deal and are excited about him. ***And he can actually complete a 5 yard cross route in the spread. ( unlike the QB that so many people worship on here)

Edited by SSP
  • Upvote 1

I'm curious what schools McNulty's peers ended up at and if they started. Could someone look up like the last 10 years worth of the 9th best pro-style quarterback in Iowa according to Rivals and see how and where their career ended up?

A couple of things. First, assuming you're looking at Rivals, the #9 ranking is for overall recruit in the state of Iowa; that's not by position. He was actually the top QB recruit in the state. Second, I have no idea how he got classified as a pro-style QB.

In response to your question, the top Iowa QB of the class of '10 is the guy who McNulty backed up in H.S., A.J. Derby. He went to Iowa and has since transferred to Arkansas as a TE. The top Iowa QB the year after McNulty apparently didn't make grades, but he signed with Minnesota out of a Juco as a DB. The top Iowa QB in 2013 went to K-State, was 3rd string behind Jake Waters last year, and is supposed to compete for the starting job this fall. That's not 10 years, but maybe gives a little idea.

Give me Connor Means. I've seen two years of limited action in the spring game In which he has shown some poise under pressure. Now I would like to see how he responds after getting lit up.

You never know about a QB after he gets lit up by an opposing team. Sometimes it crushes their spirit and they're sending in signals from the sidelines the rest of the way. But sometimes it pisses them off and they respond in a way you want them to and a leader is born. This is what happened when we found Scott Davis. Davis was so pissed, mad and cocky when he played, and he hated to lose so much that he could have fought the zombie apocalypse with a plastic knife. Suddenly, the other 21 dudes on the team realized he was going to demand they match his intensity and started playing as if they were looking around for their own plastic knife to get into the fight with. This is how we found Scott Hall too. Hell, Scott Hall could have fought and won with a plastic spoon as far as I'm concerned.

So who's willing to stick their face in there, take the hits, get pissed off enough to demand excellence from their teammates, and metaphorically speaking,...take 'em on with a plastic spoon? Give me Connor Means and let's find out. I think the boy has what it takes.

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Firstly, I think you mean "flack" - One "catches flack" and then asks to be "cut some slack", but I digress.

Protecting AM is nonsense. And I don't think it's so much about knowing the playbook as it is the other things that DW seemingly has failed to do. You can't let a kid dictate what he will or will not do no matter if he is the second coming of Tom Brady. You do that and you quickly risk anarchy within your team. As an example there was a game last season in which DW refused to wear a headset during the second half and send in signals. Refused. I can't imagine any coach rewarding that kind of behavior no matter how good a player is.

When coaches talk about maturity etc it's things such as the above that I think they are talking about. And until DW buys in completely Id wager his role is limited.

When did this happen? I thought more would have been made of it, especially when it makes Mac looks better for sticking with McNulty.

• Upvote 2

Any chance we drop DW's scholly? I know it's not the popular opinion (and I hope it doesn't happen), but if a kid - regardless of talent - repeatedly defies your rules to the point where he will never be considered for serious/starting PT, why keep him around? Why not spend that scholly searching for a someone who will comply and compete?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Any chance we drop DW's scholly? I know it's not the popular opinion (and I hope it doesn't happen), but if a kid - regardless of talent - repeatedly defies your rules to the point where he will never be considered for serious/starting PT, why keep him around? Why not spend that scholly searching for a someone who will comply and compete?

Although that would technically be an option, with coaches allowed 85 scholarships you typically don't see that happening in football. They might give players "the talk" or they might use various means to run them off, but you don't typically just yank a football player's scholarship before he's played 4 years.

Things work a little differently in basketball.

Although that would technically be an option, with coaches allowed 85 scholarships you typically don't see that happening in football. They might give players "the talk" or they might use various means to run them off, but you don't typically just yank a football player's scholarship before he's played 4 years.

Things work a little differently in basketball.

It would not surprise me to see the rules changed to allow teams to exceed the current 25 player per year maximum, even if they keep the max at 85. My thought is that once the COA kicks in, coaches are not going to be as willing to put up with 'hangers on' and would be willing cut bait with players more than they do today. If they start not renewing scholarships, it will require them to be able to replace those players and still maintain 85 scholarship players. Something around 30 would probably be sufficient.

If a scholarship is not renewed, that player should become immediately eligible (imo). The next couple of years should be interesting to see how the COA era unfolds.

93-98, thank you for the info. Rivals rankings won't pull up on my computer for some reason so thank you for looking into that.

In looking back, it seems he was a good get out of high school based on opinions here and by Hawkeye fans. He even started at corner his junior season at Iowa City and said he'd be willing to play defensive back here if needed. I don't hate Andrew McNulty, I think he is a fantastic teammate and ambassador for our university. I think he is a great kid.

I am disappointed that the best quarterback McCarney started for North Texas was a Todd Dodge recruit.

Edited by Cr1028

That strength and conditioning Facebook page was seriously the worst thing to ever happen to GMG.com

GWTOGMT had such a shameful and secret run. I'm glad we're back to being more open with it again.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1