Well, at least I have the Cardinals if the Rangers bring back Hamilton. Will sure save me some dollars not going to Ranger games as long as that guy us on the roster. Thanks Rangers! Absolutely cannot understand this possible pick-up. The Angels are dumping a guy that has been an absolute bust for them and the Rangers are picking up a druggie who seems to spend a portion of each season on the DL while disrespecting the city, team and fans who he know may be re-joining. Yep, desperate teams do desperate things. Daniels is grasping at straws. Too bad. Used to have a lot of hope and respect for Daniels...used to.

• Downvote 5

Well, at least I have the Cardinals if the Rangers bring back Hamilton. Will sure save me some dollars not going to Ranger games as long as that guy us on the roster. Thanks Rangers! Absolutely cannot understand this possible pick-up. The Angels are dumping a guy that has been an absolute bust for them and the Rangers are picking up a druggie who seems to spend a portion of each season on the DL while disrespecting the city, team and fans who he know may be re-joining. Yep, desperate teams do desperate things. Daniels is grasping at straws. Too bad. Used to have a lot of hope and respect for Daniels...used to.

We got him for less than $7mill over the next three years, we basically got him for free. Not that bad of a deal.

Edited by mattmartin817
  • Upvote 2

We got him for less than $7mill over the next three years, we basically got him for free. Not that bad of a deal.

So I would hope all of these people would expect $7mil/yr production from the guy.

But he's more likely to be drubbed by everyone if he's not putting up his MVP #s.

There are going to be sports dummies who are fans of his because of his salvation story.

There are going to be sports dummies who hate him because he's so outspoken about his faith, yet slips up so publicly.

There are going to be Rangers fans who hate him myopically because of the Oakland play-in game and his slump leading up to it.

There are going to be Rangers fans who love him because of his feats here during the 'glory years'.

None of those reasons should be part of the conclusions drawn from this trade. This was a trade that (hopefully) works out better for the Rangers than it does for the Angels, based on a need for a Corner OF.

JD knows how to deal with him. I wouldn't be surprised to find Narron back in the fold as his steward.

And he can't be any worse than Choo.

• Upvote 2

Good grief! After listening to Hamilton's press conference today, which he seemed a bit combative with very little humility or appreciation to still have a job, my original thought when I first heard of his return is confirmed........John Daneils must have lost his mind?

Rick

Without getting into the other stuff, it's very likely this deal was the idea of your red-white-and-blue, oil-loving owners than JD.

• Upvote 1

Good grief! After listening to Hamilton's press conference today, which he seemed a bit combative with very little humility or appreciation to still have a job, my original thought when I first heard of his return is confirmed........John Daneils must have lost his mind?

Rick

The Rangers did not save his job. The Angels are still on the hook for paying him $80 million over the next three years whether he played or not.

Not sure how likely it is that he will still be playing 4 years from now when someone would have to give him a new contract.

I remember when the Rangers first brought him in when he was at risk of washing out of baseball. He did not seem overly thankful at the time and was almost combative then. Just seems like his personality.

He does not strike me as a particularly nice person, but because he has/had a skill that was rare, people tended to overlook the attitude.

Edited by greenit

Just to clarify, we will pay him 7 mill (somewhere in that neighborhood) over 3 years not 7 per year. He can potentially contribute, and this team is in desperate need of a corner OF. I'll take goofball Hamilton over smolinski just about any day. And again, if he becomes a pain in the ass, we cut him without being out a lot of money.

As for his press conference, he did seem a little combative, but I think that's just his press conference personality. Every other question is about his addiction and struggles with drugs and booze, I imagine that would get extremely exhausting and even embarrassing to constantly have that brought up.

I don't really like the guy (don't really dislike him either), but I hope he can get it together. He's got a lot of demons that most of us don't really understand. If it works out, this could be a pretty great redemption story.

Just to clarify, we will pay him 7 mill (somewhere in that neighborhood) over 3 years not 7 per year. He can potentially contribute, and this team is in desperate need of a corner OF. I'll take goofball Hamilton over smolinski just about any day. And again, if he becomes a pain in the ass, we cut him without being out a lot of money.

As for his press conference, he did seem a little combative, but I think that's just his press conference personality. Every other question is about his addiction and struggles with drugs and booze, I imagine that would get extremely exhausting and even embarrassing to constantly have that brought up.

I don't really like the guy (don't really dislike him either), but I hope he can get it together. He's got a lot of demons that most of us don't really understand. If it works out, this could be a pretty great redemption story.

Good catch. So you should actually compare his production to any other dude who earns ~$2.5mil/yr. I.E.: Don't expect much.

The Astros April 28th division title is going to look awesome next to the first Silver Boot in a decade and that one WS attendance, did not win a game trophy they keep buried under that stupid hill.

Is that the pat on the head you were looking for, Cerebus?

(The problem to responding to you in good nature is it summons Munthe and then nothing is fun ever again.)

Now, on to a fun hypothetical: would FFR and the absolute perfect embodiment of a Cardinals fan Kram be happier if Hamilton had just had an Oscar Tavares offseason and spared them the effort of having to deal with the indignity of watching a press conference?

• Upvote 1

Now, on to a fun hypothetical: would FFR and the absolute perfect embodiment of a Cardinals fan Kram be happier if Hamilton had just had an Oscar Tavares offseason and spared them the effort of having to deal with the indignity of watching a press conference?

would never happen...dude doesn't do anything half-assed.

I think we'd be looking at more a Cory Lidle meets Steve Olin & Tim Crews hybrid. perhaps somehow involving a hang-glider, flippers...and maybe a really worn down Faith +1 CD

• Upvote 1

Is that the pat on the head you were looking for, Cerebus?

