If You Were the Head Coach, Who Would be Your Starting UNT QB?

my expectation for smith is that he will look similar to dajon on the field. he will make mistakes and try to use his athleticism to make plays. it will take time to adjust to the speed of the game.

i assume he will be more mature and more of a leader though, and that just might be enough to get him on the field.

These were also my uneducated thoughts.

SMU was marginally better than Nicholls and Greer's stats were...

I think Mac is brilliant and an amazing coach, but I do not support rewarding players in practice for being good even when they perform poorly in games. I'm not a coach, but I can say, if we get the same QB play while we have playmakers on the bench again, there's an extremely low chance of me not selling my tickets for the Portland State and UTEP games.

It's not about support, it's about choosing to play for the W.

SMU would beat that sorry excuse of a high school team by 40.

Just stop.

This is a fair comparison.... ?

We aren't really trying to compare a guy that lost his starting position to mini Mac to Johnny Football, are we? Or a quarterback that was on a FSU team with a reputation of being thug-ish and that were just as egotistical as him ?

Come on.

This isn't hard, guys.

They make movies about this kind of stuff.

You cannot win football games and you cannot get good recruits if players don't respect their leaders or coaches. That's asinine.

Except it's not easy.

Your first post in this thread is perfect and easy ideologically, but in practice - right now in Denton - it is not. We don't have a guy that, despite his issues, is head and shoulders above everyone else.

Mac is treading the line with job security and has a stable of QBs that all offer unique advantages to our team, come game time or system-wise. Ultimately, however, it is a job to win games, and McNulty's ability to impress during game preparations is not winning games on-the-field.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, they did get switched to private. But how much can you really tell about a QBs accuracy in highlights, when every pass is complete? Accuracy is a consistency stat, so I'd need to see a QB play live or see his completion percentage to call him accurate.

That being said, I don't think accuracy is a huge issue with Smith, but I don't think it's necessarily a strength either. His completion percentage hasn't been that high in high school or JUCO, but he also throws downfield a lot so that skews it a little. He would still be plenty accurate

Lots of great points here.

His %Comp certainly isn't high at 58% but I'll take his YPA at 8.2. Just anything that isn't 6.4 ypa. Here are his split stats. Interesting to note the difference between wins and losses (as Ben was mentioning) and home vs away.

What we need is efficiency. McNulty did not show that. He did not improve down the stretch. He's got a gunslinger mentality, which I appreciate, but he doesn't have the consistency of placing the ball in tight windows and giving the receiver a chance to win that battle (To MSmith and Terrell's credit, they won a lot of those battles). When he does, it's awesome, but when he doesn't, it's a ball that gets slapped down (or is wildly off target). Also, McNulty's horizontal game is not good, and it is something we use frequently (another knock on the coaching staff, not calling plays to the players' abilities).

That being said, whoever is starting at QB at Ford Stadjum, I'll be rooting for you 100%. If it takes you 40 attempts to hit 250 yards, so be it (but really, don't let that be the case).

I'd put up DT's performance against Georgia as the best game against a P1 since I've been following the team even though he had better stats against K-State. Georgia stats weren't stellar but were worlds better than what we usually put up against the SEC and the touchdown pass was perfect.

I'd put up DT's performance against Georgia as the best game against a P1 since I've been following the team even though he had better stats against K-State. Georgia stats weren't stellar but were worlds better than what we usually put up against the SEC and the touchdown pass was perfect.

I assume you meant ST's...?

web1_uga_t300.jpg

After watching some of the 3rd quarter of the spring game, I am impressed with Shanbour's ability to run the read-option. He really sells it and makes quick accurate passes(or at least one I saw). Chumley looks like an NFL quarterback, if we could just get someone to teach him how to play the position.

I think McNulty's passes lack the velocity needed to be effective at the FBS level. I can't think of one other starting qb we've had over the last ten years that I would like McNulty to start over, and that includes Chase Baine.

Oh, and I think Means has a good amount of potential. I'd put Williams, Means, Shanbour as my 123 after the limited snaps I saw.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2

I think Mac is brilliant and an amazing coach

What??? Seriously??? 78-112 overall and his absolutely dismal and pathetic road record sure are brilliant and amazing.

Props to Mac for being loyal to us when all these P5 schools are knocking down his door looking for his brilliant and amazing services.

That's some good kool-aid they serve on Bonnie Brae.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

To be fair to Cr1028 (and I'm half-eating my words), I would have preferred DT's 2013 efficiency over what he had in 2014. There I said it.

And I am strictly speaking about efficiency here. 64.4 %Comp, 7.4 ypa, and 223 ypa.

7446889.jpg

Probably as close to an admission as will ever come from DT haters that Losing DT to graduation was a huge loss for this team in 2014.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Probably as close to an admission as will ever come from DT haters that Losing DT to graduation was a huge loss for this team in 2014.

Never said he was not a huge loss. And I am not a DT hater, I appreciate what he did.

I just will argue that the defense and special teams deserved more credit for our overall record in 2013 than DT did. We were getting top 25 votes because of them, not our offense.

Our offense was still average to below average nationally in several categories. Our defense was top 20, top 10 in several categories.

BUT, I never expected our passing production to go from fairly average, to what-the-heck-do-you-call-that.

• Upvote 2

After watching some of the 3rd quarter of the spring game, I am impressed with Shanbour's ability to run the read-option. He really sells it and makes quick accurate passes(or at least one I saw). Chumley looks like an NFL quarterback, if we could just get someone to teach him how to play the position.

I think McNulty's passes lack the velocity needed to be effective at the FBS level. I can't think of one other starting qb we've had over the last ten years that I would like McNulty to start over, and that includes Chase Baine.

