MGB breaking news -- UNT set to hire Mitchell

Welcome home UNT Hall if Famer Jalie Mitchell....I will be renewing my WBB season tickets for sure.

PS...when you get the chance PM me and I'll remind you about the guy who will probably blow your inbox up with numerous emails and perhaps load up your phone with text messages...that is if you don't recall it from when you were Coach Aston's assistant here at UNT.

• Upvote 2

In person sometimes or always from afar?

Always?

How many times did he stand front row for WBB? Or are you talking about post graduation, when he moved to Arkansas for a few years?

Tony, I wouldn't make any attendance promises... You never know when someone is going to schedule a weenie roast.

Always?

How many times did he stand front row for WBB? Or are you talking about post graduation, when he moved to Arkansas for a few years?

Tony, I wouldn't make any attendance promises... You never know when someone is going to schedule a weenie roast.

No worries, i have been back here since late 2012. Just dont have a set work schedule so it hard to know...wish they had the games before the men's games

PS...when you get the chance PM me and I'll remind you about the guy who will probably blow your inbox up with numerous emails and perhaps load up your phone with text messages...that is if you don't recall it from when you were Coach Aston's assistant here at UNT.

tumblr_inline_n17jvdeRIJ1qjknlo.gif

Ok, I know we haven't had a press conference and maybe not even a signed contract yet. Seems like everyone agrees that if things are close, preference should go to an alum.

How long should her contract be for? I think she was making a little over $100k at UT. No past head coach experience

What are the expectations guys? Wins & loses and how long? We can just about blow off this recruiting season since I believe signing period starts next week.

Should there be a double standard for someone associated with the school vs an outsider?

Doesn't this hire make it extremely difficult for RV to make that tough call down the road? (if necessary)

I know Jalie's uncle well and hope her the best. I have mixed feelings on the selection though.

Ok, I know we haven't had a press conference and maybe not even a signed contract yet. Seems like everyone agrees that if things are close, preference should go to an alum.

How long should her contract be for? I think she was making a little over $100k at UT. No past head coach experience

What are the expectations guys? Wins & loses and how long? We can just about blow off this recruiting season since I believe signing period starts next week.

Should there be a double standard for someone associated with the school vs an outsider?

Doesn't this hire make it extremely difficult for RV to make that tough call down the road? (if necessary)

I know Jalie's uncle well and hope her the best. I have mixed feelings on the selection though.

Kind of where I'm at. I hope the contract is not longer than 4 years, but you are talking about an AD that goes straight off the script of a 1990s "How to be a College AD" $2 handbook, so I would expect the typical 5 year contract.

Expectations should be exactly the same as they would have been for any other coach.

If you haven't noticed, RV NEVER makes a tough call. Ever. So that is a mute point. He won't fire her until he has to fire her, just like with Stephens, Dodge, and Benford. 5-25 in the 3rd year isn't a tough call. This really isn't applicable.

You never blow off any recruiting season. Remember, she has made inroads with recruits that UT may not have room for. Recruits commit mainly because of coaches. I wouldn't be surprised to see a commitment a couple of days after she signs.

Expectations? She gets a pass in 16/17, needs to be at or VERY near .500 in 17/18 and win in her third year (20 games) of 18/19.

• Upvote 1

Why not win now? I've seen coaches in multiple sports will their team to winning seasons in their first year. Though I don't have any hard expectations, but it is her job to infuse expectations into this program. Every teacher must approach every student with expectations. If they don't, they'll be throwing darts in the dark.

The only thing UCONN's WBB HC talks about is expectations. Expectations infused into the fibers of a program does absolute wonders and carries a program for not only multiple seasons but for years to come. It's a word that could be thrown around a few more locker rooms at UNT. Expect greatness and let the chips fall where they may.

Always?

Really wouldn't matter..you wouldn't show up anyway. The light would probably be too bright for you.

Let's see...you attended zero WBB games last season,right? How'd you do on weenie's? Nightime roaster I am pretty sure.

I hear there is a guy who would love to join you in a weenie roast so you both could talk about a four year old successful fund-raiser. That's worth a real Ha Ha or two...and maybe you two could share a weenie.

And, as usual, the comment went right over you head. That's not hard for you, right Napolean?

Edited by KRAM1

Why not win now? I've seen coaches in multiple sports will their team to winning seasons in their first year. Though I don't have any hard expectations, but it is her job to infuse expectations into this program. Every teacher must approach every student with expectations. If they don't, they'll be throwing darts in the dark.

The only thing UCONN's WBB HC talks about is expectations. Expectations infused into the fibers of a program does absolute wonders and carries a program for not only multiple seasons but for years to come. It's a word that could be thrown around a few more locker rooms at UNT. Expect greatness and let the chips fall where they may.

There was a study a few years back about replacing a losing coach with a new coach across NCAA Division 1 athletics although it concentrated on football. In their first year across all of Division 1, most coaches did about the same of slightly better. I think it was around 60%. About 10% improved and about 30% showed a decline. The most interesting thing I read was they couldn't find a correlation between previous experience and first year results. Very successful coaches had terrible first years and total flops had great first years.

There was a LOT of improvement in years after the first, but statistically the first year is a pure crap shoot. Expectations or not, don't bet against basic math!

• Upvote 2

Since some people on here point to posts that approve of the Benford hiring as some kind of justification to keep him around, I'll put this out there considering that RV hires tend to suck:

This is a terrible hire, it won't work out, she's the wrong coach at the wrong time. Another mistake by RV, he should be fired.

• Upvote 3

NT needs someone to rebuild a program that is in shambles, I don't think that is a position with a person with no head coaching experience. As someone who actually bothers to go to girls games, I understand what an enormous challenge this job is. Aston left Petersen a very good squad, and even Stephens inherited a much better team than Mitchell will.

It is a popular decision much like the Dodge hire, but IMO also like the Dodge hire a high risk choice. However, it is an exciting choice that I hope proves me wrong.

• Upvote 1