You forgot the fact that we also already won the 2017 SI Hypothetical World Series:

sc41eD6.jpg

Looking at those marmalade uniforms... my god... they are almost too beautiful ...

In all seriousness from 2010-13 the Astros went 238-410 (Rangers went 370-279) so yes Astros people are just ecstatic to just not be god awful, first place at any point of the season is sheer insanity.

I think you guys just signed Rondo Jr., he is going to do nothing good for that clubhouse, a clubhouse that is about to be flooded by young impressionable players. Rangers aren't going to win for a few years, why is he sucking up at bats? Develop the youth.

Seems like a desperate move to sell tickets.

You forgot the fact that we also already won the 2017 SI Hypothetical World Series:

sc41eD6.jpg

Looking at those marmalade uniforms... my god... they are almost too beautiful ...

In all seriousness from 2010-13 the Astros went 238-410 (Rangers went 370-279) so yes Astros people are just ecstatic to just not be god awful, first place at any point of the season is sheer insanity.

I think you guys just signed Rondo Jr., he is going to do nothing good for that clubhouse, a clubhouse that is about to be flooded by young impressionable players. Rangers aren't going to win for a few years, why is he sucking up at bats? Develop the youth.

I'll give them this, Altuve is my favorite player to watch so far.

Rick

sc41eD6.jpg

I remember those years - that was 2008/2009 here. Bandwagon not quite full, plenty of local naysayers and the rest of America just scoffing. Then Nolan Ryan came down from his magic cloud and blessed everything with beef and Advil and it all came together.

Also, for the OF prospects, who he is blocking? There's stop gap young talent until the promising guys are ready in 2-3 years. If something changes or he doesn't produce, you cut him. He's not being asked to lead the team and I'd be more concerned about the example Elvis is setting than anything Hamilton is going to do or not do. I am pretty neutral on the move as a cheap, low risk baseball decision, but I love that it is making the people who feel hook line and sinker for the Hamilton narrative now have to stay angry or lash out at someone. God's not supposed to have gray areas! Also, if he sucks, he sells about 40,000 tickets over the course of a long homestand and then no one cares.

• Upvote 1

I remember those years - that was 2008/2009 here. Bandwagon not quite full, plenty of local naysayers and the rest of America just scoffing. Then Nolan Ryan came down from his magic cloud and blessed everything with beef and Advil and it all came together.

Also, for the OF prospects, who he is blocking? There's stop gap young talent until the promising guys are ready in 2-3 years. If something changes or he doesn't produce, you cut him. He's not being asked to lead the team and I'd be more concerned about the example Elvis is setting than anything Hamilton is going to do or not do. I am pretty neutral on the move as a cheap, low risk baseball decision, but I love that it is making the people who feel hook line and sinker for the Hamilton narrative now have to stay angry or lash out at someone. God's not supposed to have gray areas! Also, if he sucks, he sells about 40,000 tickets over the course of a long homestand and then no one cares.

Wouldn't you say Nolan came through and fixed the Rangers foundation with Olshan? I guess they didn't get the lifetime transferable warranty.

• Upvote 3

Wouldn't you say Nolan came through and fixed the Rangers foundation with Olshan? I guess they didn't get the lifetime transferable warranty.

I hope the juice box stays closed...all it takes is a few snow monkeys and everything you've built can be torn to shreds in a blink of an eye (or a leaked email, or a botched draft, or building a roster that doesn't get on base...)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Now, on to a fun hypothetical: would the absolute perfect embodiment of a Cardinals fan Kram be happier if Hamilton had just had an Oscar Tavares offseason and spared them the effort of having to deal with the indignity of watching a press conference?

BTW...I've been a Cardinals fan since 1953. So, there's that. But, don't worry...Cardinals ace pitcher just went down for the season with a torn achilles. We will see what move the Red Birds make to try to plug a glaring hole in their line up. But, at the moment they lead the division without having to scrape the bottom of the barrel for a player long last his prime and soon to once again grace the DL where he can shoot his mouth off again about how poorly the Rangers treated him while looking around for another snort and shot.

Hamilton couldn't even manage a press conference with a little humility....hey, "they knew what they were getting"... Well, so do the Rangers. Same thing the Angels got.

• Downvote 2

BTW...I've been a Cardinals fan since 1953. So, there's that. But, don't worry...Cardinals ace pitcher just went down for the season with a torn achilles. We will see what move the Red Birds make to try to plug a glaring hole in their line up. But, at the moment they lead the division without having to scrape the bottom of the barrel for a player long last his prime and soon to once again grace the DL where he can shoot his mouth off again about how poorly the Rangers treated him while looking around for another snort and shot.

Hamilton couldn't even manage a press conference with a little humility....hey, "they knew what they were getting"... Well, so do the Rangers. Same thing the Angels got.

Kram, is that you?

https://twitter.com/KennyDucey/status/593051176502824960/photo/1

• Upvote 1

I hate baseball...except when I can deliver morality lectures.

/kids walk in the room

That's our Kram!

//credits roll as everyone gets milkshakes and the BestFansStLouis twitter sheds a single tear

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I hate baseball...except when I can deliver morality lectures.

/kids walk in the room

That's our Kram!

//credits roll as everyone gets milkshakes and the BestFansStLouis twitter sheds a single tear

"I don't always watch baseball, but when I do it will be the Cardinals."

Some folks could use a moral compass...they seem to have lost theirs. Have the Rangers just allowed Jerry to become their GM? Question....no answer.

• Upvote 2