New UNT Student Union

I was part of a group invited to take a tour of the new UNT Student Union Saturday morning before the spring football game. In one word....FANTASTIC! Folks, UNT takes a backseat to no other student union with this new facility. It has everything in spades needed for a great place for our students, staff and alums. Lots and lots of meeting and banquet space, much more food court seating, lots of food options, a sports bar (where it appears beer will be an option), Barnes and Noble Bookstore, Apple Store, several outside seating and green areas, great views of Denton and the campus, a meditation room, a re-done and updated Lyceum, office space, bank, student services and on and on.

The finish out is quality as well. This is a well done facility and being built to be green certified. Lots of artwork and UNT traditions built into the facility as well.

Scheduled opening is said to be October, 2015. Will most likely be part of the 125 year university celebration...well, I am guessing it may well be part of that celebration.

Interesting fact...this is actually a re-model project, not new construction. Could not get approval from the state for "new" construction.

When you get a chance after it opens (or before for that matter) go see this new student union. You will be proud that you are part of the Mean Green Nation when you see it up close and personal.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

It's actually a little bit of both isn't it? A remodel of the old space plus some new.

Officially a remodel per Dr. Smatresk. No way to get approval for new construction through the state.

In fact, I mentioned that I thought it was a remodel and Dr. Smatresk replied that indeed it was. Same thing happened at OSU when I was a grad student there...the new Sereteen Performing Arts Center was classified as a remodel as the state would not approve new construction at the time (1970-1972). They tore the old building down to one wall and a bit of foundation and built the new beautiful performing arts center around that standing wall. Quite a remodel, huh? UNT Student Union is the exact same situation.

Official remodel. Ha! Do we call that creativeness or gaming the system? Well, we call it whatever it takes to get the job done.

The place is absolutely beautiful. Cannot wait to see the finished product.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

My youngest sister is touring campus today, maybe they will let them get a sneak peek. She will be attending in the Fall over UT and A&M acceptances. Sibling count is now 2 UNT 2 UT.

Haha cool. I've got my younger sister at St Edwards and my younger brother at Tyler JuCo right now. I think he might follow our sister.

By the way, just a stickler about this but, it's the University Union. Not Student Union.

Very true, but for me it was and will always be the Student Union. I'll just try to refer to it as "The Union" from now on as a possible compromise. But, since it is technically a remodel...the Student Union still stands!

• Upvote 2

Very true, but for me it was and will always be the Student Union. I'll just try to refer to it as "The Union" from now on as a possible compromise. But, since it is technically a remodel...the Student Union still stands!

Any photos Mark?

Any photos Mark?

Yep, but I can never get a photo to upload to GMG.Com even with help. Always says "too large" even if one photo and then I see all these other uploads.

• 2 months later...