UNT 2015 Spring game in review

Have these been 10 yard catch and 50 yard run for TDs or true deep balls thrown on the money to an in stride receiver?

The 58-yarder to Smiley in the 1st Q was a dime. The rest have been short throws and long runs.

Brett Vito is riding his/Mac's agenda hard. McNulty has NOT looked like the best QB today. He has the most yards simply by playing with the 1's (YAC) and having far more reps. He also has the lowest completion % of all QB's that have touched the field. He's dancing around a bunch and jetting from the pocket to throw wobblers.

DW looked serviceable and confident and Mac won't let us see much more so we can't pressure him. It's obvious what is going on in this athletic department and it's a damn outrage.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

My quick hitters on offense...

QB
- Dajon is our one C-USA caliber guy right now
- McNulty would make a solid 2nd team QB
- Impressed with Means - still young but lots of composure and leadership - team reacts well to him

RB
- Wilson is a definite #1 (O-Line didn't help him much today)
- Ivery and Ezzard are really fast - great change of pace

WR

- Harris is a stud

- Goree is going to be a stud

TE

- Loving looked much better today than I've seen in the past - nice game

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I absolutely hate the play calling im seeing... I am not a football genius but this is so predictable and it just doesn't work. If the offense is bad again this year, I think Canales is gone.

how many years in a row has this statement been uttered?

• Upvote 3

My quick hitters on offense...

QB

- Dajon is our one C-USA caliber guy right now

- McNulty would make a solid 2nd team QB

- Impressed with Means - still young but lots of composure and leadership - team reacts well to him

RB

- Wilson is a definite #1 (O-Line didn't help him much today)

- Ivery and Ezzard are really fast - great change of pace

WR

- Harris is a stud

- Goree is going to be a stud

TE

- Loving looked much better today than I've seen in the past - nice game

Lots of good things came out of that scrimmage, short of Greer's performance. Greer would go backwards or get sacked or just give the ball away. Williams would take the same squad and score or get near the red zone. I hope the coaches see something in Greer we don't see.

I coached a lot of Spring games.

Goal #1 is to stay healthy.

Goal #2 is to be vanilla.

If you were expecting to see the new stuff today, you were only kidding yourself.

All of that will come in Dallas in September.

The Spring game has zero value to the coaches.

It is only there for the parents and the alumni.

Enjoy it for what it is.

Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Lots of good things came out of that scrimmage, short of Greer's performance. Greer would go backwards or get sacked or just give the ball away. Williams would take the same squad and score or get near the red zone. I hope the coaches see something in Greer we don't see.

What the coaches saw was a guy who was a turnover machine last year. Of the QBs currently in the roster, he is the best option, but ONLY if he still isn't a turnover machine.

Should Coach Mac let him demonstrate he has learned from his mistakes last year and make him the #1 guy? Sure, but for that to happen, DW would have had to go almost turnover free in Spring ball. We all know that didn't happen, so now we sit with the least talented starting QB in all of FCS coming out of Spring.

Unless DS comes in, plays completely turnover free in the fall, and sets the world on fire in practice, this thing is headed for 3-9, at best.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I've been watching the Mean Green for over a decade, and that was the worst Spring Game I have ever seen. The score and the lack of crowd excitement should be troubling the athletic department. Our RBs, TEs, and WRs all look good. I don't believe our QB situation is any better then it was last season.

The only good passes McNulty threw were against blown coverage or no coverage. In the end, he couldn't get it done against the 2's or 4's. Dijon split time with Greer in the first half and barely played in the second half, but still accounted for 2 of the 3TDs the White team scored. Was he perfect? No. Was he better then McNulty? Yes. And, Dijon did it against the starters.

After yet another Spring Game.... I wish I could have seen Williams with the first team. I just don't understand what's going on with our staff.

• Upvote 5

Funny...those pre-disposed to be positive about certain QB's are showing their bias, those pre-disposed regarding other QB's are displaying their bias...imagine that!

My take...not one...not one QB out there today is a where near ready to start against SMU...not one.

Agree that Means looks to have a bright future. Sure wish someone I saw today had a bright present. But, still plenty of time for the lights to turn on for one talented QB (see Sir Calvin whose lights appear to have definitely come on), the ability of another to look off defenders and not lock in on one at the time the huddle breaks and for another to play in a game as well as he plays at practice. And, let us all not forget that a possible bit of help is working to become eligible in the fall.

Hope people...there is always hope. But, that's what I got out of the QB play today...a bunch of hope...that is all.

The good news in my opinion...no problem at receiver or RB on offense.

And, I think when fall ball is over, the defense will be fine. Now, about that QB position? And what is up with all the low snaps?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Sp

Funny...those pre-disposed to be positive about certain QB's are showing their bias, those pre-disposed regarding other QB's are displaying their bias...imagine that!

My take...not one...not one QB out there today is a where near ready to start against SMU...not one.

Agree that Means looks to have a bright future. Sure wish someone I saw today had a bright present. But, still plenty of time for the lights to turn on for one talented QB (see Sir Calvin whose lights appear to have definitely come on), the ability of another to look off defenders and not lock in on one at the time the huddle breaks and for another to play in a game as well as he plays at practice. And, let us all not forget that a possible bit of help is working to become eligible in the fall.

Hope people...there is always hope. But, that's what I got out of the QB play today...a bunch of hope...that is all.

The good news in my opinion...no problem at receiver or RB on offense.

And, I think when fall ball is over, the defense will be fine. Now, about that QB position? And what is up with all the low snaps?

Speaking of bias...

Meangreensports.com has a VERY misleading story on the front page. Yes, McNulty threw three touchdowns...thanks to great runs after the catch from Turner Smiley against backups. As someone already mentioned, unless the receiver was WIDE ASS open, he wasn't doing much. That's why he had a sub .500 completion percentage...against our backups.

It was abundantly clear that Mac's mind is made up and that we get to suffer the consequences...all five home games this year. At least nobody will crowd us while we're in our seats.

• Upvote 4

I am trying so hard not to be pessimistic about next season but it is hard after getting burned so bad last year. I just don't see anyone besides Dajon that ever remotely looks like they are in a groove. Everything on offense just seems so disjointed and uncomfortable... that makes me nervous. I know it is spring game but the running game at least should have some pop and confidence to it by now right? time will tell.

• Upvote 2

Under 50% while throwing mostly short routes against a CUSA second team defense.

Iowa and Tennessee should be real fun...

I wonder how seasons have worked out when the 2nd and 4th teamers won the Spring game. It would be interesting to know.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Dajon and Means each had nice games today.

McNulty sucks. No arm strength, holds the ball forever, cant hit routine elementary passing tree throws that are being completed at junior high schools all around Denton County. If our staff is set on him, it'll be a terribly long season.

Good news is that WR, TE, and RB are all looking solid.

Let's hope we figure out how to get DeMarcus eligible

• Upvote 2