UNT 2015 Spring game in review

Blake (RS Freshman) was 15/23 233 yards 2 TD 0 INT. Do any of you know if UNT recruited him or UTSA Goree? Seems odd they split up?

He wanted to come here, but we weren't interested because he didn't have prototypical QB size.

We signed Josh Greer instead.

That has worked out soooo well...

• Upvote 2

He wanted to come here, but we weren't interested because he didn't have prototypical QB size.

Let the dogpiling on Greer cease... The kid has two years left and has worked his way into the #2 spot. You're right -- it did not work out as any of us hoped, but at least give the kid credit for fighting his way back up to respectability.

Couldn't make the game.
Just watched those highlights.
McNulty holding the ball way too long... on a highlight video. That 1st throw to Smiley was beautiful. The rest, not so much.

Dajon did look good. But he always looks good in these scrimmages. It's when he's in the fire when he looks terrible & lost.
Some busted coverage on that 2nd team secondary. Concerned about D-back depth quality.

Of course, I'm basing all of those opinions off of an 8min highlight video, so take it or leave it.

If I had to say we signed anyone instead of Bogenschutz that class, I would say it was Connor Means, considering they were both high school seniors while Greer was a JUCO transfer. The early returns on Means have been underwhelming, especially considering this was already his second spring and he still was 4th, until Dajon was put behind him as punishment (motivation?).

Blake (RS Freshman) was 15/23 233 yards 2 TD 0 INT. Do any of you know if UNT recruited him or UTSA Goree? Seems odd they split up?

We recruited him but we passed. We have offered 1 QB in the last 4 recruiting cycles who was under 6'3", and that was JT Barrett who signed with Ohio State. Mccarney wants tall QBs and Bogenschutz did not fit that mold. And yes, UTSA offered and recruited Goree.

Let the dogpiling on Greer cease... The kid has two years left and has worked his way into the #2 spot. You're right -- it did not work out as any of us hoped, but at least give the kid credit for fighting his way back up to respectability.

Not dog piling on Greer. Not his fault. The fault lies with the person that evaluated and recruited Greer.

If you mean he has worked his way into being McNulty light, then ok. That wasn't the expectation by anyone connected with this program when he signed.

And Billy is right. I forgot Means was in that class, also. But they all play the same position. Maybe we were just going to take one HS QB that class, but the fact remains that the UTSA kid has put himself in a position to contribute to his team in his second season. Neither Means nor Greer have been able to do that.

And we passed on that UTSA kid.

• Upvote 1

Call me a conspiracy theorist with a tin foil hat but I see it this way. Consider this my online stroke moment(Dave Barnett migraine moment).

Mac is going to make McNulty the starter. Coach Mac has done everything he could to allow his buddy's son leave his mark as a college quarterback(at the only place he had a chance in hell of seeing the field at the D1 level).

What other school in FBS history would've put in a true freshman quarterback with ZERO other FBS offers in a goalline set to score the first touchdown in the history of its brand new stadium?

Derek Thompson was better than most give him credit for. If he weren't an upperclassman and not quite as good, McNulty would've started the 2012 season.

I think Mac knows that Damarcus Smith will not qualify but had to sign a talented qb to make it look like he attempted to improve the qb situation. When Smith doesn't qualify in the fall, Mac will say that he hadn't planned on that and will have to go with the number 1 he trusts in senior Andrew McNulty.

Dajon Williams will not rise above #3 on the depth chart during the 2015 season unless injuries require it. With Josh Greer between McNulty and Williams, Mac knows people won't be begging for McNulty to be benched in favor of Greer.

The 2016 will be the season to look forward to, McNulty will be gone and I wouldn't be terribly surprised if McCarney follows him after setting his buddy's kid up with the best college legacy he possible could. 2016 without McNulty will allow for a true, unbiased, quarterback competition. Williams will likely win the competition with Means as his backup. We will have offensive production in 2016 as good or better than we did in 2012. We will win conference and go bowling in 2016. We just have to ride out McNulty's senior season.

