Is there really a hardcore sports rivalry between Dallas and Houston? As a dfw native and fan of the teams in that area I don't really see it.

Rangers and Astros: don't see it, we've only been in the same division for two seasons. There's no real bad blood between the two teams like the Rangers have with the A's and Angels. I've never thought of the 'Stros as a rival, they've just been another team in a different league, that's pretty much it. i guess if you think the silver boot is really rad then it's a rivalry, but does anybody really care about that? (The answer should be no, it was a horrible idea to start with, and it's dumb they still do it).

Cowboys and Texans: As a Cowboys fan, I could care less about the Texans. I don't mean that in a rude way, they just don't register as a rival, at all. Texans have only been around since 2002, they are in a different conference, they don't play enough to make it mean anything. It's always seemed to me that Texans fans try to make this a rivalry way more than Cows fans do. Cows have rivals in the Redskins, Eagles and Giants. When they play those teams it means something, not so much for the Texans.

Mavs and rockets: Meh, maybe the closest thing to a sports rivalry between the two cities? Mavs have the Spurs, I don't like the rockets, but I have never seen them as a rival.

Am I off base with this fellow dfw sports fans?

Is there really a hardcore sports rivalry between Dallas and Houston? As a dfw native and fan of the teams in that area I don't really see it.

Rangers and Astros: don't see it, we've only been in the same division for two seasons. There's no real bad blood between the two teams like the Rangers have with the A's and Angels. I've never thought of the 'Stros as a rival, they've just been another team in a different league, that's pretty much it. i guess if you think the silver boot is really rad then it's a rivalry, but does anybody really care about that? (The answer should be no, it was a horrible idea to start with, and it's dumb they still do it).

Cowboys and Texans: As a Cowboys fan, I could care less about the Texans. I don't mean that in a rude way, they just don't register as a rival, at all. Texans have only been around since 2002, they are in a different conference, they don't play enough to make it mean anything. It's always seemed to me that Texans fans try to make this a rivalry way more than Cows fans do. Cows have rivals in the Redskins, Eagles and Giants. When they play those teams it means something, not so much for the Texans.

Mavs and rockets: Meh, maybe the closest thing to a sports rivalry between the two cities? Mavs have the Spurs, I don't like the rockets, but I have never seen them as a rival.

Am I off base with this fellow dfw sports fans?

They aren't a sports rival because historically and recently (looking at win-loss records statistically of Major Sports teams) they don't even come close to DFW sports success. In fact, the closest in Texas is San Antonio, who only has basketball. Championship-wise, it's Dallas: 7, San Antonio: 5, Houston:2.

Well there's a lot to dislike about Houston, especially growing up there. Parts of it are ugly, parts are ghetto, and if you don't grow up with the weather you hate it. It is what you make of it. I grew up there but until recently never explored half of the cool areas of town such as Midtown. But it's a wide ranging urban city with no zoning so it can change within a block. I do always find these arguments hilarious because I can find equally as many DFW transplants in Houston who hate DFW. It's literally the same anywhere you go.

Haven't spent a ton of time in Houston but my impression has always been that they are pretty much the same. Similarity breeds contempt I suppose. Just about every Texan will live in both at some point in their lives. I felt the same about DFW until I lived in both Dallas and Fort Worth urban centers and not the suburbs anymore and discovered lots of new places.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I applaud Ryan for at least sticking up for his hometown. Everyone I know from Houston trashes it way more than I do. I actually find myself defending it to them saying things like "hey, but at least its close to the ocean right little buddy?"

i grew up in flour bluff (NAS corpus christi)...right on the water...still a shiat hole...

i like the horse track in houston...very easy to get too...hit that up every year...

Edited by THOR

As my new job is in the H-Town craft market...I'd have to heavily disagree...both cities are pretty similar, tbh.

We finally agree. Although, I feel bad for anyone who limits themselves only to Texas beer. Even the local brewers know not to do that - and losing tap space for Stone and Green Flash because Lakewood has a new sweat sock flavored IPA is a downer for everybody.

• Upvote 4

We finally agree. Although, I feel bad for anyone who limits themselves only to Texas beer. Even the local brewers know not to do that - and losing tap space for Stone and Green Flash because Lakewood has a new sweat sock flavored IPA is a downer for everybody.

I agree for the most part, but give me Community's Mosaic over Stone or Green Flash.

I applaud Ryan for at least sticking up for his hometown. Everyone I know from Houston trashes it way more than I do. I actually find myself defending it to them saying things like "hey, but at least its close to the ocean right little buddy?"

Which is clearly a limited sample size.

There's a lot to love about Houston. But it's certainly easier to trash a place than it is to spend any significant time in it. Having spent a lot of time in both Houston and Dallas (and Austin and Nashville -- and a handful of other cities) you learn that most places are the same in that you can find what you dig almost anywhere.

Like the beer, there's not that much that's noticeably different between Houston and Dallas -- if you know where to go to find it.

But it's sure fun to mock and ridicule things we don't know or understand, isn't it?

I agree for the most part, but give me Community's Mosaic over Stone or Green Flash.

Best IPA in Dallas (and my favorite brewery besides Martin House - although a lot have opened since I left Texas.)