Oh, and I think Means has a good amount of potential. I'd put Williams, Means, Shanbour as my 123 after the limited snaps I saw.

Can someone explain to me what the buzz around Means is coming from? I wasn't able to make it to the spring game, but my friend who made it, whose opinion I value a lot, said Means did not look impressive. And the stats say he was 6-15 (40%) so that comment seems warranted.

I don't mean this as a personal shot, because you're far from the only one, but I don't understand how people can be so low on Mcnulty and Greer, yet feel so good about Means considering this is his second spring on the team and he has yet to give Mcnulty or Greer any resistance. But, like I said, I wasn't there so I'm curious as to what it is people see live with Means, because all I really have to go off of are high school stats and film and spring game stats and film.

Can someone explain to me what the buzz around Means is coming from? I wasn't able to make it to the spring game, but my friend who made it, whose opinion I value a lot, said Means did not look impressive. And the stats say he was 6-15 (40%) so that comment seems warranted.

I don't mean this as a personal shot, because you're far from the only one, but I don't understand how people can be so low on Mcnulty and Greer, yet feel so good about Means considering this is his second spring on the team and he has yet to give Mcnulty or Greer any resistance. But, like I said, I wasn't there so I'm curious as to what it is people see live with Means, because all I really have to go off of are high school stats and film and spring game stats and film.

IMO, Means looks far better in terms of pure talent than Greer or McNulty. He and Williams look smooth and fluid on the field while Greer and McNulty look forced and stilted. Means looks very good as a runner. As far as his completion percentage, it seemed that his receivers tended to be covered more tightly. More than once, he took the smart play and threw the ball away.

BTW, the entire spring game is viewable online.

• Upvote 1

It turned out ot be a huge loss (credit to you for calling it), but really, it wouldn't have been at most FBS schools. We literally replaced a guy who was a Senior level busdriver with inexperienced busdrivers, who, for multiple reasons, couldn't command this incredibly complicated offense that requires you to hand the ball off 2/3rds of the time and then throw the very difficult bubble screen pass or short five yard pass...

All of the above is exactly why Andrew McNulty will be your starter for most of the season. His coaches think he drives the bus better than anyone else, which is, amazingly , probably true.

i share some of the same thoughts about means. i asked questions about him when we offered. i saw him play his jr year and didnt think he was good enough to get a D1 offer before seeing how his sr year went.

once his sr season started and looked bad, i asked a pretty good source about it, and he was still Chicos guy. i know at least one highly rated athlete/qb that was interested in UNT, that had a great year at QB. he went on as an athlete to the SEC. had several offers at QB though.

means looks like he can play though. i can see him looking good in a camp type setting. he shows some athleticism, but he also looks like an improvisor. he extended the play twice and looked for kidsy, but kidsy wasnt on the same page.

more reps could make a difference with means, but we need someone that is ready NOW.

You just don't get it. "Hater," what are you a high schooler?

Not many "hated" DT. I'm forever grateful to him for getting us that bowl win, and his performance against Ball State and UNLV. In my opinion, he should be a UNT HoFer, easily. But in the overall grand scheme of things, he was a bus driver, and most people want something more than that, and most people thought we had that. Being a bus driver at UNT, as hard as it is to admit, gets you in the HoF here. He was perfect and EXACTLY what we needed in 2013. Much like Trent Dilfer to the Ravens in 2002.

Was I happy that he started in 2013? Absolutely not. I had visions of that Troy game in my head. But was I panicking when he got hurt? Absolutely. Was I forever now a fan due to the fact that he was the toughest MF'er to ever don a green jersey? By the UNLV game, definitely. Doesn't mean I don't want UNT to get a gamechanger week in and week out at the QB position.

DT was smart, tough, efficient and took Mac's challenge by stepping up as a leader. Exactly what the 2013 team needed. And he'll be a hell of a coach.

But continue your really creepy "miss you DT, F tha haterzzz" posts.

Really creepy? Interesting take,

So what you are saying is you want a new coach, because this head coach isn't going to throw the ball 45 times a game and is always going to have a run first offense.

I would have loved to see what DT could do if cut loose. We saw some signs after we fell behind Ball St. and had to throw the ball, which he did stunningly well. Unfortunately, Mac wanted and wants to win with defense and doesn't like taking any chances on offense. Don't blame the QB for that.

The buzz comes from the lack of snaps people have seen him play which adds to the hope that he could develop into something special. At this point fans are willing to latch onto anybody, but Greer or McNulty. I think some of the buzz also stemmed from last years spring game where he showed some good moxy in the pocket.

His tools are raw. He gives you rare glimpses of potential. Good size. I honestly believe he has the best escape-ability out of all the QBs. Just has a knack of being able to elude a rush.

The ceiling seems higher for Means than Greer or McNulty thats why people are high on him.

• Upvote 4

The buzz comes from the lack of snaps people have seen him play which adds to the hope that he could develop into something special. At this point fans are willing to latch onto anybody, but Greer or McNulty. I think some of the buzz also stemmed from last years spring game where he showed some good moxy in the pocket.

His tools are raw. He gives you rare glimpses of potential. Good size. I honestly believe he has the best escape-ability out of all the QBs. Just has a knack of being able to elude a rush.

The ceiling seems higher for Means than Greer or McNulty thats why people are high on him.

This. Glimpses of potential overwhelm the reality. But I still have dajon >> Means > others. Just not quite there yet in development. The rs freshman has time.

23bba551f2cf8d3c54d3abbf9f584560.jpg

Why is Demarcus included in this poll??????

Not eligible yet, and we do not know if we will be or ever play a down. and you can prolly count those votes for DW.

Until then DW!

Hope.

I can't hope for a successful season with the guys we've already seen unless the defense/STs step up big time and McNulty improves drastically.

• Upvote 1