MGB video: McCarney names top three in QB race

Brett Vito

I think a lot of this odd front stuff has to do with Chad Polk and them playing to his strengths. I think they are giving him an opportunity to stand up and use his quickness to get to the QB in comparison him being down in a 3 point would allow an OT to get his hands on him quicker. This is also Cosh putting his fingerprints on the defense as Aldo is mentioning, a little 3-4/3-5-5. This will be good, by doing this it will allow the most athletic, fastest and best tackling 11 on the field.

Chad Polk's a solid pass rusher, but I seriously doubt we'd change our scheme for a guy who isn't in our first huddle. Cosh has run some of this in his defense before, and I'm sure it's just something he wants to implement. We're just mixing it in, but that will help guys like Polk.
  • Upvote 1

If we are still considering Greer as our #2 option, then God help us! After watching him last year against Texas, he is not an option, IMHO.

Lastly, if our coaching staff has missed on all of these quarterbacks, Means, Greer, McNulty, and the rest of the cast, then shame on them! We can't get one good QB to play for North Texas??? That is totally unacceptable!

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 4

i would think Tune, right? was there that much doubt that he was going to start in 2010?

There was a battle between Tune and DT right up almost to the opening game. Most of the board was pulling for DT.

I would say that going into the 2012 season, there was no doubt it would be DT. And going into 2009, there was no doubt it would be Riley.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 1

Its almost as if people are surprised that McNulty is Mac's guy...of course he's gonna start. He's the only QB on the enitre roster that Coach Mac trusts. Its never gonna be Greer because he doesn't trust him on the field. Its not gonna be Dajon because he doesn't trust him on or off the field. Even if the Juco QB can get here and be eligible, he won't have any of Mac's trust--he might be the second-string backup QB at best this season.

• Upvote 1

Its almost as if people are surprised that McNulty is Mac's guy...of course he's gonna start. He's the only QB on the enitre roster that Coach Mac trusts. Its never gonna be Greer because he doesn't trust him on the field. Its not gonna be Dajon because he doesn't trust him on or off the field. Even if the Juco QB can get here and be eligible, he won't have any of Mac's trust--he might be the second-string backup QB at best this season.

mcnulty is the best qb on the roster. it could change with some development and tweaks to the offense, but as of right now, he's the starter cause no one else is better. not because he is macs guy.

There was a battle between Tune and DT right up almost to the opening game. Most of the board was pulling for DT.

I would say that going into the 2012 season, there was no doubt it would be DT. And going into 2009, there was no doubt it would be Riley.

After DT's awful 2011 season there was an open QB competition all through spring and fall camp. It just seems like we've never had a QB coming back after a good season that had everyone confident in what we had at the most important position on the field.

I hope Canales is feeling the pressure. I would be fine with McNulty if the game plan played to his strengths. There have been plenty of successful college QB's that didn't have rocket arms. Danny Weurffel and Steve Walsh come to mind that excelled in systems that played to their strengths. It seems that we don't ever alter the game plan, throw the same passes over and over and are extremely predictable.

After DT's awful 2011 season there was an open QB competition all through spring and fall camp. It just seems like we've never had a QB coming back after a good season that had everyone confident in what we had at the most important position on the field.

I might be getting my years wrong. I guess it was the 2011 season when there was no doubt DT would be the starter.

I might add that Vizza was definitely the starter going into 2008.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 1

Odd front refers to the shaded-ness of the Center you guys. Has nothing to do with the number of lineman.

are you sure??? a 3-4 is an odd man front because of the 3 lineman. even if both outside linebackers walk up there would technically still be an odd number of "lineman"

4-3 is an even front.

I might be getting my years wrong. I guess it was the 2011 season when there was no doubt DT would be the starter.

I might add that Vizza was definitely the starter going into 2008.

Thompson was the no doubt number 1 going into the 2012 season. His 2011 season was not awful. Not much was asked of him, but he had 11 touchdowns against 6 interceptions. There was no QB battle in the 2012 spring. He was our guy. After 2012 then there was a QB competition in the 2013 spring, or at least supposed to be, with Berglund.

Heading into the 2011 spring I think Thompson and Osborn were our only scholarship QBs that spring.

• Upvote 1