Le Freak is my favorite beer and I am a sucker for the Stone Drink By's...but there is absolutely no way to criticize anyone's taste in beers once you hit a certain point of customization.

Best IPA in Dallas (and my favorite brewery besides Martin House - although a lot have opened since I left Texas.)

Le Freak is my favorite beer and I am a sucker for the Stone Drink By's...but there is absolutely no way to criticize anyone's taste in beers once you hit a certain point of customization.

http://beerdbrewing.com/ - just over the CT border

http://www.newenglandbrewing.com/ - for when you come visit

Depends if you count soccer, but yeah, I agree. Historically Dallas is way more successful. The tensions come because while Houston really hasn't had much success recently, Houston hasn't had much at all. Astros/Rangers is really only two franchises on equal footing, maybe Mavs/Rockets but the two cities aren't big into basketball enough and both have their own rivalries instead.

My bad blood is just the fact that Dallas fans smack talk and don't even smack talk the team, it's always "Houston smells bad" or whatever. I mean they started chanting "Houston sucks" at the Mavs game and "Houston smells like shit" when we played Rice. It's just pathetic because it's not too different from lifting a Chevy S10 and putting [bold]truck nuts[/bold] on it.

We're all Texas, who cares? Houston and Dallas couldn't be more different and for the most part live independently of one another. Dallas's Houston sucks obsession is just bizarre.

Truck nuts. Now there is a phrase that is under used in most conversations.

Bravo!

Are you serious? Karbach has nothing on Saint Arnold's brewery and tasting room. Sure, I'm biased because I'm now an employee there, but I applied there because I love it so much. I really don't think outside of Hopadillo that Karbach even comes close.

Also, if you haven't enjoyed SA beer, check out more than their mainstream stuff. The Endeavour Double IPA is my favorite beer, period. Pumpkinator is gold, and the Bishop's Barrel/Divine Reserve lines are some of the best craft in Texas.

An entirely subjective statement, of course. But I don't have a financial interest in the success of either. Pumpkinator is great. As are the BB and DR series. In fact, there's a lot of great beer, food, and culture in this city. I really think you'll enjoy digging into it.

Karbach is just a really cool hang on a Saturday afternoon and they've got a great new space opening which will include a restaurant, tasting room, etc. Had several friends in for a bachelor party last month and they all really enjoyed it. I just prefer their beer. But that doesn't take anything away from Saint Arnold, of course. It's a big city; there's room for everyone. Hell, my recommendation is to experience both if you're visiting and you've experienced neither. Saint Arnold is an important part of Houston's beer scene -- and the craft brewing scene in general. I hope it is a great experience for you. Aside from beer, they're very supportive of the community in general, including providing space for many charity functions I've been a part of. Which as you referenced, is made better by having the indoor great room.

I've spent several years here. I actually live here on purpose. We've had many opportunities to live elsewhere -- in more "desirable" locations -- but we like it here. So I'm always glad to provide you (or anyone else) a list of off-the-beaten-path, must-dos in Houston -- the wheres and whys of how we came to love this town.

Lastly, I don't really care how many championships a city has. If I did, I'd move to Boston. I'm interested in the pulse, the vibe, and the opportunity a place has to offer. Right now, Houston's got all of it in spades.

To each his own.

Edited by Eagle1855

The best part of this has been watching Munthe annoy every other reasonable Houston person in the thread. Bravo everyone.

Also, will be teeing up Beer'd in the near future...and it's a decent halfway point as well, CBL.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Hmm. Don't think I was annoying Eagle, but K.

He's got a totally reasonable opinion that I disagreed with and I get why. Didn't trash his opinion. But I haven't gotten to dig in enough, as he said. I haven't tried as much Karbach, and didn't like their hall as much as St Arnold, but I haven't been there enough.

Your post really doesn't make much sense.

And I don't think you get the way you constantly come across, but you're getting closer each time you change screen names and getting out of school will help. Best of luck at Saint Arnolds...very much like Rahr in that it is good beer that helped pave the way for a ton of other great stuff.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Which of the five Astros runs has been everyone's favorite? The homerun is always the flashy choice, but I liked the execution of the sacrifice fly.

EDIT: Defend that, Spencer Patton fans.

Edited by Quoner
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Also, as someone who agrees with you about Houston, definitely PM me suggestions, if you wouldn't mind. I love what I know of it and what I experienced. I grew up there, but in the suburbs and didn't explore too much in the grand scheme of things.

Will do.

I think that's the key to enjoying most cities. I grew up in a suburb. Hadn't any plans to move back to the Houston area after college (in truth, didn't have much of a plan). But it was a different world living in the actual city. Same goes for most other Texas cities. The urban centers of Dallas, FW, Austin, SA all offer great experiences -- which is why I generally don't get involved in whose city is better. Usually comes down to which one a person comes from, which specific experience they enjoyed.

Also, summer is hot in Texas and traffic is terrible everywhere.

And yes, I'm completely ignoring the topic at hand, on account of being totally bummed about the sweep. Fortunately, it's long season and it's a young team. And hope springs eternal in Houston, where there's always next year.

Edited by Eagle1855