If anyone besides McNulty (and he is healthy) starts the SMU game I will be "head sewn to the carpet" shocked. If it goes the way I expect, I will give up on the 2015 season. Chad Morris is not June Jones. Morris will actually understand the importance of this game to the fans. Jones just didn't care. I don't want to be embarrassed in front of their a-hole fans just because McCarney wants to give his adopted son the title of starting D1 quarterback.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

The dog-piling should continue, but not on Greer. Rather it should be on the coaching staff for continuing to believe he has the tools to be an FBS QB. Greer is obviously a better practice QB than in game QB and the staff rewards him for that. However, when the bullets start flying he just cant hang.

• Upvote 4

Wasn't able to make it to the game, but from what I could see in the highlights, and to be fair they were offense highlights, the LBs weren't looking so hot. Saw similar mistakes from last year, leaving the safeties to mop up.

Can anyone that was there shed any light on what they saw from the LBs?

• Upvote 2

Wasn't able to make it to the game, but from what I could see in the highlights, and to be fair they were offense highlights, the LBs weren't looking so hot. Saw similar mistakes from last year, leaving the safeties to mop up.

Can anyone that was there shed any light on what they saw from the LBs?

finney and bean looked good to me against the run. saw 32 in coverage. was beat on two TDs, but thats a hard cover. he did have a few PBUs also. like i said in another thread, we most likely be in nickel against a spread offense. if not, i would like to see finney in coverage instead.

• Upvote 3

finney and bean looked good to me against the run. saw 32 in coverage. was beat on two TDs, but thats a hard cover. he did have a few PBUs also. like i said in another thread, we most likely be in nickel against a spread offense. if not, i would like to see finney in coverage instead.

Thanks. At the 8:07 mark, using the highlight reel up top, really exemplifies what I mean about the LBs. Other instances: 1:02, 2:10, 2:35, 3:08.

The dog-piling should continue, but not on Greer. Rather it should be on the coaching staff for continuing to believe he has the tools to be an FBS QB. Greer is obviously a better practice QB than in game QB and the staff rewards him for that. However, when the bullets start flying he just cant hang.

I really can't dispute your valid point on his in-game play. Spring is used as an evaluation tool however and he fared pretty well in that particular regard.

If I had to say we signed anyone instead of Bogenschutz that class, I would say it was Connor Means, considering they were both high school seniors while Greer was a JUCO transfer. The early returns on Means have been underwhelming, especially considering this was already his second spring and he still was 4th, until Dajon was put behind him as punishment (motivation?).

We recruited him but we passed. We have offered 1 QB in the last 4 recruiting cycles who was under 6'3", and that was JT Barrett who signed with Ohio State. Mccarney wants tall QBs and Bogenschutz did not fit that mold. And yes, UTSA offered and recruited Goree.

Help me on this. Wouldn't the hurry up offense imply a faster, quicker QB (not usually tall)? I am getting lost following the offensive scheme and matching it to the players brought in. Any help is appreciated.Thanks again for your help. I don't have the luxury of local media and events to gleen information.

Edited by UTSA Fan

Help me on this. Wouldn't the hurry up offense imply a faster, quicker QB (not usually tall)? I am getting lost following the offensive scheme and matching it to the players brought in. Any help is appreciated.Thanks again for your help. I don't have the luxury of local media and events to gleen information.

How you space the field and how fast your tempo is are different dynamics.

You can spread the field and need a pocket guy if all you want to do is stand still and get it to someone else.

You can also try to run only 30 offensive snaps with zone reads and options all game, if you have a 6'0" guy that can run and you don't need him to see over the lines as well.

There are others around here that can explain better than myself.

Edited by greenminer

In our case this emphasis on the hurry-up and spread is new. We have been a heavy under-center offense to this point with Mccarney. He wants TL stay under center and pound the ball. But it looks like we're trying to change things up. Our offense has not been our strength and it might need to be this year.
  • Upvote 1

I grabbed a few photos with my new camera Saturday from the game. I'll gladly post a few if some of you are interested.

I'm more of a video guy, but lighting, shading and focal points all work the same, so this is my first shot at action stills. I'd love to share what I've done with you guys.

• Upvote 3

I grabbed a few photos with my new camera Saturday from the game. I'll gladly post a few if some of you are interested.

I'm more of a video guy, but lighting, shading and focal points all work the same, so this is my first shot at action stills. I'd love to share what I've done with you guys.

Would love to see them. Thanks for that.