MGB video: McCarney names top three in QB race

Brett Vito

The OL is calling a blocking scheme based in the gaps the DL are in. Completely separate from how many DL have their hand on the ground.

Apples/oranges.

I think what they're trying to say is that if coach Simmonds were to be talking about an "odd man" DL, you'd think he was referring to the gaps.

But when coach Cosh/Patrick is talking about an "odd man" DL, you'd think he was referring to the # of down linemen.

Perspective on where the comments are coming from.

• Upvote 1

^^^^^ WHAT HE SAID It is not up for debate, that is what it means

I'm going to end this debate, because everybody who has chimed in is correct.

Football coaches often use their own unique languages and sometimes depending on what group of guys you're working with, the same word can mean two different things.

So for UNT it may mean number of down linemen, center is covered, or shading alignments. The way Brett described it he probably meant number of down linemen because he probably didn't know about the other meanings.

I do know for a fact that some NFL teams have 3-4 even packages and 4-3 odd packages in their playbook. That's not from a video game either. That's from reaching out to trusted guys who've coached at all levels. So again it really comes down to what it means to the coach who is calling his defense odd or even.

If theyre calling it 3-4 even they're likely referring to the field being split right down the middle being even on both sides. Only time in 7 years of coaching, clinics, and camps, I've ever heard a 3-4 be refered to as even. Like you said coaches do have their own language but as far as a front go it is strictly based on number of down lineman.

I'm going to end this debate, because everybody who has chimed in is correct.

Football coaches often use their own unique languages and sometimes depending on what group of guys you're working with, the same word can mean two different things.

So for UNT it may mean number of down linemen, center is covered, or shading alignments. The way Brett described it he probably meant number of down linemen because he probably didn't know about the other meanings.

I do know for a fact that some NFL teams have 3-4 even packages and 4-3 odd packages in their playbook. That's not from a video game either. That's from reaching out to trusted guys who've coached at all levels. So again it really comes down to what it means to the coach who is calling his defense odd or even.

Yup. It became much more complicated then it had to be.

I chimed in on Adam's point saying as a center I was taught to make an odd call if I was covered. I also acknowledge this was just high school ball, and in 13 games my senior year, not once did I make an odd call (based on being covered) and it turned out there were still 4 down linemen. And our coaches knew that, so they didn't need to over-complicate things.

But yeah, Brett was most likely just referring to what the average person thinks of a 3-4. Where both sides of this "argument" are correct.

Edited by BillySee58